Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsuggestion View Post
CV seems to be making an effort to improve. Let me know when they get the NFL network. Also, do their boxes still take minutes to reboot after being shut off?

Matt
[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000050872/article/cablevision-signs-deal-to-carry-nfl-network-nfl-redzone[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
I went from CV after 8 years, to Fios, then back to CV when they offered to cut my bill by $35/mo. But the internet performance on CV was garbage, esp. at peak hours like when the kiddies would come home from school. My first experience with Fios was truly impressive, with lightning fast internet. NFL network wasn't bad either.

I'm currently with Fios and the internet performance is not as stellar. Just a few weeks ago, I paid $5/mo for a speed upgrade to 75/35. Well not a thing has changed, I'm still at 25/28 (not too bad but not as good as it was).

Now CV is calling with 50/25 (supposedly) and lot's of channels for $105/mo. Time to flip again?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I went from CV after 8 years, to Fios, then back to CV when they offered to cut my bill by $35/mo. But the internet performance on CV was garbage, esp. at peak hours like when the kiddies would come home from school. My first experience with Fios was truly impressive, with lightning fast internet. NFL network wasn't bad either.

I'm currently with Fios and the internet performance is not as stellar. Just a few weeks ago, I paid $5/mo for a speed upgrade to 75/35. Well not a thing has changed, I'm still at 25/28 (not too bad but not as good as it was).

Now CV is calling with 50/25 (supposedly) and lot's of channels for $105/mo. Time to flip again?
i have fios now, like you i was a long time cv customer, my neighbor just up graded to cv's new 50/25 internet speed...and it pales in comparison to my fios 50/25...their speeds are a joke, and not only that but i just found out that they have lost three more networks, speed, style and cmt. verizon has more channels and being one of the largest providers in the nation...as far as i have heard...haven't had any issues with losing channels!

dont do it, you will only be disappointed! I would call fios and ask for a tech to come out to double check your speeds and see where the issue is, if you have the 75/35 service but are only getting 25/28, they may be able to assist, they are super friendly on the phone and have a great customer retention department now!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleystar View Post
i have fios now, like you i was a long time cv customer, my neighbor just up graded to cv's new 50/25 internet speed...and it pales in comparison to my fios 50/25...their speeds are a joke, and not only that but i just found out that they have lost three more networks, speed, style and cmt. verizon has more channels and being one of the largest providers in the nation...as far as i have heard...haven't had any issues with losing channels!

dont do it, you will only be disappointed! I would call fios and ask for a tech to come out to double check your speeds and see where the issue is, if you have the 75/35 service but are only getting 25/28, they may be able to assist, they are super friendly on the phone and have a great customer retention department now!
Sounds like a good, dedicated Verizon employee to me.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
I miss FIOS. My SO needs high internet speeds for his work and Cablevision is crap. We've had a problem where the internet really starts to slow down and pings(?) really high around 8:45-9:00 at night. They've had people out here late to see what is happening and they can't figure it out. Never had this problem with FIOS, never had to have it serviced.

The only thing about Cablevision I like is being able to watch TV on the iPad while I'm in the kitchen, instead of spending money on another cable box and tv. Other then that, we wait for the day FIOS is available in Brookhaven. Which will be forever and a day.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Sounds like a good, dedicated Verizon employee to me.
He is right. With fios, you shohld be getting very close to the advertised speeds. If not, there def is a problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I miss FIOS. My SO needs high internet speeds for his work and Cablevision is crap. We've had a problem where the internet really starts to slow down and pings(?) really high around 8:45-9:00 at night. They've had people out here late to see what is happening and they can't figure it out. Never had this problem with FIOS, never had to have it serviced.

The only thing about Cablevision I like is being able to watch TV on the iPad while I'm in the kitchen, instead of spending money on another cable box and tv. Other then that, we wait for the day FIOS is available in Brookhaven. Which will be forever and a day.
upgrade to utra 100.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
upgrade to utra 100.
My SO knew someone at Cablevision he used to work with there and they actually did that for us for a month, but we saw no difference. Plus, it's an extra 50 bucks a month. My SO even bought a new router($200 later) to see if it was a router issue, but nope. Not it.

We've resigned to the fact that we have crappy internet every now and then.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
I had cablevision 50/25 for a while. Wanted to see how good Verizon FIOS was so I got their 50/25. Really saw no difference in the speeds. The speedtest for both services gave me about 53 down and 25 up.

Cancelled FIOS as part of the 30 day guarantee because they were way more expensive and they wanted to lock me in to a two year contract. This is for business internet.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
My SO knew someone at Cablevision he used to work with there and they actually did that for us for a month, but we saw no difference. Plus, it's an extra 50 bucks a month. My SO even bought a new router($200 later) to see if it was a router issue, but nope. Not it.

We've resigned to the fact that we have crappy internet every now and then.
extra $50 a month? sounds like you might have gotten robbed because they are offering it free for a yer right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island