Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Degelmann said the Calverton resort, unlike its cousin in Dubai, will blend right in. “It won’t look like a building,” he said. “It will more closely resemble a real mountain. It will look more like it was part of the landscape.”
It will blend in with all the other mountains in Riverhead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Ridiculous you say?
While presently I'm not for or against it, its far from ridiculous. Places like this are opening all over this country as well in other countries with GREAT success!!
As far as LI goes...the economy here isn't getting better while prices still skyrocket. With so many of the industries shut down on LI someone better come up with something soon or we'll soon see factories poping up in the desserts of Mexico run by americans...oh yeh...thats already happening. YOU better re-examine your priorites.
Out of these ten places that opend only one failed if I understand this correctly...
World Indoor Snow Resort (broken link)
World Indoor Snow Resort (broken link)Ski Dubai
N.J. Indoor Skiing Project Refinanced :: First Tracks!! Online Ski Magazine :: The ski and snowboard world at your keyboard (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=856 - broken link)
You have a point, as does GCGuy. There are no jobs on LI and no economy. Maybe this will help. Heck, I don't know what to think, really. My first thought was, "Does anything NEED to be built? Isn't there enough traffic?"
I had a summer job in Riverhead 10 years ago, and I watched the traffic get progressively worse. I watched Hampton Bays go from a busy summer town to a complete mess where you can go 2 miles in under 20 minutes.
But then how do you expect to have any economy if there is no business?
In a perfect world, people would live in NYC, make all their money, and then move out to the middle of nowhere and enjoy the peace and quiet of Orient Point.
I could never be a politician because I can't make up my mind!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
You have a point, as does GCGuy. There are no jobs on LI and no economy. Maybe this will help. Heck, I don't know what to think, really. My first thought was, "Does anything NEED to be built? Isn't there enough traffic?"
I had a summer job in Riverhead 10 years ago, and I watched the traffic get progressively worse. I watched Hampton Bays go from a busy summer town to a complete mess where you can go 2 miles in under 20 minutes.
But then how do you expect to have any economy if there is no business?
In a perfect world, people would live in NYC, make all their money, and then move out to the middle of nowhere and enjoy the peace and quiet of Orient Point.
I could never be a politician because I can't make up my mind!
I've lived on LI for over 40 years and I'm looking to leave because things aren't getting better here..in fact they're getting worse. While other places have their issues too...LI just seems stagnant to me. Seems like almost all the local municipaities don't really give a sh...
Ina beautiful town like Huntington I walk through Hecksher Park and see plantings dying or never finished..next to nothing there upgraded to speak of and the taxes are outta orbit. I was THRILLED when I sw them redo parts of the sidewalks in town a cpl of years ago but c'mon people that should be the start of it but once that was done it goes to stalemate mode again.
Then the town approves plans to build the most disgusting movie theater on the face of the earth right in the heart of town. A total eye sore in my community but I have to jump through hoops because they didn't like the way the direction of my new garage would face which was insane being everyone elses faces the same way. More rehetoric.
The economy here is pathetic for an area an hour from the greatest city on the planet NYC. Sometimes I think we just stick needles in our own eyes cause it feels good when we stop instead of just looking out of them and seeing things clearly. Its not the day of farms on LI anymore and sad but true we'll never get back to that again. We need to make the most of possibilities at hand to improve life here.
How bad would a well done indoor ski resort be? Its a healthy sport..and it could be an attractive place if done with taste. It certainly would bring jobs in, and the traffic which may be a negative, usually has people in those cars with money to spend. No traffic...no money unless someone has a better idea...I'm all ears.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
I've lived on LI for over 40 years and I'm looking to leave because things aren't getting better here..in fact they're getting worse. While other places have their issues too...LI just seems stagnant to me. Seems like almost all the local municipaities don't really give a sh...
Ina beautiful town like Huntington I walk through Hecksher Park and see plantings dying or never finished..next to nothing there upgraded to speak of and the taxes are outta orbit. I was THRILLED when I sw them redo parts of the sidewalks in town a cpl of years ago but c'mon people that should be the start of it but once that was done it goes to stalemate mode again.
Then the town approves plans to build the most disgusting movie theater on the face of the earth right in the heart of town. A total eye sore in my community but I have to jump through hoops because they didn't like the way the direction of my new garage would face which was insane being everyone elses faces the same way. More rehetoric.
The economy here is pathetic for an area an hour from the greatest city on the planet NYC. Sometimes I think we just stick needles in our own eyes cause it feels good when we stop instead of just looking out of them and seeing things clearly. Its not the day of farms on LI anymore and sad but true we'll never get back to that again. We need to make the most of possibilities at hand to improve life here.
How bad would a well done indoor ski resort be? Its a healthy sport..and it could be an attractive place if done with taste. It certainly would bring jobs in, and the traffic which may be a negative, usually has people in those cars with money to spend. No traffic...no money unless someone has a better idea...I'm all ears.
I totally agree with you. The problem with LI seems to be everyone is scared of change. I mean, look in the immediate area...Jersey, Westchester, Stamford...all are building offices, new "downtowns", condos, etc. They are at least attempting to do something different, to try something to keep people and businesses here to pay those high taxes. LI is stuck in 1950...it's not WWII Levittown anymore. Don't get me wrong, I own a single family home myself, but in places it makes sense, things need to get built. I love the Lighthouse/Hub project around Nassau Coliseum...it's literally 2 minutes from my house...I'll be affected by traffic, etc...but it's good for the area and for LI. LI will die a slow and painful death if people continue to want ONLY the status quo. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Don't forget to vote on Tuesday. There are two incumbents up for re-election to the Town Board. Huntington is long due for a change.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Don't forget to vote on Tuesday. There are two incumbents up for re-election to the Town Board. Huntington is long due for a change.
NO MORE NEW CHANGES OR DEMOCRATS PLEASE!!!!

