Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
The people who say route 110 starts out east is mentally impaired and doesn't understand where the halfway points of objects are.
I use to live in Farmingdale (Nassau and Suffolk) . About 1/2 WEST of rt.110 BEGINS Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
Quote:
I just can't stand it. Whenever I meet someone from Nassau they are so stuck up and pretentious when I tell them I'm from Western Suffolk in the Ronkonkoma area. When they ask where in Suffolk and I tell them Ronkonkoma their reaction is always the same: "Oh, so you're way out there" or "Oh, so the east end" or "Oh that's way out east!". Listen up people: from the Ronkonkoma area, driving to the Nassau border on the LIE takes me 25 minutes (not rush hour or lots of traffic). Even the most eastern parts of Nassau are only like 15 miles from the Queens border, but that doesn't mean that being just over 30 miles from the Queens border in Ronkonkoma or 50 from Manhattan is far. Nassau people think they are so cool because they live another 20-30 minutes closer to the city...big whoop it's not that much closer. From Eastern Nassau the LIRR takes about an hour on the dot to get into Penn. From Ronkonkoma it takes about 1 hour 15 or 1 hour 20. Not a big difference at all unless you have the patience of a 6 year old. It is common knowledge that "the east end" begins at approximately Riverhead which is near the beginning of the 2 forks and everything east from there. "Out east" is NOT Western Suffolk 25 minutes from the Nassau border. I still know plenty of people who commute daily to Manhattan and Queens from around me, I have seen NYC cabs after driving for about 10-15 minutes on the LIE, I see company cars with NYC addresses, there are many people in the NYPD/FDNY from around here, etc. etc. Thus, it can't be nearly as far as many people think. People just love to exaggerate how close they are to NYC from Nassau and how far everyone else in Suffolk is. I think a big problem is the LIRR which makes people think Ronkonkoma is far because it takes a lot longer than it should to get to Penn. If we actually had up to date railroad infrastructure it would be easy to take trains into Penn that only take 45 minutes from Ronk. Even now on off peak non-express trains it takes under an hour to cross into Queens from Ronkonkoma. You Nassau people need to realize that just because you are close to NYC doesn't mean most people in Suffolk aren't.
I like it "way out here". My NYC friends talk about rats and mice, I talk about the deer and rabits.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 AM

150 posts, read 297,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I use to live in Farmingdale (Nassau and Suffolk) . About 1/2 WEST of rt.110 BEGINS Nassau.
I think this thread has made painfully obvious that the TS can't read a map, doesn't have a sense of humor or is doing a poor attempt at trolling.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 AM

194 posts, read 444,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Route 110 starts in Nassau and goes into suffolk towards Huntington which is in suffolk.
Please enlighten me as to where any part of Route 110 is in Nassau County.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Please enlighten me as to where any part of Route 110 is in Nassau County.
The only place I think it comes within a stones throw is at the Southern State Parkway. Exit 32S leaves you right at County Line Rd, and maybe 100' east of that is Rt 110

Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 AM

10 posts, read 18,415 times
Route 110 does not go through any part of Nassau County.
I think people assume that because it goes through East Farmingdale that it goes through Nassau, but East Farmingdale is in Suffolk County.

Also, if you look at the information on Wikiapedia about Route 110 you can see exactly where it goes through and they even list it as in Suffolk County, not Nassau.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
What a ridiculous thread. Who gets this worked up about this sort of thing? Will we be getting another thread on this topic in a month or so?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Only a few short years before you moved there, Yellow Top Farm was an actual farm, produce -- sans cows.
I was just talking to my mom about that. I grew up in nesconset and back in the 70's there was some farms along Nesconset Hwy. Now farmland is being pushed further east, which is so sad. The LI charm is hard to find.

As for the OP, who cares? I like cows and farmland. If you can live near a farm, which I do, it's the best of both worlds. I can look out my window at a beautiful view and be in the city in about an hour!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
What a ridiculous thread. Who gets this worked up about this sort of thing? Will we be getting another thread on this topic in a month or so?
Someone who lives way out in the sticks where there is nothing to do.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Google lists it as an 845 area code. That is Dutchess County. I would know I went to college in Dutchess County right by there.
Harvard on the Hudson, no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island