Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 AM

8 posts, read 15,610 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a house very soon. We're moving from Brooklyn. My mother is a senior Italian immigrant and I'd like to bring her back into an Italian neighborhood. A place where she can walk to church and stores and maybe talk to other people in her native language. I've never been to Franklin Square, but from what i've read in these forums it may be the place i'm looking for. Now, i've read that you should look north of Hempstead Tpke but doesn't that rule out most of Franklin Square? On which streets should i be looking where we'd be close to a catholic church and shops and Italian folk with tomato plants in their gardens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:40 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
the church there is St. Catherine of Sienna...not a great location for a walking senior.

the breezy hill section of Westbury is all Italian and many off the boat. Parish is St. Brigida. Ask a Westbury realtor for help.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 AM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
Agree with Twingles. Crossing Hempstead Tpke or New New Hyde Park Road is dangerous for young people. There is section of FS west of New Hyde Road from the Tpke to Tulip Ave that could meet your need for church.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,898 times
My inlaws (from Calabria & Naples) live in Franklin Square - near Herman Blvd. and Hempstead TPK. Seems like there are a lot of Italian living there. Actually, the brothers that decided to stay in the US all stayed in Franklin Square.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
My inlaws (from Calabria & Naples) live in Franklin Square - near Herman Blvd. and Hempstead TPK. Seems like there are a lot of Italian living there. Actually, the brothers that decided to stay in the US all stayed in Franklin Square.
That would be a good area, close to the church with no crossing main roads.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
I live in FS and yes, crossing the turnpike for a senior is scary. It's scary for young people, too. I live a few blocks from St. Catherine's. If you would like your parents to be close to the church so they can walk to it then I would look on the north side of the turnpike. I love FS. I lived in Queens my whole life and grew up in an Italian neighborhood. The first 4 houses on my block are Italian families. There's lots of bakeries and pork stores too--but just keep in mind that they aren't all within walking distance. There's also a store on Hempstead just past Franklin Ave that sells Italian imported items.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 AM

796 posts, read 1,755,972 times
Franklin Square was once very Italian and contained a lot of off-the-boat immigrants - including my grandparents. However, they have since left Franklin Square and so did many of their friends (however, even today it is still almost 50% Italian).

My grandparents lived on Barrymore Blvd and they had a lot of friends around their house, however, they did have trouble selling it because the house was in Elmont SD.

As to which areas are still "native Italian" now, I am not sure, since it has probably changed since a few years ago. I would recommend going their yourself and looking for Italian-speaking-tomato-planting neighbors!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Franklin Square was once very Italian and contained a lot of off-the-boat immigrants - including my grandparents. However, they have since left Franklin Square and so did many of their friends (however, even today it is still almost 50% Italian).

My grandparents lived on Barrymore Blvd and they had a lot of friends around their house, however, they did have trouble selling it because the house was in Elmont SD.

As to which areas are still "native Italian" now, I am not sure, since it has probably changed since a few years ago. I would recommend going their yourself and looking for Italian-speaking-tomato-planting neighbors!
It's more than 50% Italian. How long ago did your grandparents live there that the house was in the Elmont SD? The zones have changed over the years.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:56 AM

796 posts, read 1,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
It's more than 50% Italian. How long ago did your grandparents live there that the house was in the Elmont SD? The zones have changed over the years.
They left about 10 years ago I think

Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
They left about 10 years ago I think

I'm there almost 5 years. It's still very Italian, which is one reason why I chose the area. Lucille Street (1 or 2 blocks from Barrymore), is actually Elmont but that block is zoned in the FS district. When I bought the house they said the zoning changed years back.

If you go more towards the center of FS like Franklin Ave and NHP Road, it's still very Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island