Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
But at 65 medicare becomes the primary insurance and the districts plan supplements that. What is the cost of a medicare eligible retiree's plan? Should be a lot less, no? I will try to find out.
How about the droves of teachers who retire at 55 and get 10 years' of health insurance on the taxpayers' dime? Not only for themselves, but for their FAMILY.

I wish my job would let me retire at 55 and provide a health insurance plan until I am Medicare age.

The taxpayers should not be responsible for this. If they want to retire early, then they should get their OWN health insurance like everybody else (in the private sector) has to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How about the droves of teachers who retire at 55 and get 10 years' of health insurance on the taxpayers' dime? Not only for themselves, but for their FAMILY.

I wish my job would let me retire at 55 and provide a health insurance plan until I am Medicare age.

The taxpayers should not be responsible for this. If they want to retire early, then they should get their OWN health insurance like everybody else (in the private sector) has to.
Just pointing out that the healthcare is not really "for life".

Not to worry, "Steamroller Andy" will make sure everyone works alot longer.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're delusional. My DS' former kindergarten teacher was making $125K last time I checked a few years ago, with 20 years service. That's for 6 hours a day with a bunch of 5 year olds.
Six hours a day with a bunch of 5-year-olds and that's ALL he/she was making?

Seriously, though, that is a bit much. Maybe. Depends on how many "a bunch" is. Say, more than three.

My niece is a kindergarten teacher. She made nothing near that on Long Island, but she also didn't have 20 years of service before leaving for the educational pit of despair that is Florida, where her salary was almost in "why bother" territory. Fortunately, they got out of there. Not sure if she'll teach in their new state (not New York).

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
There is a lot more ca$h out there than just tips. Completely different topic but the cash economy is huge.
When you're comparing the 'average' teacher -- who is employed by a school district, to the average plumber -- who is employed by a plumbing company (trying to keep it as level as possible) the plumber employee will not be seeing cash other than tips. Many of the larger companies are working for companies who in turn pay them via check. It's the small, independent guys who might have an underground cash business.

Then again, those teachers who are being hired as tutors on the side are doing a nice cash business, too.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
A 'gym teacher' making 150,000.00 a few years back was a rare bird unless he was racking up the coaching, drivers ed, supervision, or extracurricular stipends. Or, he was teaching an extra class - and this does happen. It is not at all unusual for a 'gym teacher' to be the highest compensated teacher in a district - given the availability of coaching stipends. At this point I don't think any teachers on long island earn a base salary of over $140,000.00 and those would be at the 30+ year mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Go to SeeThroughNY :: Home and look up compensation in your school district. It is not such a rare bird and also happens sooner than the 30 year mark.
I went to the site, I only could view net pay (coaching and extracurricular) not base pay. Nevertheless, one teacher, whom I happen to know is a three sport varsity coach, earned over 150K in 2010. He has been there forever too. No other teacher had a NET pay of over 150K. Rare bird inded. FYI I did see 11 administrators earning over 150K which might account for some of the confusion.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 02-17-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
At this point I don't think any teachers on long island earn a base salary of over $140,000.00 and those would be at the 30+ year mark.

The latest available data on STNY is from 2008. Central Islip SD...

The first 15 results made over $140k base salary and most made over $200k after whatever additional stipends they earned.

$205k
$202k
$197k
$179k
$174k
$173k
etc...

My wife is a teacher and she worked hard to get her degree (and we are still drowning in student loans) but when she reaches some of the higher steps in another 8 years or so, I think she'll be overpaid.
I checked the site and saw an enormous number of administrators as the top 20 earners but very few teachers with a base gross pay over 140,000.00 out of the hundreds of teachers employed at Central Islip. And those are 2010 and 2011 numbers. Eight years from now things may be a bit more costly - don't promise to give back your wife's salary yet.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
East Williston Director Health and Physical Ed made $168,116 for 2011 , three assistants made $133,000 and $128,332. $122,545.

Imagine what the physics and chemistry teachers make, Seems a bit high for a district that has only 1700 students.

The Wheatley School - Wheatley Staff Directory&

Link from 2 years ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...her-makes.html
That's not what I was asking. I was asking for the source of the info that made the poster think people need to make at least $200,000 on LI to live comfortably these days...

Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM

57,298 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Just pointing out that the healthcare is not really "for life".

Not to worry, "Steamroller Andy" will make sure everyone works alot longer.
Yes Medicare comes in at 65, but many people carry their existing health plan even after to cover expenses not included, why would a teacher get rid of a plan that is covered for life by their district (including dental by the way).

Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It depends on the district and what benefits they were hired under. It doesn't have anything to do with how long you've worked, benefits don't change, it's based on what "tier" you were hired under.
NYS Tiers have nothing to do with health benefits, Tiers apply to pension, health care payments are negotiated by each district as you mentioned and vary widely.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It depends on the district. I know teachers in about 6 different districts and not one of them has free healthcare.

I don't have my wife's check stub in front of me but I think our plan is 165 or 175 a month. Not exactly free.

The "cadillac" plan at my job (which is actually better than my wifes insurance) is $205 a month. Coverage that is basically the same as my wifes is something like $195.
If you can get a major health plan like Blue Cross, with Optical and Dental thrown in you are doing fantastic, some residents are paying those prices for next to nothing in health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island