Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 35,342 times

Advertisements

I heard about WWII military laboratories. Supposedly on northerly end, still there...long closed...fenced off.
Manitiwach or something like that.

Toward center of LI allegedly...a UFO crashed, area cordoned off, much excitement, many military and police, with object carried away.

Has anyone heard rumours?
Does anyone know anything about these happenings?
Did these actually occur?
There was no Alamogordo or the like anywhere in the Northeast except the first-mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:07 PM

30 posts, read 88,878 times
UFO crash - you should look up Southaven Park UFO crash in 1992 in a search engine. There are plenty of entries on that, but I don't know anyone who actually saw that event.

WWII labs - you might be referring to Camp Hero (or Camp Montauk) out at Montauk (tip of the southern fork at the East end of LI.) This fort was set up to look out for submarines or enemy aircraft coming in towards us during WWII. Some who have a paranormal inclination imply that it was somehow related to the Philadelphia Experiment. There's lots on the Internet about this too.

Another Lab: Brookhaven National Labs - a wonderful, scientific lab that is responsible for 6 (yes, 6) Nobel Prizes. They are open for free tours on each of the summer weekends (each weekend has a different scientific theme.) The lab dates back to World War I, but it was known as CAMP UPTON then. There is a small museum dedicated to the WWI camp. Irving Berlin was a soldier stationed at the time and wrote the famous song "Oh How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" about his experience.

If you're looking for paranormal stuff on Long Island, you can find that on the web too. Forget about the Amityville Horror house. The house has been remodeled to hide it from the crazies. The whole neighborhood got tired of people slowly cruising, holding seances on neighboring lawns, of peepers peeking in during meal time, etc. Halloween was really a terrible time for that area as the worst behaved wackos would come out of the woodwork on that night. If anyone asks for directions to it, most folks who live there point them away from there.

If you're a history buff, then check out Sagamore Hill - President Theodore Roosevelt's (a Nobel Peace Prize winner) home in Oyster Bay. His grave (and that of other Roosevelts) is nearby in Young's Cemetary.

There's lots to see for those who want to see it.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Other searches that you might enjoy are Mount Misery and Camp Hero (Philadelphia Experiment).

Montauk Point and Camp Hero

And of course Plum Island.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeline31 View Post
UFO crash - you should look up Southaven Park UFO crash in 1992 in a search engine. There are plenty of entries on that, but I don't know anyone who actually saw that event.

WWII labs - you might be referring to Camp Hero (or Camp Montauk) out at Montauk (tip of the southern fork at the East end of LI.) This fort was set up to look out for submarines or enemy aircraft coming in towards us during WWII. Some who have a paranormal inclination imply that it was somehow related to the Philadelphia Experiment. There's lots on the Internet about this too.

Another Lab: Brookhaven National Labs - a wonderful, scientific lab that is responsible for 6 (yes, 6) Nobel Prizes. They are open for free tours on each of the summer weekends (each weekend has a different scientific theme.) The lab dates back to World War I, but it was known as CAMP UPTON then. There is a small museum dedicated to the WWI camp. Irving Berlin was a soldier stationed at the time and wrote the famous song "Oh How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning" about his experience.

If you're looking for paranormal stuff on Long Island, you can find that on the web too. Forget about the Amityville Horror house. The house has been remodeled to hide it from the crazies. The whole neighborhood got tired of people slowly cruising, holding seances on neighboring lawns, of peepers peeking in during meal time, etc. Halloween was really a terrible time for that area as the worst behaved wackos would come out of the woodwork on that night. If anyone asks for directions to it, most folks who live there point them away from there.

If you're a history buff, then check out Sagamore Hill - President Theodore Roosevelt's (a Nobel Peace Prize winner) home in Oyster Bay. His grave (and that of other Roosevelts) is nearby in Young's Cemetary.

There's lots to see for those who want to see it.
The Montauk WWII Camp.. funny you should mentino that. My Senior year in H.S I went out to Montauck with my prom date and friends. Ended up "trespassing" on a path off the road tot he Point. VERY COOL.. I might add.. old abandoned barracka and buildings.. looked once to be military. It was just so fascinating..

unfortunately when we returned the police were waiting behind our truck with the friends that decided NOT to jump the fence. Got a trespassing ticket.. no big deal.. but it was really neat to have seen.. and a little creepy.

