Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times

Advertisements

I dont post much here but I figured I'd let you all know the King Kullen in Hicksville has closed. Kind of a surprise, as I heard nothing on the news or announced on their web site. I saw the sign missing from there when I passed by today. First Goldman Bros, now King Kullen, Hicksville is having some problems.
That American Medical Bldg is all vacant and empty too with a fence around it. Looking more like PJS everyday over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I dont post much here but I figured I'd let you all know the King Kullen in Hicksville has closed. Kind of a surprise, as I heard nothing on the news or announced on their web site. I saw the sign missing from there when I passed by today. First Goldman Bros, now King Kullen, Hicksville is having some problems.
That American Medical Bldg is all vacant and empty too with a fence around it. Looking more like PJS everyday over there.
I wouldnt say PJS...... Delco Plaza has always been mostly fully leased. King Kullen suffers from being too expensive. People will graviate to cheaper places for the same stuff. Stop and Shop isnt far from there and there are 2 ShopRites in reasonable distance. Waldbaums is nearby but traffic on 106/107 makes that harder. Plus theres the Asian grocer on So Oyster Bay Rd and Old Country that has better meat and veggies too.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I thought King Kullen was more expensive than other chains.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I thought King Kullen was more expensive than other chains.
They are.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,182 times
KK is very expensive.... Since Asian population is high in that area, they go to the Indian stores buy the same thing for much cheaper. Economic tough times, every one wants to save money.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
They were supposed to have closed over 5 years ago. We got flyers in the mail to come down for a going out of business sale. Then it never happened.... they just remained open. Good way to get rid of stale inventory.

Anyway, the place is always dead in there. During lunchtime, the rest of Delco Plaza is packed though.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,055 times
I was just coming in to post the same thing, the store was always dead. Sometimes there would only be 2 cashiers open so I am suprised they lasted this long. I would stop in every so often if they had a decent weekly special on my way to/from Johns

Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM

322 posts, read 937,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I was just coming in to post the same thing, the store was always dead. Sometimes there would only be 2 cashiers open so I am suprised they lasted this long. I would stop in every so often if they had a decent weekly special on my way to/from Johns
I used to shop there all the time when I lived in Hicksville for that exact reason. Never had to worry about crowds, no shopping carts, or running out of inventory. The only thing I wish they did have at that time was self-checkout.

There is a Shop-Rite and a Trader Joe's only 5 minutes from that location. I can see why they went out of business, but you never know, they may just re-open as Wild by Nature.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM

239 posts, read 509,113 times
King Kullen is also very "meh" in my opinion. Most King Kullens don't nearly have as much selection as Stop and Shop, and as stated before the prices are higher. This may have something to do with the closing.

What we really need on Long Island is Wegman's

Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
King Kullen is also very "meh" in my opinion. Most King Kullens don't nearly have as much selection as Stop and Shop, and as stated before the prices are higher. This may have something to do with the closing.

What we really need on Long Island is Wegman's
agreed - but I do like their bakery. Produce in KK is ridiculously high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island