Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
so admit it...it's a DUMP
Nassau is more of a dump then suffolk will ever be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
ever hear of beating a dead horse? damn. At least Pequaman is reasonable. You might need to join autoracer in the broken record club!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
ever hear of beating a dead horse? damn. At least Pequaman is reasonable. You might need to join autoracer in the broken record club!
Will take over this place and make you all retreat

Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
If you believe the online databases, just this month a $12.3 mil house sold in Old Field (14,000 sq ft, taxes about $100,000) - one of 5 houses that sold for > $10 mil on Long Island in the past 3 months.

199 Old Field Rd, Setauket, NY 11733 | MLS# P1121960

It is a very nice area there at the light house, but I wonder if this is a data entry error - may have been $1.23mil?
Realtors (who presumably enter the data) seem to have little respect for zeroes sometimes . But could be real.

Speaking of million-dollar houses and zeroes, check this address in Rocky Point - I bet Massapequa does not have a property that has sold for $29.3 mil, low taxes too...

53 Mahogany Rd, Rocky Point, NY 11778
$29 MILLION?! I think you could buy every house in RP for that much money.

That's not a data entry error, that was Crooks' mansion.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
If you believe the online databases, just this month a $12.3 mil house sold in Old Field (14,000 sq ft, taxes about $100,000) - one of 5 houses that sold for > $10 mil on Long Island in the past 3 months.

199 Old Field Rd, Setauket, NY 11733 | MLS# P1121960

It is a very nice area there at the light house, but I wonder if this is a data entry error - may have been $1.23mil?
Realtors (who presumably enter the data) seem to have little respect for zeroes sometimes . But could be real.

Speaking of million-dollar houses and zeroes, check this address in Rocky Point - I bet Massapequa does not have a property that has sold for $29.3 mil, low taxes too...

53 Mahogany Rd, Rocky Point, NY 11778
199 OFR seems too high.

The RP home, such a bargain @ 29 million!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Will take over this place and make you all retreat
How about we buy a few acres and build a ginormous retreat?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:56 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Looks like you won't be winning poster of the year

Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Looks like you won't be winning poster of the year
You mean repeating suffolk is a dump over and over and over is not inciteful?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
You mean repeating suffolk is a dump over and over and over is not inciteful?
Oh, he is plenty inciteful, and sometimes even insightful.

I learned this new word from the highly intellectual discussions here. Kinda like it - a spin on "spiteful".
It is a real word but quite recent - in the Oxford English Dictionary since the 1970s.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 PM

200 posts, read 456,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I just can't stand it. Whenever I meet someone from Nassau they are so stuck up and pretentious when I tell them I'm from Western Suffolk in the Ronkonkoma area. When they ask where in Suffolk and I tell them Ronkonkoma their reaction is always the same: "Oh, so you're way out there" or "Oh, so the east end" or "Oh that's way out east!". Listen up people: from the Ronkonkoma area, driving to the Nassau border on the LIE takes me 25 minutes (not rush hour or lots of traffic). Even the most eastern parts of Nassau are only like 15 miles from the Queens border, but that doesn't mean that being just over 30 miles from the Queens border in Ronkonkoma or 50 from Manhattan is far. Nassau people think they are so cool because they live another 20-30 minutes closer to the city...big whoop it's not that much closer. From Eastern Nassau the LIRR takes about an hour on the dot to get into Penn. From Ronkonkoma it takes about 1 hour 15 or 1 hour 20. Not a big difference at all unless you have the patience of a 6 year old. It is common knowledge that "the east end" begins at approximately Riverhead which is near the beginning of the 2 forks and everything east from there. "Out east" is NOT Western Suffolk 25 minutes from the Nassau border. I still know plenty of people who commute daily to Manhattan and Queens from around me, I have seen NYC cabs after driving for about 10-15 minutes on the LIE, I see company cars with NYC addresses, there are many people in the NYPD/FDNY from around here, etc. etc. Thus, it can't be nearly as far as many people think. People just love to exaggerate how close they are to NYC from Nassau and how far everyone else in Suffolk is. I think a big problem is the LIRR which makes people think Ronkonkoma is far because it takes a lot longer than it should to get to Penn. If we actually had up to date railroad infrastructure it would be easy to take trains into Penn that only take 45 minutes from Ronk. Even now on off peak non-express trains it takes under an hour to cross into Queens from Ronkonkoma. You Nassau people need to realize that just because you are close to NYC doesn't mean most people in Suffolk aren't.
I kinda wish I lived more out EAST.....must be nicer, quieter, roomier, and more peaceful there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island