Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,294 times

Advertisements

if diversity is on the menu, it seems odd to move to a completely homogenous area and limit diversity to the 8 am to 3pm timeframe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
if diversity is on the menu, it seems odd to move to a completely homogenous area and limit diversity to the 8 am to 3pm timeframe
I have to say I thought the same thing. Seems odd to be concerned with diversity, yet move to CSH/Laurel Hollow.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
Why not just move to a town with more diversity and very good public schools like Port Washington?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM

75 posts, read 142,701 times
Jez people, I didn't realize I was on trial here! I work in CSH and after YEARS of commuting from Park Slope want to be closer. I also commute with my toddler who is in day care at my place of business. This is becoming increasingly difficult. My husband works in Manhattan and the CSH LIRR station is about 5 minutes from my new home and gets him to Penn in under an hour. My parents also live nearby and we want to be near them as they get older. I grew up in Huntington and feel at home in the area. It's the only part of Long Island that I would consider living. I do not want to live in Manhasset or Port Washington. We looked in Harborfields (where I attended school), but it would have been be a more challenging commute for my husband and me. After months of searching and some disappointments, we found a home that we both absolutely love. Yes, I know Laurel Hollow is in Oyster Bay, but it has strong ties to CSH (obviously) and our home is 5 minutes from Huntington Village.

Given all of these top priority factors, I would also like my daughter to have some exposure to different types of people while getting a first-rate education which also addresses diversity as a value. If any of you can come up with a nice diverse neighborhood in/near northwestern Huntington (no Huntington Station jokes please) that incorporates all of these factors, please let me know.

My daughter's exposure to diversity will not be limited to the school hours, trust me.

Last edited by eraserhead79; 04-09-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Look into Centerport.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM

75 posts, read 142,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Look into Centerport.
Thanks. Already purchased in Laurel Hollow. As I said above, we looked into Centerport/Harborfields, but deemed it too far a commute for my husband. From what I can tell, Centerport's diversity is about on par with Laurel Hollow/CSH.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
You do not have to justify your decision. As your child gets older, there will be more options for exposing your child to children with different backgrounds through enrolling them in after-school programs at a karate school, dance school, tennis, other sports, and of course, summer camp. When they get into the teenage years, it's a good idea not only to ensure exposure to children from diverse backgrounds in the area, but expose them to kids from outside the NY metro area. It will all work out in time. Good luck to you and congratulations on your new home.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
Jez people, I didn't realize I was on trial here! I work in CSH and after YEARS of commuting from Park Slope want to be closer. I also commute with my toddler who is in day care at my place of business. This is becoming increasingly difficult. My husband works in Manhattan and the CSH LIRR station is about 5 minutes from my new home and gets him to Penn in under an hour. My parents also live nearby and we want to be near them as they get older. I grew up in Huntington and feel at home in the area. It's the only part of Long Island that I would consider living. I do not want to live in Manhasset or Port Washington. We looked in Harborfields (where I attended school), but it would have been be a more challenging commute for my husband and me. After months of searching and some disappointments, we found a home that we both absolutely love. Yes, I know Laurel Hollow is in Oyster Bay, but it has strong ties to CSH (obviously) and our home is 5 minutes from Huntington Village.

Given all of these top priority factors, I would also like my daughter to have some exposure to different types of people while getting a first-rate education which also addresses diversity as a value. If any of you can come up with a nice diverse neighborhood in/near northwestern Huntington (no Huntington Station jokes please) that incorporates all of these factors, please let me know.

My daughter's exposure to diversity will not be limited to the school hours, trust me.
Several posters including myself were struck by the irony of someone living in the whitest school district on Long Island (that is not a typo, CSH is famous for having NO minorities (no asians, no hispanics, no blacks) loking for diversity in schools. I suppose by diversity you mean racial diversity and not economic diversity although, again, CSH completely lacks that too!
Perhaps your parish (if applicable) and the Huntington Y can provide some measure of racial diversity if you feel this is something your children need to experience.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
Westbury friends school is a very nice nurturing environment and pretty diverse. It goes to 5th grade. There is also the long island school for the gifted in Huntington station.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,779 times
Speaking from a professional point of view, as someone who has worked in several districts (leaves), I have to tell you how much I loved the CSH district. Enthusiastic teachers and admins, and a district with vision--that hasn't lost sight of the fact that students need to be educated, not just prepared for tests. It's small, which helps. But they are doing great things with the kids there. It's not super diverse, of course, but they promote good values, and do a great job with integrating special needs kids. West Side is definitely worth a visit. You will like. Honestly, I can't say how much I liked it. Fab.

On the private side, East Woods is wonderful, and I've never heard anything but positives about FA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island