Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

All I know is that if Optimum doesn't get its arse in gear with its janky, choppy Internet out in mid-Suffolk this week, it's going to get drop-kicked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

44 posts, read 109,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Bottom line:
Quality-Fios
Cheap-Cable

I was very tempted to switch back, but I'd rather pay a little more for the better product.
The old saying you get what you pay for rings very true in this situation.
Actually, this is no longer true. When I switched from cable to fios about 8 months ago, i worked the salesman for about an hour for free DVR and eventually he caved. With cable i had one box and modem basic package, no phone service and my bill worked out to about $95 a month. After haggleing with the fios guy i now have basic tv and internet with DVR for $90 a month and couldn't be happier. Now FiOS is offerring all 3 services for $75 month with no contract.. i'm feeling a bit jipped..... haha

EDIT: BTW optimum sucks they harassed me endlessly to signup for the phone service. I still get calls from them even after asking them not to call and threatening a lawsuit and all that.

Last edited by GreenGuy; 09-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-30-2010, 02:56 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
I was paying Optimum $99 for the triple play and that included the Silver Package w/DVR and Optimum Boost for 2 years. That expired this month. My Optimum bill jumped to $176. I switched to the Family Cable and got rid of the Boost and that got it down to $156 a month. Ironically, Fios mailed me an offer this week to come back. All three services for $69 for two years. No fees!
Guess where I'm going?

Old 10-03-2010, 05:30 PM

74 posts, read 555,019 times
Does Fios have wifi?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM

97 posts, read 312,432 times
Yes, The modem has built in wireless and the technician configures the network before he/she leaves. I find the internet extremely stable as well. Highly reccomend FIOS.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
FIOS is so good I was contemplating turning down an apartment that only had Cablevision available.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM

74 posts, read 555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Yes, The modem has built in wireless and the technician configures the network before he/she leaves. I find the internet extremely stable as well. Highly reccomend FIOS.
Well I actually meant the wifi like the optomium around the community so you can use it almost anywhere. Not just in your house.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sseligson View Post
Well I actually meant the wifi like the optomium around the community so you can use it almost anywhere. Not just in your house.
It's available but it's not free and it's not as fast as the Optimum wifi. Although, one caveat, Verizon probably has a lot more LOCATIONS available than Optimum wifi does since Verizon has cellphone service which includes internet and Optimum does not support cellphones. Does anyone know how many wifi locations Optimum currently has and how that compares to Verizon's?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM

244 posts, read 540,437 times
I've got a question for all you FIOS Internet people. How often does your IP address change if at all?

I lost my "basic cable" signal today - replaced with the blue screen saying "go to the Optimum store and get a box". I know, you can get them for free for a certain period of time, but seriously, this sucks.

Does anyone know what Verizon does with QAM channels? I notice you can hook up a TV without a box and that it needs a "QAM tuner" which most, if not all, HDTVs have along with ATSC (over-the-air HD). But is it scrambled like Cablevision? Or can I get all the HD (or SD) channels they provide using a basic QAM tuner?

I know, call them. But I hate sitting on the phone for an hour while I wait for someone to get on that can actually answer my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's available but it's not free and it's not as fast as the Optimum wifi. Although, one caveat, Verizon probably has a lot more LOCATIONS available than Optimum wifi does since Verizon has cellphone service which includes internet and Optimum does not support cellphones. Does anyone know how many wifi locations Optimum currently has and how that compares to Verizon's?
Optimum has wifi hotspots just about all over every commercial corridor I could find from Lindenhurst through Nassau. At least, on the South Shore. That includes all around the LIRR, major industrial areas, you name it. They don't really go into residential areas.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I've got a question for all you FIOS Internet people. How often does your IP address change if at all?

I lost my "basic cable" signal today - replaced with the blue screen saying "go to the Optimum store and get a box". I know, you can get them for free for a certain period of time, but seriously, this sucks.

Does anyone know what Verizon does with QAM channels? I notice you can hook up a TV without a box and that it needs a "QAM tuner" which most, if not all, HDTVs have along with ATSC (over-the-air HD). But is it scrambled like Cablevision? Or can I get all the HD (or SD) channels they provide using a basic QAM tuner?

I know, call them. But I hate sitting on the phone for an hour while I wait for someone to get on that can actually answer my questions.

Optimum has wifi hotspots just about all over every commercial corridor I could find from Lindenhurst through Nassau. At least, on the South Shore. That includes all around the LIRR, major industrial areas, you name it. They don't really go into residential areas.
All TVs on FIOS need a box or tuning adapter or whatever they call it.
In other words, rental fee money....

Personally I have CV as much as I despise them. Not impressed with FIOS in my area as 4 neighbors had it and switched back to CV because Verizon couldnt get the signals consistently working.

We'll ignore the fact that my wife's uncle is drawing a VZ pension and switch from FIOS back to CV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island