Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I am moving and just set up FiOS (all 3 services) with a multi-room DVR for FAR, FAR less than I am paying for Cablevision (triple play). And they are guaranteeing me that price for 2 years. I am pleased as punch with my decision so far.
far far less than the cablevision's triple play price?

what price did you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
I honestly believe that getting individuals services is best. Dish Network for television services is probably the cheapest right now.Magic Jack for telephone service,and then adding a high speed internet to complete the package.I'm not sure who Dish offers but it is a high speed option.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
The Fios features are awesome though. They are really pushing the envelope with technology and services. My only complaint about Fios is the customer service when you absolutely have to get in touch with a living, breathing, human being. It's a bit tedious, but they are great once you get through. The upside is that you can take of nearly anything on the Verizon website, including troubleshooting and self diagnosis and repair for your tv, phone and internet. It's pretty cool.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Fios features are awesome though. They are really pushing the envelope with technology and services. My only complaint about Fios is the customer service when you absolutely have to get in touch with a living, breathing, human being. It's a bit tedious, but they are great once you get through. The upside is that you can take of nearly anything on the Verizon website, including troubleshooting and self diagnosis and repair for your tv, phone and internet. It's pretty cool.

you can do that on the cablevision website too.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:59 PM

125 posts, read 394,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I am moving and just set up FiOS (all 3 services) with a multi-room DVR for FAR, FAR less than I am paying for Cablevision (triple play). And they are guaranteeing me that price for 2 years. I am pleased as punch with my decision so far.
Which means youre in a 2 year contract,what if it sucks?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM

88 posts, read 480,808 times
I had Verison DSL internet hookup about 4 years ago and it was crap, has it gotten any better? It used to be as slow as the old dial up modems

Old 01-14-2010, 02:27 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
You got nothin to lose by trying Fios if you're really unhappy with cable. When you leave cable and switch to Fios, within a few weeks the cable guy will be banging on your door asking you to come back. Cable pays the termination fee to get you back.

I'm cancelling everything next month anyway. No more tv, phone, or internet providers. Nothin but DVD's and cell phones in my house startin Feb 1st.
I'll do my internet crap at my parents house when ever I visit, or at the library.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,193 times
DSL is not FIOS. FIOS is a totally different thing. I had DSL for the past few years up until 2 months ago and I didn't think it was as slow as dial up. If it was, I would have never been able to deal with that... Yes, it was slower than Cablevision but comparing DSL to Cablevision and FIOS is apples to oranges... FIOS is faster than Cablevision and much faster than DSL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
I had Verison DSL internet hookup about 4 years ago and it was crap, has it gotten any better? It used to be as slow as the old dial up modems

Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm cancelling everything next month anyway. No more tv, phone, or internet providers. Nothin but DVD's and cell phones in my house startin Feb 1st.
I'll do my internet crap at my parents house when ever I visit, or at the library.
I read that Verizon is going to DOUBLE their termination fee. It might be cheaper for you to keep the service...lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
Which means youre in a 2 year contract,what if it sucks?
Also if you are moving like we plan to in the next few months, it looks like we have to pay the early termination fee, unless we're moving into a fios-ready home where we'd just continue the bill. We're moving to a temp location that already has FIOS under a different account (we're not continuing the subscription), so it looks like we'd be paying the early termination, because we're moving out. That doesn't seem just, at all. Anyone confirm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island