Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM

149 posts, read 360,253 times

Advertisements

I just can't stand it. Whenever I meet someone from Nassau they are so stuck up and pretentious when I tell them I'm from Western Suffolk in the Ronkonkoma area. When they ask where in Suffolk and I tell them Ronkonkoma their reaction is always the same: "Oh, so you're way out there" or "Oh, so the east end" or "Oh that's way out east!". Listen up people: from the Ronkonkoma area, driving to the Nassau border on the LIE takes me 25 minutes (not rush hour or lots of traffic). Even the most eastern parts of Nassau are only like 15 miles from the Queens border, but that doesn't mean that being just over 30 miles from the Queens border in Ronkonkoma or 50 from Manhattan is far. Nassau people think they are so cool because they live another 20-30 minutes closer to the city...big whoop it's not that much closer. From Eastern Nassau the LIRR takes about an hour on the dot to get into Penn. From Ronkonkoma it takes about 1 hour 15 or 1 hour 20. Not a big difference at all unless you have the patience of a 6 year old. It is common knowledge that "the east end" begins at approximately Riverhead which is near the beginning of the 2 forks and everything east from there. "Out east" is NOT Western Suffolk 25 minutes from the Nassau border. I still know plenty of people who commute daily to Manhattan and Queens from around me, I have seen NYC cabs after driving for about 10-15 minutes on the LIE, I see company cars with NYC addresses, there are many people in the NYPD/FDNY from around here, etc. etc. Thus, it can't be nearly as far as many people think. People just love to exaggerate how close they are to NYC from Nassau and how far everyone else in Suffolk is. I think a big problem is the LIRR which makes people think Ronkonkoma is far because it takes a lot longer than it should to get to Penn. If we actually had up to date railroad infrastructure it would be easy to take trains into Penn that only take 45 minutes from Ronk. Even now on off peak non-express trains it takes under an hour to cross into Queens from Ronkonkoma. You Nassau people need to realize that just because you are close to NYC doesn't mean most people in Suffolk aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,381 times
so, are you saying you are too far????

Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 PM

149 posts, read 360,253 times
No. I am saying that Long Island is HUGE. People in Nassau think LI is just Nassau then "out east". It's so stupid and ignorant. I am sick of people messing around with me saying I'm out east or "mad far out" because I know I'm not. People like to exaggerate how far people in the Ronk area are from the NYC border. It just makes me mad because what they say makes no sense yet it's a common belief.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I agree, I am from Islip and people automatically think Central Islip, no not true, I am a few blocks from the East Islip Border idiot.Some people have gone as far as asking if I am near the Hamptons? Did these people flunk geograohy in school? or maybe they were absent that day LOL

Old 12-26-2011, 06:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Could this be a hold over from when Nassau County was part of Queens County?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
You're still on this? I grew up in Huntington. My western-Nassau-raised DH considered that the boonies. To me, growing up in Huntington, Ronk was "out east". Geographically speaking, it is true.

You need to get over this complex you have, or at least stop posting about it. Once was enough.

Happy Festivus.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...aggerated.html

Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're still on this? I grew up in Huntington. My western-Nassau-raised DH considered that the boonies. To me, growing up in Huntington, Ronk was "out east". Geographically speaking, it is true.

You need to get over this complex you have, or at least stop posting about it. Once was enough.

Happy Festivus.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...aggerated.html
LOL I knew this sounded too familiar.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,887 times
Our family in Nassau County thinks "out west" is the Poconos Michigan to them may as well be Malaysia

Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM

150 posts, read 297,828 times
Anything east of 110 is out east. Anything north of the Bronx is upstate. Former Nassau resident living out east in Islip now.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,314,125 times
We moved to Smithtown in 1987. Even back then, the only cows I saw there were on top of Maureen's Kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island