Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 AM

100 posts, read 222,568 times

Advertisements

Sellers broker says she is 99% sure they will accept. The house is in Sayville on a very quiet street near the soccer field on Cherry and Tariff. It is Connetquot schools (even though Cherry Ave- Sayville is closer then Bosti LOL) They would go to Bosti, then Oakdale bohemia middle.

Thank you very much for your feedback in the past about this area. I feel pretty good about it If you have any more comments about this area I would love to hear it.

School budget info
Athletics etc

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
The colonial with no basement and no garage listed at 339? That's a still a good price despite those factors.

Connetquot is one of the better "big" school districts on LI. Taxes tend to get much higher the further south you go in the district. Athletics are popular as in all bigger districts. The high school ranks just behind that of a bigger money district like Commack and considerably ahead of other big districts with similar demographics like Sachem in 2007 rankings.

Personally I think it's a sleeper area that a lot of people here tend to overlook. Obviously the Ronkonkoma end is considered "ok" (Ronkonkoma Middle School is not as highly regarded as Oakdale/Bohemia), Bohemia is "good", Oakdale is "better"...the handfull of houses in Sayville are on the better end.

Connetquot,High School,Suffolk County, New York

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 AM

It has a full basement.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
It has a full basement.

Nice. Taxes are a little rough but that house is priced to sell. Rare these days, a lot of people clinging to 2006 with ridiculous listing prices 15-20% above what anything sold for in the last year...then the house is still sitting there 9 months later....hoping for a sucker to come along? Even then does the bank appraise it?

Looks like they want out quick. I think you're making a sound choice.

The school budget passed relatively smoothly this year. The library is good. I'm in the district now and looking to upgrade. I'm not bound to it but I have no problems staying if we find the right house.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default A map of the Connetquot Central School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Connetquot Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma, the Hamlet of Bohemia, the Hamlet of Sayville, the Hamlet of West Sayville, the Hamlet of Oakdale and the Village of Islandia.

A map of the Connetquot Central School District:

Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 PM

bump

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
bump
I was going to PM you in more detail but you have that feature disabled.

My experience on this forum is that very few people know much if anything about Connetquot School district. It's almost always overlooked when people list "good" areas for places like Sayville and Bayport/Bluepoint. This is probably based on the fact that it is a big district and that Ronkonkoma is part of it, which everyone exaggerates as being a "bad" area or something. Ronkonkoma is basically the same demographics as places like Holbrook or Holtsville in Sachem district, with a few more older and crappy houses in a few specific areas.

At the same time, they are touting areas with similar demographics but worse schools than Connetquot.

I live in the district and my wife is a public school teacher in another district. Anecdotally, I know a half dozen or so people who send kids to Connetquot, and they all speak highly of it, including other teachers at my wifes school. You're not making a mistake.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,805 times
I lived in Oakdale for 10 years & my older child is a graduate of Connetquot (2005). He was in special ed, the the district had excellent programs and teachers during the time will lived there. Overall it was a great place to live. You should be aware that the area has had a siginfigant problem with adults & teenagers and opiate abuse. I think its getting better, there have been a few major arrests in the area and I know SCPD has a heroin task force working in the Oakdale/West Sayville area.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I lived in Oakdale for 10 years & my older child is a graduate of Connetquot (2005). He was in special ed, the the district had excellent programs and teachers during the time will lived there. Overall it was a great place to live. You should be aware that the area has had a siginfigant problem with adults & teenagers and opiate abuse. I think its getting better, there have been a few major arrests in the area and I know SCPD has a heroin task force working in the Oakdale/West Sayville area.
Smithtown, Hauppauge, Ronkonkoma, Massapequa, Medford, Miller Place..etc, ad infinitum all have similar issues. They had a meeting at Hauppauge high school not long ago about this issue.

It's all over Long Island. I'm not saying it isn't an issue in Oakdale, but are there any statistics to back up that it is worse in Oakdale? I know that bigshot heroin dealer lived in Oakdale, but does that mean everyone he was dealing to lives there?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,604 times
walter
If sayville,west sayville kids go to Connetquot who goes to sayville schools?Your map shows Connetquot schools go down to the bay.I guess I'm paying school taxes to the wrong district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island