Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM

168 posts, read 338,593 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my SO and I are considering a move to Long Island next year. We have some time to get ourselves together and save but for now we are just looking. We want to keep costs at under $400k.

Any suggestions on where to look or feedback on particular areas would be greatly appreciated. I like townhouses but am aware that the maintenance fees can be really high. Like I said, we are just looking for now but are hoping to start our family and his brother lives out there with the wife and kids. Would be nice to be close to them. My mom is in Queens so not far from her either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM

80 posts, read 121,646 times
The Poet's section in Baldwin might suit you're needs. Also try South Hempstead as well. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

162 posts, read 383,602 times
baldwin, west hempstead, levitown, hicksville are areas with pretty affordable housing, for 400 u should be able to get a good size house in pretty decent condition in the above hamlets.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:14 PM

any townhomes in these areas that you know of?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Hi, I am adding to this thread hoping to get some ideas about townhomes in Baldwin and surrounding areas. Does anyone know of any townhouses? I don't know the particular sections of Baldwin, so if you have a suggestion on a particular complex, I would greatly appreciate it. When we visit, we try to try around but it is somewhat aimlessly.

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,994 times
I would PM Autoracer9, he is CD's foremost authority on condos and townhouses.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,754,600 times
There was a short sale in Baldwin for 199k in today's Newsday.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,166,892 times
I second this notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I would PM Autoracer9, he is CD's foremost authority on condos and townhouses.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,422,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutequeenslady View Post
Hi, I am adding to this thread hoping to get some ideas about townhomes in Baldwin and surrounding areas. Does anyone know of any townhouses? I don't know the particular sections of Baldwin, so if you have a suggestion on a particular complex, I would greatly appreciate it. When we visit, we try to try around but it is somewhat aimlessly.
Thanks in advance for your help
Forget TH and condo's for that price. Just go to Massapequa and call it quits. Not much further than Baldwin, good train to NYC, much better schools (for later and resale), good place to call home. If I had $400K, I'd buy a starter there now. I don't, so I'm looking nearby in Lindy.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 AM

909 posts, read 1,838,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Forget TH and condo's for that price. Just go to Massapequa and call it quits. Not much further than Baldwin, good train to NYC, much better schools (for later and resale), good place to call home. If I had $400K, I'd buy a starter there now. I don't, so I'm looking nearby in Lindy.

Yeah!! Forget about a home you can afford. Even if you can get a beautiful real custom built home for a affordable price screw that and move to an overpriced development where your house looks exactly like everyone elses. Who doesn't love those well built splits? Your kids will be nothing in life if you don't go to the very best of the best school. But seriously, my brother bought a piece of crap cape/ranch (those cheap bastard developers couldn't atleast throw in a couple doggie dormers) in Lindy. Make sure the house you are looking at doesn't have forced air either...my brother has to plug in space heaters in this tiny place. Also natural gas in your house would help you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island