Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM

84 posts, read 166,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It is far from a personal attack. Please reread your posts -- you do come across as sounding unhappy and ill-matched in your choice of communities and displeasure with the local PD.

If you feel strongly that LI has done little to accommodate young 20s such as the OP, what is your solution? I read your potentially disastrous plan to dismantle the NCPD and am curious as to what you suggest.

Eastern Nassau and western Suffolk would be ideal for rezoning for apartment complexes given their proximity to NYC, Melville, Hauppauge, LIRR, LIE, NSP and SSP. Wang's Lighthouse would have been good, the proposed facility in Brentwood, too. Increase rail service, add an express shuttle over the LIE.

Would you welcome down zoning in your community for apartments to house LI's 20-somethings? Would you welcome more congestion? If the Tpke is a mess now, what will it be after that?

Excuse me, but you are mixing up posts and threads again. The OP's question has nothing to do with traffic enforcement, so why are you bringing it up? The fact is there would be no increase in traffic because the 20-somethings are already here, they just living at home with mom and dad. So it's just a matter of affordable housing, and yes I would be for it, and we have a certain amount of land right here in Nassau County at the old Grumman facility. Cablevision headquarters is already at this site and I would be all for building something akin to what was done for seniors on this property too.

But I can tell you the biggest resistance is coming from the Real Estate industry. They do not want affordable housing because it cuts into their sales commissions. They don't want to sell $200,000 units they want to sell $400 and $500,000 dollar units. It's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
Excuse me, but you are mixing up posts and threads again. The OP's question has nothing to do with traffic enforcement, so why are you bringing it up? The fact is there would be no increase in traffic because the 20-somethings are already here, they just living at home with mom and dad. So it's just a matter of affordable housing, and yes I would be for it, and we have a certain amount of land right here in Nassau County at the old Grumman facility. Cablevision headquarters is already at this site and I would be all for building something akin to what was done for seniors on this property too.

But I can tell you the biggest resistance is coming from the Real Estate industry. They do not want affordable housing because it cuts into their sales commissions. They don't want to sell $200,000 units they want to sell $400 and $500,000 dollar units. It's as simple as that.
Not mixing posts -- an increase in population in an area will bring about increased congestion and traffic. If Suzy is moving to Bethpage from East Islip, that's a gain in population for Bpage.

If Grumman were developed into housing, the population would increase significantly and traffic would increase relative to the new population saturating the area. 1,000 new apartment equals a significant net gain.

As for realtors, adding apartments to an area where non exist wouldn't impact them. Adding lower cost townhouses where no housing currently exists gives the realtors more opportunities to make comission money.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
Long Island might not be the best option for you but I honestly think NYC wouldn't be any better, probably not Conn either. The nightlife might be nice but the expenses wont be cheaper. You might want to spend some time traveling a little to determine where you'd like to settle down. Then send out resumes before making the plunge. Nothing worse than moving to a new place without a job. Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM

426 posts, read 960,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Long Island might not be the best option for you but I honestly think NYC wouldn't be any better, probably not Conn either. The nightlife might be nice but the expenses wont be cheaper. You might want to spend some time traveling a little to determine where you'd like to settle down. Then send out resumes before making the plunge. Nothing worse than moving to a new place without a job. Good Luck.

Agreed.....OP, the lure of the city might be nice but the city is a lot more expensive than LI.....apartment prices can run you almost 2000 for a 1 bedroom in some parts. Plus, everything in general is more expensive as well in the city.

The nightlife and social scene is great, but if you don't have the money to do it, I would advise against it.

You can get a nice 1 bedroom apartment on LI for 1100 or 1200 if you look hard enough.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
It is far from a personal attack. Please reread your posts -- you do come across as sounding unhappy and ill-matched in your choice of communities and displeasure with the local PD.

If you feel strongly that LI has done little to accommodate young 20s such as the OP, what is your solution? I read your potentially disastrous plan to dismantle the NCPD and am curious as to what you suggest.

Eastern Nassau and western Suffolk would be ideal for rezoning for apartment complexes given their proximity to NYC, Melville, Hauppauge, LIRR, LIE, NSP and SSP. Wang's Lighthouse would have been good, the proposed facility in Brentwood, too. Increase rail service, add an express shuttle over the LIE.

Would you welcome down zoning in your community for apartments to house LI's 20-somethings? Would you welcome more congestion? If the Tpke is a mess now, what will it be after that?
Apartments are great, but your going to own an apartment in a high COL area, so they are going to cost a bunch like they do now, then what? Your priced out of a house by taxes alone never mind the exorbitant prices people want for their 1970s cape. Then there is the problem of this being a horrible area for job growth.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Apartment rents in Brooklyn and Queens would be comparable to much of the Island. However, if you plan to have a car, it is certainly more expensive and more of a pain. In addtion, NYC has an income tax for residents.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Apartments are great, but your going to own an apartment in a high COL area, so they are going to cost a bunch like they do now, then what? Your priced out of a house by taxes alone never mind the exorbitant prices people want for their 1970s cape. Then there is the problem of this being a horrible area for job growth.
If we created taxpayer subsidized low cost housing for the island's young, not unlike the subsidized Senior citizen apartments I recall in the Town of Oyster Bay, it gives the young the opportunity to stay here, save, and eventually buy.

Or do we totally forsake them?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 AM

82 posts, read 261,040 times
Why would anyone in their 20s want to stay on LI rather than the city? Your life will just be so much better working and living in the city. Its expensive but it is a great place to be with so much to do. If you can't afford Manhattan, find a place in Brooklyn, Astoria, Hoboken, Jersey City. Sorry, I just can't imagine how boring it must be for a single person on LI.

I'm moving to LI shortly, but I've now got a toddler and life is different. I'd rather have her grow up with a suburban childhood. Can't wait till she's off to college so we can move back to Manhattan!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM

54 posts, read 336,409 times
Quote:
If we created taxpayer subsidized low cost housing for the island's young, not unlike the subsidized Senior citizen apartments I recall in the Town of Oyster Bay, it gives the young the opportunity to stay here, save, and eventually buy.

Or do we totally forsake them?

Or some kind of voucher similar to the Section 8 program where young people who make under a certain income get a discount in housing.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
Simple:

NO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island