Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 04:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
^^^ Miami Floridian here. Remember to park your cars on slight HILLS where it's elevated. Your cars sitting in several feet = no more car. It happened to me
How does someone in FL park cars on a hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 04:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How does someone in FL park cars on a hill?
ROTFL - good question

Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Hey Bob, when did you move from Baghdad to Long Island?
Hurricane Earl

ZOMG!!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM

HEH...Now that this tropical pussycat is weakening more people are climbing aboard the pessimist bandwagon.

PS- The liquor stores were empty. may want to stock up for the "hurricane" party. I will be serving hurricanes at mine and they will be a lot stronger then what mother nature will serve up.

Hurricane, New Orleans Style recipe

1 oz white rum
1 oz Jamaican dark rum
1 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
3 oz orange juice
3 ozunsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 oz grenadine syrup
crushed ice

Old 08-26-2011, 04:45 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Now thats information I can use!...

Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
HEH...Now that this tropical pussycat is weakening more people are climbing aboard the pessimist bandwagon.

PS- The liquor stores were empty. may want to stock up for the "hurricane" party. I will be serving hurricanes at mine and they will be a lot stronger then what mother nature will serve up.

Hurricane, New Orleans Style recipe

1 oz white rum
1 oz Jamaican dark rum
1 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
3 oz orange juice
3 ozunsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 oz grenadine syrup
crushed ice

Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,959 times
This is from 4 mins ago weather.

The National Weather Service placed Long Island and New York City under a hurricane warning Friday evening as residents across the region braced for Hurricane Irene.
The outer fringes of Irene, packing hurricane-force winds, will likely be felt in the Long Island area Saturday afternoon, and forecasters said the worst weather is expected Saturday night and Sunday morning.
The National Weather Service said it is still too early to predict the exact strength of the wind or the height of tidal surges, but it said the storm will pack winds of 74 mph to 96 mph.

I still believe this will not be much comapred to Gloria, especially by the time it strikes LI.

Still be prepared for the worst though.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 PM

129 posts, read 478,303 times
Default Please be ppapared live in fl 30 yrs,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I lived in Orlando Florida in 2004 when we had 3 hurricanes come through Central Florida within a 6 week period.

Believe it or not, taping and boarding windows doesn't do much good. Google it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurricane shutters work well, but I can't imagine you being able to get them installed before Sat/Sun, plus I have no idea how expensive they are.

Here are some tips:

Fill up any cars you have to full. The lines at the gas stations were incredibly long for a week after each hurricane.

Fill your tub(s) with water to use if the toilet stops working. You can fill the toilet with the bath water and use to flush.

Have flashlights and batteries.

Have non-perishable food and water. Lights could be out for a week or more. They were in Florida and were on LI during Hurricane Gloria where I lived.

Try to keep your gadgets as charged as possible. Use your cell phone sparingly and only when necessary. Even better get a charger you can use in the car. You may not have electricity, but run your car for 10 minutes and charge the phone.

Have games, books, anything to entertain yourself without needing electricity.

Still 3 days away. Anything could happen and I wouldn't panic yet, but keep an eye on things.
Some more tips, yrs do not tape windows it does not work!!!!! As for plywood it can protect windows if it is put in the proper way. Since tou guys arent use to hurricans plywood could help. It seems to be a cat. 1 or 2 commin your way. You all ned to be parpared for a cat 2. Better safe then sorry. Thats how I look at it in south fl. Here are more tips
1. Take Freezer Bags ex ziplock bags FILL THEM UP WITH WATER PUT IN FREEZEER

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Oh My!!

The eye is eroding already...shame

I should really stop posting the inevitable. I really want to see the south shore evacuated.

https://www.gplus.com/Hurricanes/Ins...h#.TlguQl1DSSo

Hurricane? New Yorkers soak up the beach - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-yorkers-soak-beach-225117758.html - broken link)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh.../260900.shtml?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,711,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
BLAH...its only gonna be 75mph winds and rain when it gets here. Why is everyone acting like its the end of the world??
You're kidding right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island