Isn't there a research island (or is that the Brookhaven lab) somewhere on one of those islands between the two forks that does reseearch on a lot of rare and deadly diseases..or something like this.. Robins Island.. maybe..? I remember hearing this before... but wonder if it's true

Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
You might be thinking of Plum Island.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You might be thinking of Plum Island.
Oh yeah, home of two-headed cows...or so the rumors go.

"Not once in our nearly 50 years of operation has an animal pathogen escaped from the island." (Plum Island website)

But, but how can Hollywood make a movie out of that?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:03 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
I have seen people pulled some HUGE used artillary shells caps out of the water off Navy Road in Montauk. Must be 8 pounds & 5 inches diameter made of Brass!
They been found in Orient Point also

Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,981 times
Thumbs up UFO crash, Southaven Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by federalista View Post
I heard about WWII military laboratories. Supposedly on northerly end, still there...long closed...fenced off.

Toward center of LI allegedly...a UFO crashed, area cordoned off, much excitement, many military and police, with object carried away.

There was no Alamogordo or the like anywhere in the Northeast except the first-mentioned?
Southaven Park UFO - I live in the area and the day after the crash, there WERE military planes circling the park as well as the Radar Planes (AWACS). The Fire Departments as well as Ambulance Companys, which I was an active member of, were NOT allowed in and waited outside the park. They were of course NOT allowed in at all, for any reason. Nothing more was ever heard by anyone.

Camp Hero - A book was written by a Long Islander who claimed to have traveled to another dimension and some sort of creature from this other dimension followed him back and is supposed to roam the Montauk Point woods area, more specifically, Camp Hero, which, until recently, NO-ONE was allowed into. The book was called, "The Montauk Project." I forget the authors name, but I believe if you google Montauk Project, you can read it while there or print the book to read another day.

Brookhaven Lab was originally called Camp Upton and was a military Fort. There WERE, a number of Missle Silo's along the south shore of Long Island. They have been de-commissioned (thank God) and emptied.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,981 times
Thumbs up L.I. UFO crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by federalista View Post

There are no military labs here, there's Plum Island for animal diseases off the north fork. Montauk Point had Camp Hero which was a military base. The radar equipment and buildings are still there.

That would be the UFO crash at Southaven Park in Shirley in 1992. Well known with us old timers here. I was with the Ambulance company that responded along with the Fire Dept. NO-ONE, including us was allowed in the park.

Yes, this occurred. No, no-one really knows anything about it, whatever crashed was quickly and quietly taken away. It has since been forgotten about.

No, nothing like that around here. One time there were missile silos all along the south shore. Those are gone also.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I used to go out to Montauk every summer and did a lot of exploring around Camp Hero. There's actually several books written about it, which are all pretty far fetched. Aliens and time travel and "sexual energy" experiments. I've read all of them and don't believe a word of it. In real life it started out as a US Army fort in 1929 with gun turrets built into the bluffs, later on it was exclusively a radar/surveillance operation. The whole thing shut down for good in 1983 and sat vacant for many years until the massive radar tower was put on the National Register of Historic Places and the land was turned into a State Park. Most of the base has been demolished in the last couple years except for the radar tower and the bunkers, used to be a much larger operation.

Plum Island is an Animal Disease Center in Gardiner's Bay, it's run by the Department of Homeland Security and is still active. I imagine all sorts of fun things go on there. Prior to that it was an Army base called Fort Terry for about 50 years, outdated in the Cold War era. You can only reach it by boat and the island is very highly guarded, I'm not too certain what exactly they even do there.

The missile silos were part of the US Army NIKE missile program:
Project Nike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's still some traces here and there all around LI, they literally used to be everywhere. The only locations I can think of off the top of my head are Neponsit (Rockaways), Lido Beach and East Farmingdale - but there's way more. They were all deactivated in the early 1970s. There was also another US Army base in Bellmore, right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, but it was only a maintenance facility....razed last year to build condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island