Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times

Advertisements

rent there first... you've never lived together long term, and you don't know the area... easy solution.

BTW, I think the concept of "fitting-in" to an area is overrated. It sounds like an idea that one wants everyone there to like who you are. It's more about whether you like how the town is set up - shops, scenery, ambience. In your case... is PW like Queens or are you willing to change? I don't know why bother comparing PW to GC... you'll "fit in" fine as long as you don't expect either to be Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

56 posts, read 133,948 times
rh71 - I agree with you to some degree but I am somewhat fearful of rates going up over the next few years and it hurting our purchasing power quite drastically. What happens is anyones guess but we have lived at home for so long for this opportunity.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 98,971 times
I would never go to Franklin Square, not such an Italian presence there anymore like it used to be and your near Hempstead Tpke, dirty and not nice. I am a Queens girl and are looking to buy a house on the north shore and still be close to my family (they are in douglaston and middle village). so my husband and i are looking in port washington too. i am a teacher in nassau county so i know alot about the towns there. i will tell you that there are top school districts and there are good school districts....tops are port washington, half hollow hills (dix hills suffolk area), jericho, syosset, great neck, and cold spring harbor. those are your tops. if you still want a great neighborhood yet diverse then port washington is a great choice. garden city? not blue collar at all!!!! good luck

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks Alie - we actually just closed on a house in Port Washington and are very excited to be there. I am going to send you a seperate message - have a question for you

Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

883 posts, read 3,720,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alie621 View Post
i am a teacher in nassau county so i know alot about the towns there. i will tell you that there are top school districts and there are good school districts....tops are port washington, half hollow hills (dix hills suffolk area), jericho, syosset, great neck, and cold spring harbor. those are your tops. if you still want a great neighborhood yet diverse then port washington is a great choice. garden city? not blue collar at all!!!! good luck
Do you have a link to the rankings you are going by? The numbers I've seen all put Port Washington well below the other school districts you mentioned-- not anywhere near the same league. It's area we were considering, but we passed based on the numbers being much lower than other districts we were considering. We would reconsider if there was evidence that PW schools were on par with Jericho, Syosset, Cold Spring Harbor, etc. Thanks so much!!

Last edited by monkeygorilla; 03-26-2012 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
hi my name is Jean, chinese and i m now living in Flushing. My son is in 3rd grade and going to 4th grade this summer. Wanted to move to PW for his education purpose. Will rent a home/ apt for Sousa or Salem elementary school. Is there any after school prog for each school? will there any discrimination in school since we r asean. really worried...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanteh View Post
hi my name is Jean, chinese and i m now living in Flushing. My son is in 3rd grade and going to 4th grade this summer. Wanted to move to PW for his education purpose. Will rent a home/ apt for Sousa or Salem elementary school. Is there any after school prog for each school? will there any discrimination in school since we r asean. really worried...
Plenty of Asians in PW there, so wouldn't worry. As for after-school, I'd ask the schools since they probably have all that information. You and your son will be happy there. Great train to the city when you want.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Some observations:
1. Port Washington is a great town for diversity. It appears that people from all different backgrounds and incomes get along better than in some other communities. It also seems that there are fewer divisions between races, ethic groups, incomes, etc. I think some of that has to do with the more liberal politics in the area.
2. Schools are great in PW and you will always get your money out if you buy there. As you've already found out, the NYC commute is great and people pay extra for that.
3. South Shore is less diverse and working class communities are probably more white and conservative. For example, there are probably sections of Massapequa where you might not be all that welcome (yes, even in this day and age) if you were black or Hispanic. I'm just telling it like it is.
4. South Shore Nassau -- with good schools and a fairly decent commute -- used to be a great value alternative to higher-priced areas like Port Washington and Manhasset. However, the taxes on the South Shore seem to be rising faster than in some other parts of the Island and that bargain home you're looking at may already carry taxes of $15K-$20K or more. The tax base will likely further be hurt in these areas as the folks in flood zones seek reduced assessments and everyone else has to make up the difference.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanteh View Post
You have nothing to worry about as another poster noted. PW is a diverse area and there are plenty of asians there. PW schools is also a great district. Good Luck with your move!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM

We have been in PW for a year now and there is a huge Asian population from what I can tell. We are in the Beacon Hill section, and the neighbors behind us and across from us are Asian families. Btw Jean, I am from Flushing also. Lived there for 29 years. I wouldn't be worried about anything. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island