Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 AM

113 posts, read 438,112 times

Advertisements

I got my bill today from Cablevision and cannot believe I am paying $181/mo for 1 DVR, 1 box, Silver basic package (no premium channels), Internet with $10 boost) and Phone Service. I called and asked how I can lower my bill and they said there ar eno promotions right now blah blah and I already used the triple play discount new customers get. I was at a friends house and his FIOS has twitter, youtube, streaming media, etc but he has every premium channel and pays more than I would and I just wanted to know - does anyone have a similar FIOS setup to my cablevision package (basic channels, 1 dvr, internet and phone) and how much are you REALLY paying monthly?

What are the pros and cons of FIOS? Is installation a pain? I personally detest News12 so it's not a push.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
There is already a whole thread on this halfway down the page. I don't think you are going to get anything new by starting a new thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...izon-fios.html

Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Do a search, there are a gajillion threads and posts regarding Cable vs. Fios

Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
I am thinking of switching over as well. I pay about the same as you but I have the HBO and Movie (Starz, Encore Etc...) and no boost.

The reason I am thinking of switching is my Internet speed. I'm only getting 2-4Mbs in the evening. This is crazy!!!! I'm paying for up to 15Mbs. I am not even close. Even off peak (after 11 pm) I'm maxing out at about 8Mps. I am not sure I want to upgrade to boost and still not get the 15Mps I am paying for now.

Not to mention I am just about sick of the slooooow menu. If I did not have a bunch of stuff on my DVR I would switch now.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Ok, one last time...

Cable/Fios both have good and bad. If you want to stick with Cable and get a better rate you have to call Fios, set up an installation date and get a work order/confirmation, which will be a number Fios gives you. Then call cable to cancel service, tell them you are going to Fios, they'll try to call your bluff to which you then back up with the work order number, and then, only then, will Cable play ball. They'll give you the current triple play offer again for the year.

For all the pro's and con's of cable vs. Fios, do a search on this forum. You'll be reading for days. BTW...I have Fios. I'm very happy with them.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
The optimum triple play does have one advantage. Free movies on Tuesdays at clearview. Also, Cablevision has Indian channels, but I am not sure if FIOS does. But I am paying 176$ for cable. I was paying 130 before my triple-play option expired.

I am getting FIOS in my neighborhood, so I will call them to get the 130 offer again.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM

113 posts, read 438,112 times
Sorry about starting the whole new thread - I moderate my own forum and I know it can be annoying - I got caught up in the BUT MY SITUATION IS.....

Seems FIOS is more advanced and offers more for less but I think I will try the setting up an appointment and see if Cablevison gives a flying crap if I leave.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM

189 posts, read 632,911 times
I am switching to Fios as soon as they get MSG HD. I need to watch my Islanders in High Def. Unfortunately, Cablevision owns MSG and they won't let go. Fios fiber optics can carry more HD channels than Cablevision - which is currently at it's peak.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
I know Verizon is taking Cablevision to court about not offering Verizon the option to offer MSG HD when they offer it to all the satellite companies. I believe my husband said that the court date is January 20th or something or other. I can't see Verizon not winning b/c Cablevision offers it to all the other companies but is holding Verizon hostage in a way by not letting them offer it for FIOS. Just thought I would let you guys know just in case this is what may be holding you back from ordering FIOS.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:35 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,539 times
I am moving and just set up FiOS (all 3 services) with a multi-room DVR for FAR, FAR less than I am paying for Cablevision (triple play). And they are guaranteeing me that price for 2 years. I am pleased as punch with my decision so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island