Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

56 posts, read 133,948 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am an Queens boy, born and raised in Flushing, close to Bayside. Everything I know is in that neighborhood - friends, family, the "routine" of my life. I still live at home as does my fiance, who lives in Bayside with her mom. This is what makes it even harder since we both have never lived on our own. I am very used to the easy routine of Queens, walking 5 minutes to the LIRR and getting into work.

We are looking to live in Port Washington, LI, and are curious to know a little about the town. I am an Italian American and my fiance is Puerto Rican. We both make good money and can afford to live there I think, but we have a very middle class and blue collar mentality when it comes to the things we like to do. Port is very close to the LIRR which makes it great, and would allow for us both to be only 15 min away from where we grew up.

My personal concern is PW being too quiet (i.e. the Beacon Hill area) or too upscale in mentality for two people looking to maintain their Queens roots but start a family outside of the borough. We are very sociable and love to meet new people, but dont want to feel like we are constantly "keeping up with the Joneses".

Looking for opinions (hopefully to put my mind at ease lol )

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

239 posts, read 509,417 times
I think Port Washington is an excellent choice for you. Unlike most areas of Long Island, Port Washington is diverse economically and somewhat racially. You have your upscale areas of Port Washington, as well as some middle class and more blue collar areas. And as you said, Port Washington is very close to Queens making it easy to visit your family.

Nassau County is generally more quiet than Queens, but you'll get used to it. Port Washington has a nice, walkable downtown area, which I'm sure you'll enjoying being that you're from Queens. If you're concerned about some areas being "too quiet", you can find some lovely homes within blocks of the downtown area making it feel more like the lifestyle of Queens such as being close to the stores, etc.

You can't go wrong with Port Washington. My aunt and cousins moved there many years ago and couldn't be happier. The school district is also very good too. As I said, I think you're making a great choice.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Thank you JCNNY - one place we saw that was a great deal was in the Beacon Hill area which is around a 10 to 15 minute walk to the LIRR and town - do you know anything about that area?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
PW is a solid choice but if I were in your shoes I would strongly consider renting for a while before deciding on where to put down roots.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcost1082 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am an Queens boy, born and raised in Flushing, close to Bayside. Everything I know is in that neighborhood - friends, family, the "routine" of my life. I still live at home as does my fiance, who lives in Bayside with her mom. This is what makes it even harder since we both have never lived on our own. I am very used to the easy routine of Queens, walking 5 minutes to the LIRR and getting into work.

We are looking to live in Port Washington, LI, and are curious to know a little about the town. I am an Italian American and my fiance is Puerto Rican. We both make good money and can afford to live there I think, but we have a very middle class and blue collar mentality when it comes to the things we like to do. Port is very close to the LIRR which makes it great, and would allow for us both to be only 15 min away from where we grew up.

My personal concern is PW being too quiet (i.e. the Beacon Hill area) or too upscale in mentality for two people looking to maintain their Queens roots but start a family outside of the borough. We are very sociable and love to meet new people, but dont want to feel like we are constantly "keeping up with the Joneses".

Looking for opinions (hopefully to put my mind at ease lol )

Thanks very much!
It seems to me based on your agenda/preferences, that there are a lot better options of towns for you. Port Washington is very very nice, but as you said - you have more of a blue collar mentality. I would Consider some nice areas in Central western Nassau. Some to consider...that is if you are not dead set on Port Wash.

-Garden City - whats not to like? Shopping, dining, beautifuly kept neighborhoods
-Franklin Square (Where me and my family are originally from) Solid upper middle class town, Heavy Italian presence, even today still.

If you are willing to look South Shore I would strongly suggest Wantagh, Seaford, the Massapequas - but these might be a bit far east for you.

These towns are still very nice (more so Garden City so people don't kill me for comparing it to FQ) yet have a much more working class attitude/style. Also they are better located in my opinion...closer to all. SSP, Hempstead tpk, etc.

BUT AFTER ALL THIS YOU ARE DEAD SET ON PORT WASHINGTON/ North Shore, then hey I wasted my time typing this!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

-ydsavaged

Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM

Thank you all. We did look at the South Shore and were AMAZED with what you get for your money there. But it just didnt feel like home growing up on the North Shore for our entire lives. Just felt too flat where as the North Shore has alot of hills etc. I get out of work lateish (between 6:30 and 8) and wanted the quick 37 minute commute from PW to Penn also to avoid going through Jamaica. In the end we just want to be happy and it seems like PW would provide that...

Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
It seems to me based on your agenda/preferences, that there are a lot better options of towns for you. Port Washington is very very nice, but as you said - you have more of a blue collar mentality. I would Consider some nice areas in Central western Nassau. Some to consider...that is if you are not dead set on Port Wash.

-Garden City - whats not to like? Shopping, dining, beautifuly kept neighborhoods
-Franklin Square (Where me and my family are originally from) Solid upper middle class town, Heavy Italian presence, even today still.

If you are willing to look South Shore I would strongly suggest Wantagh, Seaford, the Massapequas - but these might be a bit far east for you.

These towns are still very nice (more so Garden City so people don't kill me for comparing it to FQ) yet have a much more working class attitude/style. Also they are better located in my opinion...closer to all. SSP, Hempstead tpk, etc.

BUT AFTER ALL THIS YOU ARE DEAD SET ON PORT WASHINGTON/ North Shore, then hey I wasted my time typing this!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

-ydsavaged
If you have a blue collar attitude I would not suggest Garden City at all! I grew up there and it's mostly an upscale WASP culture. Sorry to say but anybody with a blue collar mentality in Garden City would not fit.

I wouldn't say Massapequa is blue collar either. Some areas of Massapequa can be very expensive.

Wantagh and Seaford I don't know enough about.

Franklin Square is probably the most blue collar, but the houses and streets in Port Washington are way nicer than Franklin Square IMO. I would say Port Washington School District is better than Franklin Square also.

Remember the OP said she wanted to stay close to Queens. Wantagh, Seaford, and Massapequa is probably out of her location range. And just because Port Washington is on the North Shore doesn't mean it's the same as its neighboring towns. In fact, Port Washington and Glen Cove are probably the only towns on the North Shore that are economically diverse.

Franklin Square, Wantagh, and Seaford are probably more blue collar than Port Washington. Massapequa is stretching it, but most definitely not Garden City.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM

I am actually a HE

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcost1082 View Post
I am actually a HE
So sorry about that! I guess because I saw fiance. Again so sorry!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 AM

LOL no worries at all - fiance goes both ways I guess? haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island