Yeah Huntington is really getting the crap piled on like Great Neck in the 80's. Its all a Dog and Pony show by the Democrats to force the people to do as they say. "no money for planter boxes unless you let our new corperate friends build a movie theater"
They pulled the same crap in Manhasset to sell the movie theater to Clear Channel.

Take a stroll through Queens or Great Neck, it’s sardeen can packed smelting pot of corporate restaurants and living space with the $$$ going to builders & off Island Corperation's, private compounds, Manhattan townhouses, the Dolans.

Remember ...If change was so good most Long Islanders (at least over 70% in Soffolk)(who came from the city when it was nice) would not be so hard line against it.
Long Island is in a jam because that dope smoking hippie rapist Bill Clinton scuttled all the Military contracts in the 90's

All these "imported's" and Yuppies with the wives in the nail salons need to understand this is not the city. Who the hell are they to come hear and tell us how we need to live, go Starbucks for $6 coffie and $20 internet passes etc ?
Locals never see a nickel from these Malls, Nassau HUB etc.
All the money "disappears" The middle class get NOTHING but the headache.

Most the money ends up
1- "Off Island"
2- In Albany’s coffers
3- To benefit social B.S and special interests

Last edited by Joe L; 11-02-2007 at 12:58 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 12:53 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
NO MORE NEW CHANGES OR DEMOCRATS PLEASE!!!!

Yeah Huntington is really getting the crap piled on like Great Neck in the 80's. Its all a Dog and Pony show by the Democrats to force the people to do as they say. "no money for planter boxes unless you let our new corperate friends build a movie theater"
They did the same this in Manhasset to sell the movie theater to Clear Channel.

