Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 AM

244 posts, read 540,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
All TVs on FIOS need a box or tuning adapter or whatever they call it.
That's actually not true. They retransmit QAM signals over your house's internal cable for all the local over-the-air must-carry channels like CBS/ABS/NBC/etc. I was wondering if they do that for anything else, or just that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
That's actually not true. They retransmit QAM signals over your house's internal cable for all the local over-the-air must-carry channels like CBS/ABS/NBC/etc. I was wondering if they do that for anything else, or just that stuff.
A friend of mine lost signals on his non box TVs one day. Verizon told him that he had to get a tuning adapter for those TVs. (Older analog TV)
QAM may be in the clear, but that chews up bandwidth so dont hold your breath for that be around much longer

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM

244 posts, read 540,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
A friend of mine lost signals on his non box TVs one day. Verizon told him that he had to get a tuning adapter for those TVs. (Older analog TV)
QAM may be in the clear, but that chews up bandwidth so dont hold your breath for that be around much longer
From what I understand all providers have to carry the "must carry" channels that are currently broadcast in your area via ATSC (over-the-air HD). It is also my understanding that Verizon does it magic to convert from whatever they transmit over the fiber with (IP?), to QAM at the fiber adapter on the side of the house.

Again, all I was wondering is if anyone had done that and gotten anything BUT the must-carry channels.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
From what I understand all providers have to carry the "must carry" channels that are currently broadcast in your area via ATSC (over-the-air HD). It is also my understanding that Verizon does it magic to convert from whatever they transmit over the fiber with (IP?), to QAM at the fiber adapter on the side of the house.

Again, all I was wondering is if anyone had done that and gotten anything BUT the must-carry channels.
The "must carry" channels are fighting with Cablevision over that. Right now FOX is threatening Cablevision customers because they claim "Cablevision gets our channels for free and charges their customers $17 and change for a package that includes FOX channels." See KeepFoxOn :: FOX (http://keepfoxon.com/fox - broken link) for more info. The upshot is that FOX wants some of that money we pay to Cablevision for the supposed free-to-consumer (paid for by advertisers, not viewers) programming FOX broadcasts. AFAIK, Cablevision is charging its customers for their infrastructure and delivery, NOT specifically for any of the free TV channels.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

308 posts, read 446,158 times
I switched to Fios in March and couldn't be happier with it. I took such pleasure in returning all the junk to CV.

Naturally I got the mail and over the phone offers from CV. Triple play for $99, for 2 years. They finally stopped calling after this conversation:

Operator: Triple play for $99, for 2 years, and we will pay $200 towards termination fees.
Me: No, thank you.
(This is where she should have stopped.)
Operator: Can I ask why?
Me: Because I don't want to put any more money in the Dolans' pockets.
(This is where she really should have stopped.)
Operator: Even if they are putting some in yours?
Me: How about they put that money into the Knicks and Rangers, and maybe they'll have a winning team.
Operator: <click>.

I think that was the last offer I received.

BTW, anyone concerened about the Optimum WiFi. If you use it, but want to switch to Fios, there is a way to still use it. If you have a friend or relative that still has CV, have them create a sub account, and give you the username and password. Then use that to log into Optimum Wifi.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:42 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromny View Post
me: How about they put that money into the knicks and rangers, and maybe they'll have a winning team.
Operator: <click>.
hahahahaa

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM

172 posts, read 221,145 times
i just switched from cablevision to verizon. i get it installed next friday so i guess i'll see how everything works out.

this was mostly a budget switch. i'll save probably $30-40 a month. with the 2 year price lock and no contract or termination fees i couldn't go wrong with the decision.

i don't really watch alot of TV, just sports and the kiddies watch there cartoons so i'm sure i won't mind any small flaws verizon may have.

cablevision was fine but they wouldn't budge on the price after the first year and i was always having problems when we had a day of bad rain or snow. the splitter would end up collecting water. they said they would discount my bill after a good month of crappy reception and they never did.

i always wanted to try Fios but i had to wait until it was in my area and i also didn't want to have a contract. i'm glad they got rid of it, it made my decision easier.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
i just switched from cablevision to verizon. i get it installed next friday so i guess i'll see how everything works out.

this was mostly a budget switch. i'll save probably $30-40 a month. with the 2 year price lock and no contract or termination fees i couldn't go wrong with the decision.

i don't really watch alot of TV, just sports and the kiddies watch there cartoons so i'm sure i won't mind any small flaws verizon may have.

cablevision was fine but they wouldn't budge on the price after the first year and i was always having problems when we had a day of bad rain or snow. the splitter would end up collecting water. they said they would discount my bill after a good month of crappy reception and they never did.

i always wanted to try Fios but i had to wait until it was in my area and i also didn't want to have a contract. i'm glad they got rid of it, it made my decision easier.
I bet you'll enjoy it just fine. FIOS cable box is much faster than the CV one, internet is stable, picture is clear.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 AM

308 posts, read 446,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
FIOS cable box is much faster than the CV one,
I hated that about the CV box. Press the button to change channels, and go get a soda while you wait. If you want to access the guide or menus, go make a sandwich while you wait for that.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
I cannot wait until Fios is finally up and running in my neighborhood and I can call cable and tell them to shove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island