Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If we created taxpayer subsidized low cost housing for the island's young, not unlike the subsidized Senior citizen apartments I recall in the Town of Oyster Bay, it gives the young the opportunity to stay here, save, and eventually buy.

Or do we totally forsake them?
Oh sure..makes sense to me...let the hard pressed taxpayers subsidize little sonny boy's living accomadations.

If he wants to stay on LI...stay with Mommy and Daddy and save up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh sure..makes sense to me...let the hard pressed taxpayers subsidize little sonny boy's living accomadations.

If he wants to stay on LI...stay with Mommy and Daddy and save up.
You would toss granny in the Town of Oyster Bay housing to the curb as well?

You're already subsidizing her.

What if sonny boy isn't from LI but lands a job out of college with a local employer?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM

If Granny can't afford to live she can stay in gov't subsidized housing...granny probably has paid her taxes all her life.

Sonny boy is another story...stand or fall on your own...no taxpayer assistance for them.

and now you want me, and others, to support some hick from out of state too?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
live alone here in your early 20s? Absolutely no perk to doing it. Nothing to see, nothing to do for singles except a few small areas. You're much better off in the city. But beware the financial repercussions.

I was fortunate enough to be able to stay with my parents for 3 years after I graduated college, saved cash like my gf did and we then bought a house together.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
If Granny can't afford to live she can stay in gov't subsidized housing...granny probably has paid her taxes all her life.

Sonny boy is another story...stand or fall on your own...no taxpayer assistance for them.

and now you want me, and others, to support some hick from out of state too?
And what if she hasn't? What if she immigrated here a decade ago?

What is your solution for LI to retain the young, viable workforce as well as employers?

Who's going to be changing your dribble bib when you've become too old to properly care for yourself, but not enough of a burden to place in a home? Those aides need to be able to afford to live here.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM

54 posts, read 336,409 times
If they can give countless Superintendants and Principals salaries of $650,000+ a year NOT INCLUDING THEIR OTHER 6-FIGURE STAFF, then they can afford to give me a mere $200 discount on some kind of housing. It's not just for our benefit to keep young people on the island but for everyone elses. Where do you expect your next generation of Doctors and Medical Staff to come from? Especially with the aging baby boomer population? Do you seriously think anybody would commute from say Brooklyn or NJ to work in a hospital in the town of Brookhaven? dont' think so

They should be lucky there are actually even some young people who would consider staying on this boring over-priced closeminded island.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM

How about you go to school first, get a profession, start earning some money and then say anyone should GIVE you $200 to live.

This whole argument that we need to retain so called young people is ridiculous. This is a bedroom community to NY City...as long as the youth can prosper in NYC they may eventually move out here. We need to make Long Island attractive again for single family housing and not make it into NYC II.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Anybody ever hear of getting a roommate?! That's how we did it back in the day. WTF is "subsidized housing" for people in their 20's?! That's insane. Loosen up the permit stranglehold the towns have on private development and build some dang apartments near the railroads and we'll get some youth to stick around (maybe). Maybe even some economic growth (but now I'm being crazy, I know)!

I still would advise against it (youth staying on LI). Go to NYC, Austin, Boston, Raleigh, Ann Arbor...etc. Get some roomates, have a blast. You can come back to LI to raise a family and get fat and old later, assuming any businesses or jobs are still here.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Quote:
How about you go to school first, get a profession, start earning some money and then say anyone should GIVE you $200 to live.

This whole argument that we need to retain so called young people is ridiculous. This is a bedroom community to NY City...as long as the youth can prosper in NYC they may eventually move out here. We need to make Long Island attractive again for single family housing and not make it into NYC II.

Does "bedroom community" mean "no economic engine?" Awesome. Keep clinging to LI, circa 1955. You and Kate Murray. We need forward thinkers like you guys. It's possible to have "attractive single family housing' and still have downtown business districts. Every other thriving metropolis in the developed world does it. Except here on NIMBY island where time (and development) stand still.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Obviously you are the one thinking in the 1950s. I hate to inform you but Grumman is gone..so is Republic...and so is all the small industry that thrived on Long Island. So accept that it is a suburb of NYC and will not be some economic powerhouse on its own.

Many cities have suburbs that don't need to worry about Coliseums...and where their disenfranchised youth are going to live...and how to revive crumbling and useless downtown areas..

Come to grips that you can't change lead into gold. Long Island is a bedroom suburb of NY...and it would work just fine like that if the pie-in-the sky thinkers and power hungry pols would just stop trying to "improve" everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island