Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,995,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
i tip my barber everytime i get my haircut. i tip my mailman at christmas. I tip anyone that brings me services such food or cable.
Barber, yes.
mailman, no.
Food delivery, yes.
Cable, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,175,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Because being happy with the job is the only real option for a service call. If you are unhappy, likely the work was not done. I don't pay people directly for doing their job unless it's someone who does very specific work for me, like a barber.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Boy, you really read into things too much or too little. If the cable guy comes over and does his job, you might be satisfied with what he did but not thrilled. Then again, he might go the extra mile and give you a few extra feet of cable, or replace an old splitter, or he might just be nice to an annoying kid that is pestering him. Like I said, happy with the job, not that he did the bare minimum and left. You can actually have a service person come over and he or she leaves a very good impression when they leave. Not all mailmen, cable guys, etc...are the same and they should be tipped or not tipped accordingly. That's the meaning of being happy with a job and not just satisfied.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Barber, yes.
mailman, no.
Food delivery, yes.
Cable, no.
So let me see if I understand. You'll tip a barber (I also tip them) who you might see once every few weeks or once a month but you won't tip a guy who has to deal with the rain, snow,90 degree temperatures, and freezing temperatures who delivers you letters, magazines and packages 4-6 days a week? Well unless the service you are receiving is bad or unless you have a po box, it makes no sense. One you see all the time. The other you see when you have a need. Do you tip your doctor when you go see him? Obviously a doctors salary is going to be higher but tipping the barber would essentially be the same as tipping the doctor.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,989,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
So let me see if I understand. You'll tip a barber (I also tip them) who you might see once every few weeks or once a month but you won't tip a guy who has to deal with the rain, snow,90 degree temperatures, and freezing temperatures who delivers you letters, magazines and packages 4-6 days a week? Well unless the service you are receiving is bad or unless you have a po box, it makes no sense. One you see all the time. The other you see when you have a need. Do you tip your doctor when you go see him? Obviously a doctors salary is going to be higher but tipping the barber would essentially be the same as tipping the doctor.
IMO I don't tip the USPS guy but I don't ever see him and don't want to leave money lying around. I guess I would if I saw him around the holidays.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,893,721 times
You should definitely tip the cable guy generously if you want him to give you the same "service" as the pizza guy!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,995,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What kind of logic is this??

My logic is as follows: IDK about you, but I go to an old fashioned master barber. My barber can give a good 10 minute haircut, or a 60 minute haircut, all for $15. He can if he chooses, to have you on your way in 10 minutes. If my barber did this he would receive no tip from me. Am I rude? You might say so. But this, in my eyes, is that he provided a service he advertised, for the price as advertised. End of transaction. He can make $90/hr doing this. But oh, it would be the last time I saw him.

However, the relationship I have with my barber is different. You take a guess as to how long I spend in his chair. As long as my guy can afford the time to let me sit in his chair for however long it takes, and pay very close attention to detail and give me exactly what I want, using premium tools, products, and techniques that the next guy around the corner doesn't even possess, I will continue to tip him $15 (100%) every time. I try to go see him mid-week in the middle of the afternoon, so he doesn't have anyone waiting in line after me. He provides a service that is above and beyond any standard barber job. And that's why I tip my barber.

The mailman on the other hand provides a service that is on par with every mail service I've experienced during my life here in the US. Nothing great, nothing bad. In fact I can't think of anything they could do beyond their required duy to warrant a gratuity. Will he do a worse job if I don't tip him? Will he do a better job if I do? If so, how? He delivers mail, and takes outgoing mail from my box. That's it. If my mail stopped coming on 90 degree days, I would call the postmaster and submit a complaint before I tried tipping the carrier.

Same thing with the cable guy, if he comes to the house and hooks up my cable box, in the location I specify, I don't understand how he can do a better job? Clean up the mess that they are required to? Give you all the receipts and documentation that they're required to give you? Maybe, just maybe they'll walk you through setting up your dvr, or even a wireless network, but IMO that's milking it, especially if I didn't ask for it. Kind of like the Jamaicans at Sandal's who want to help you carry your bag from the taxi to the curb. I don't tip them, either.

Food is same logic as barber, I can get my food on any spectrum from cold to hot, and intact to corner-drifting, back-seat-sliding mess. I tip the kid to make sure it's in his interest to deliver my food hot and intact.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM

89 posts, read 204,634 times
I only tip when a service person does major repair work. If it is just a quick fix then I don't feel a need to tip.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandnativegal View Post
I only tip when a service person does major repair work. If it is just a quick fix then I don't feel a need to tip.
This at least makes sense. A quick in and out job doesn't necessarily warrant a gratuity.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,962,917 times
Not if he's a tattooed thug on your roof without your permission.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
What kind of logic is this??

My logic is as follows: IDK about you, but I go to an old fashioned master barber. My barber can give a good 10 minute haircut, or a 60 minute haircut, all for $15. He can if he chooses, to have you on your way in 10 minutes. If my barber did this he would receive no tip from me. Am I rude? You might say so. But this, in my eyes, is that he provided a service he advertised, for the price as advertised. End of transaction. He can make $90/hr doing this. But oh, it would be the last time I saw him.

However, the relationship I have with my barber is different. You take a guess as to how long I spend in his chair. As long as my guy can afford the time to let me sit in his chair for however long it takes, and pay very close attention to detail and give me exactly what I want, using premium tools, products, and techniques that the next guy around the corner doesn't even possess, I will continue to tip him $15 (100%) every time. I try to go see him mid-week in the middle of the afternoon, so he doesn't have anyone waiting in line after me. He provides a service that is above and beyond any standard barber job. And that's why I tip my barber.

The mailman on the other hand provides a service that is on par with every mail service I've experienced during my life here in the US. Nothing great, nothing bad. In fact I can't think of anything they could do beyond their required duy to warrant a gratuity. Will he do a worse job if I don't tip him? Will he do a better job if I do? If so, how? He delivers mail, and takes outgoing mail from my box. That's it. If my mail stopped coming on 90 degree days, I would call the postmaster and submit a complaint before I tried tipping the carrier.

Same thing with the cable guy, if he comes to the house and hooks up my cable box, in the location I specify, I don't understand how he can do a better job? Clean up the mess that they are required to? Give you all the receipts and documentation that they're required to give you? Maybe, just maybe they'll walk you through setting up your dvr, or even a wireless network, but IMO that's milking it, especially if I didn't ask for it. Kind of like the Jamaicans at Sandal's who want to help you carry your bag from the taxi to the curb. I don't tip them, either.

Food is same logic as barber, I can get my food on any spectrum from cold to hot, and intact to corner-drifting, back-seat-sliding mess. I tip the kid to make sure it's in his interest to deliver my food hot and intact.
If the cable guy comes over and adds a line it's one thing. If he does that and programs the cable box and your tv to the universal remote, do you tip him then? That's what i'm talking about. Some people naturally go the extra mile while others do the bare minimum. Your mailperson might deliver the wrong mail to you frequently or maybe no mistakes ever and it's not if he skips your house due to 95 degree temperatures, it's the fact that he endures those temperatures and still does a good job. Maybe you need to analyze personal decency. The decent person notices the guy sweating bullets in the tin can that makes a 95 degree day feel like 110, and offers that guy a water. The cheap guy chalks it up as being part of his job. So you tip your barber $15 each time. Is it asking alot to tip the mailman that amount once a year? You need to answer that for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island