Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Bayside High and dont recommend it to anyone. My husband graduated from Baldwin HS and the education he received there was much better than mine even though I managed to get AP credit as a college freshman because of AP tests, and learned Latin. I cant fathom how bad Bayside is now, with the influx of new residents from Flushing and other parts of Queens and 2nd generation immigrant young families who just "upgraded" to Bayside/Whitestone.

The school districts on the Island are much better, in terms of curriculum and extracurrical opprtunities, social/socioeconomic standing of fellow classmates and percentage of parents who care a great deal about education in general.... and there is no guarantee that your kid will even get into a top HS like Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, etc because the competition for spots at those schools is extremely fierce for all NYC high school applicants.

I also recommend Port Washington. While you do get more bang for your buck moving to RVC, Merrick, Bellmore, Seaford, etc (Babylon LIRR line), your commute to midtown Manhattan will easily be 1 hour or more door to door (including the 10-15 min drive to the LIRR station every morning).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 AM

59 posts, read 91,110 times
Okay, I agree with the "stay away from Bayside High" sentiment, but it's ludicrous to compare "above average" high schools on Long Island to Cardozo High School. It is one of the top-rated schools for science and technology (and especially science research) in the nation, and the only schools in the city that would top it in that field are the "entrance-exam" schools like Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, and Stuyvesant. The DaVinci Science program there is phenomenal, and if the student is zoned for the school, they can enter the program without having to go through the same application process as other NYC residents. They always have numerous Intel semifinalists every year, and often place in the top two or three in the state in the Science Olympiad competition. The only schools that would compare to in in this field on LI would probably be Cold Spring Harbor and Ward Melville. If science is not your thing, they also have law and performing arts programs (same deal with the waived application process for resident students). They have a separate office just for college application guidance, so students don't have to rely on their generic "guidance councellor" for this process. There are also numerous sections of any and all AP courses that a student may want to take.

I'm not saying anything against Great Neck schools, because I know that they are excellent. But it's very silly to assume that most, or even many, of the LI high schools are better than Cardozo, simply because it is a city school. I work in an excellent school district on Long Island, and have relatives that work in Great Neck. Still, I would say that Cardozo will give any LI school a run for its money. There's something to be said for the benfits of a school where the "taxpayers" don't have the power to dictate school policy (yes, I'm one of those too). Education should come before local politics.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
There's something to be said for the benfits of a school where the "taxpayers" don't have the power to dictate school policy (yes, I'm one of those too). Education should come before local politics.
Yes, let's leave it to the educational elitists.

And, while we're at it, let's do the same with all gov't functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island