Take a stroll through Queens or Great Neck, it’s a smelting pot of corporate restaurants and living space with the $$$ going to builders & people to live off Island on private compounds and Manhattan townhouses

Remember ...If change was so good most Long Islanders (at least over 70% in Soffolk)(who came from the city when it was nice) would not be so hard line against it.
Long Island is in a jam because that dope smoking hippie rapist Bill Clinton scuttled all the Military contracts in the 90's

All these "imported's" and Yuppies with the wives in the nail salons need to understand this is not the city. Who the hell are they to come hear and tell us how we need to live, go to Starbucks etc ?
Locals never see a nickel from these Malls, Nassau HUB etc.
All the money "disappears" The middle class get NOTHING but the headache.

Most the money ends up
1- "Off Island"
2- In Albany’s coffers
3- To benefit social B.S and special interests
Remember, Huntington Town Board is controlled 100% by Democrats. Vote two Democrats Out and Two Republicans in on Tuesday, November 6.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Remember, Huntington Town Board is controlled 100% by Democrats. Vote two Democrats Out and Two Republicans in on Tuesday, November 6.
Im back in Manhasset this weekend at my Moms cleaning up leaves, doing the lawn.

Were all voting Republican, sick and tired of all the corruption and crap'ola.
This summer took the cake, 4 TNH fat cats made millions in bribes and payola and only got slap wristed probation & $5000 restitution.

If I did that I'd be in Rikers learning Spanish and making new friends.
Thats what these Riverhead board retards should be IMO.

This morning I find they putting another "Rotery" on Middle road behind Target, with a water sump lake mosquito breeder in the middle.
Are these screwballs from Beantown or what ?

-Joe

Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
The ski center is only one part of the resort...

Riverhead Resorts (broken link)

In addition, of the 2900 acres...940 of them will be left as open space. That's almost 100 acres larger than Central Park. The site is surrounded by 3000 acres of pine barrens, too. I think another 400 will be current (750K sq. ft.) and new (2 mill sq. ft.) of industrial space as well. Not sure what else is to go there.

I understand that the ski mountain -- in the flats of Calverton -- is only a portion of the resort (which offers no full time housing, only fractional, ie time share)

The Pine Barrens have been built upon around the edges and within -- it's not 3000 acres of open space. Immediately to the north of the resort property are private homes (I don't live there, don't own one and have no interests within there) to the immediate south is some farmland, industrial parks and spotty housing. There's housing to the east of it, too.

Open land in Calverton/Riverhead slated for a resort should not be compared to Central Park. Central Park, while being sculpted and not completely representative of the original terrain, is an urban oasis, a respite from the city and a jewel of a park which could be held up to international standards of the era. The planners ended up preserving that land. The land in Calverton is not being preserved -- it is being developed.

Central Park will not be chipped away as the City of NY deems necessary; the land for the resort may be as the owners decide they want to add more resorts to their park.

In terms of size/scale -- how big would a park on LI have to be to rival the size/scale of Central Park in relation to the size of Manhattan?

LI is losing seniors and the youth. Something needs to be built to keep things affordable for both groups, and that would create the type of jobs which a person can live on. A multi-featured resort is not going to create very many of those jobs nor will it bring about some relief to the affordable housing shortage.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LI is losing seniors and the youth. Something needs to be built to keep things affordable for both groups, and that would create the type of jobs which a person can live on. .
I would put a sound stage, NASCAR track, Ted Nugent camp for kids with a paintball corse and indoor firing range.
It would be something for everbody.

I dont know ANYBODY who ski's on the North Fork, Calverton, Farmingville etc.
People are not going to drive out with winter ski coats and things in the summer. And they go to Hunter and other places during the winter.

That logic is like those Australians who feed you hot sausages when it 97 degrees out

These people are going to loose there shirts then cry "Hardship" to make it another Co-Op city or HUD.
This thing will use more electric then Roosevelt Island or the whole N Fork.

There going to need jet turbine power or small nuke station to power the 120 million BTU's of snow making and air conditioning.
That kind of electric is not available in that area
I smell hanky panky with the Broadwater project

Last edited by Joe L; 11-04-2007 at 12:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island