Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,115,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
It's obvious you don't get out much
You are missing the point

I am out EVERYday, constantly, everywhere on LI. Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Bklyn, etc. I also used to commute EVERYDAY to Brooklyn and Queens during rush hour. I am out so much in fact that I realize traffic will ALWAYS be, no use fighting it. I just always factor in travel time. If Mapquest or my navigation say an hour, I count an hour and a half. Of course if it is raining or flurrying even, factor in extra travel time. It is just common sense.

But once I am home all snuggly in my house, I forget about it. Sure I would LOVE less traffic, but that la la land doesn't exist. So traffic or not, I look forward to new projects on LI. We are never bored and we explore LI whenever we can. Just drove to Montauk for the first time last September and loved it.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-23-2007 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,660,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I am out EVERYday, constantly, everywhere on LI. Nassau, Suffolk, Queens, Bklyn, etc. I also used to commute EVERYDAY to Brooklyn and Queens during rush hour. I am out so much in fact that I realize traffic will ALWAYS be, no use fighting it. I just always factor in travel time. If Mapquest or my navigation say an hour, I count an hour and a half. Of course if it is raining or flurrying even, factor in extra travel time. It is just common sense.

But once I am home all snuggly in my house, I forget about it. Sure I would LOVE less traffic, but that la la land doesn't exist. So traffic or not, I look forward to new projects on LI. We are never bored and we explore LI whenever we can. Just drove to Montauk for the first time last September and loved it.
You're better off just complaining about traffic, fighting everyone that wants to build anything, and yearning for the days when LI was all 'tater fields.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,769,909 times
Quote:
From my research, much of the issues with development in Suffolk county have to do with no sewers, and attaining sewerage for whatever industry/retail they would like to build.
This is a great point. Development (especially of affordable housing) is very difficult in Suffolk due to the unavailabilty of sewers. In order to build a house, you need at least a half acre for the Board of Health to allow a new cesspool. They do allow trade off of developement rights however. But, this option still shrinks the availablity of land on which to build. Sewers are the key to higher density (lower cost) housing and to business developement.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Outstanding...

Lighthouse plans filed

By David Winzelberg

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 05:55 AM EST

ADVERTISEMENT

As workmen hoisted the RexCorp Plaza Christmas tree, Scott Rechler and Charles Wang put their $2 billion mixed-used Lighthouse project in the hands of the Town of Hempstead.

Smiling from behind a large conference table surrounded by renderings of condos, shops, and a brand new arena for the New York Islanders, Rechler said the group was filing with the town 13 months ahead of Nassau County’s 2009 deadline in the development plan agreement. And he expects the town won’t drag out the permitting and re-zoning process on a plan of this scale and uniqueness.

“This project is getting the attention it needs,” Rechler said. “We should be in and out of there in 18 months.” If all goes according to plan, construction could start in 2009.

The newest incarnation of the Lighthouse plan allows more consideration for automobile traffic, a concern raised by the group’s steering committee, according to RexCorp vice president Matt Frank. Thousands of parking spaces are now slated to sit below or partially below ground level throughout the 150-acre site, providing easy access for residents, shoppers and visitors.

The Lighthouse group has proposed 2,300 units of housing that will include about 20 percent for next generation residents. Along with housing, the plan calls for a million square feet of office space, 500,000 square feet of retail space, a transformed Coliseum that can hold up to 20,000 fans for concerts, an indoor sports complex with ice rinks, basketball courts and a health club, a 30-plus story hotel with luxury condos, 250,000 square feet of conference and convention space, and a park.

Rechler said the Lighthouse project would be a green one and the largest LEEDs certified development ever on Long Island. It is also very much a public/private partnership, as the county owns 77 acres of the Uniondale site. The finished project is expected to generate $60 million a year in property tax revenue, 16,000 construction jobs and thousands of permanent jobs.

Traffic flow within and outside of the Lighthouse site is the next hurdle that developers and engineers will have to overcome. Rechler said he is pushing for some type of trolley system to transport people within the complex and possibly to railroad stations nearby.

Although the new design for the Coliseum should survive the approvals process, the rest of the plans, designed by DDG and the Spector Group, could morph quite a bit depending on input from the town, Rechler said.

In preparation for the new project, a $40 million renovation of the Long Island Marriott is already underway, featuring new rooms, lobby, conference areas and a new façade.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 AM

Special Report: The Lighthouse project -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzlh-sg,0,3307582.storygallery - broken link)

I can't see how you can honestly say that hits project will not be great for LI. I don't want to hear about traffic...nothing would ever get done if that was the end-all-be-all.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,107 times
What, no indoor ski resort? Sounds like an interesting project for the area.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,682,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Special Report: The Lighthouse project -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzlh-sg,0,3307582.storygallery - broken link)

I can't see how you can honestly say that hits project will not be great for LI. I don't want to hear about traffic...nothing would ever get done if that was the end-all-be-all.
Nor can I

Nassau is already Queens.

Lets go Islanders!

C

Riverhead should take notice

Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,115,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post

We just went to the Coliseum the other night to see a concert.

It is in DIRE need of repair. And all I was thinking was it will be awesome when it is done. I am highly in favor of it.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,682,496 times
Quote:
We just went to the Coliseum the other night to see a concert.

It is in DIRE need of repair. And all I was thinking was it will be awesome when it is done. I am highly in favor of it.
It hasnt been updated since the last time David Lee Roth played there with VH.

C

Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 PM

491 posts, read 830,239 times
Quote:
Charles Wang put their $2 billion mixed-used Lighthouse project in the hands of the Town of Hempstead.
Both he and Suozzi have gone mad.
This project will place a "Times Square" traffic nightmare smack in the center of the county. Every dime it makes the coffers will be spent on infrastructure and expanded government to deal with it.
Home owners won’t see SQUAT!

Look at the mess Suozzi and his buddies made in Glen Cove whoring themselves out to the NYC crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island