Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Weddings are truly annoying events. I have to go to 4 this year. So its the Brides Big Day..who cares...you're ruining my Saturday off.

If you want to make it barely enjoyable for your guests..simply rent a hall, get a few kegs of beer, couple of bottles of wine, some booze and cater an old style football wedding...meatball heros, some GABAGOOL...and tell everyone to not dress.

Save your money...50% chance it will be wasted as you will be divorced within two years.
You've got me beat -- I only have 2 (1 already done) both Friday nights with one being upstate. Shoot.Me.Now. Fighting weekend traffic going to the Catskills in order to get to a wedding is going to stink big time.

All a big wedding does is make the caterer rich. We took the money we saved on a weddingpalooza and used it toward buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Just had a charity dinner at the Milleridge Cottage and the food was very good, ditto the cocktail hour. The only complaint was that the wait staff was pulling dishes out from under you, and they took the milk off the table before coffee was served.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
For those of you men (because its mostly MEN who hate weddings - either as groomsmen themselves, best men, or groomsmen, not women), the option of NOT attending is always there. If you hate it that much, just come up with some bs excuse and don't go!

I dont know why you would hate it..its a free dinner !!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
For those of you men (because its mostly MEN who hate weddings - either as groomsmen themselves, best men, or groomsmen, not women), the option of NOT attending is always there. If you hate it that much, just come up with some bs excuse and don't go!

I think its just the whole idea of having to get dressed and go. Most of us are lazy and rather sit on the couch with a beer while removing ourselves from reality.

Me...I don't really mind weddings once in a while, but they are by no means my favorite event either.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post

Add this tomboy to the list of those who dislike weddings. Dressing up is not my thing. I'd sooner be out on a quad getting dirty with the boys as opposed to wearing some ridiculously priced frock and ankle breaking heels to attend Priscilla's Pony Princess Wedding which she has been planning since she was old enough to play with Barbies.

When one adds up the gift, the haircut, nails, dress, shoes, purse, etc., the Filet of Kangaroo fricassee is certainly not free

Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
I'd love to see what happens when an invited wedding guest shows up without a gift.

Free dinner, my ass.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-01-2012, 02:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'd love to see what happens when an invited wedding guest shows up without a gift.

Free dinner, my ass.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Been there. Was stiffed not only once but on other occasions by the same person. Found out later that they did the same to other family members. At first I thought we misplaced the envelope but heck, how do I misplace the same person's gift a second time? Not to mention 2 other times they were a no-show and didn't send a gift.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One was a shower and the service was terrible. Plates grabbed out from under while you were still eating, repeatedly asking for water but getting none, mass assembled factory meals. The room was tired, wallpaper grubby and the powder room was a mish mosh of unmatched fixtures, stored chairs blocked the handicapped stall, cleanliness wasn't a priority, it was disgusting. Staff used the same bathroom. It stands to reason if the bathroom and banquet room were both shabby and not that clean looking, what does the kitchen look like?

The other was a holiday party for 100+ people. A mix of limp or rubbery calamari, antipasto of a supermarket grade, everyone's prime rib close to well done -- my rare was grey, not red. Limp tossed salad. Fruit and cheese plates were uninspired. We both had stomach problems that night.

I would suggest you have Imodium and Pepto on hand.
Good to know, thanks . My biggest peeve is taking the dish away without asking. Unless I place my knife and fork in the plate a certain way, don't touch my plate. Many places hire teenagers or young people who don't have the etiquette. We were recently at a party and my fork was resting on the outside of my plate, like everyone rests their fork and there was plenty of food on my plate. The waiter comes and takes my plate...while I'm sitting right there. I had to give him a lecture on how to properly wait on tables. You never, EVER take a plate while the person is there and NOT ask if they're done. I just hate seeing people spend so much money on an affair, guests giving hefty gifts and you leave the place either hungry, sick or annoyed lol

Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Been there. Was stiffed not only once but on other occasions by the same person. Found out later that they did the same to other family members. At first I thought we misplaced the envelope but heck, how do I misplace the same person's gift a second time? Not to mention 2 other times they were a no-show and didn't send a gift.
A second cousin did something really low to a few of us: wrote checks for gifts on a closed account costing the recipients bank fees and not offering to reimburse the fees or replace the gift.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Good to know, thanks . My biggest peeve is taking the dish away without asking. Unless I place my knife and fork in the plate a certain way, don't touch my plate. Many places hire teenagers or young people who don't have the etiquette. We were recently at a party and my fork was resting on the outside of my plate, like everyone rests their fork and there was plenty of food on my plate. The waiter comes and takes my plate...while I'm sitting right there. I had to give him a lecture on how to properly wait on tables. You never, EVER take a plate while the person is there and NOT ask if they're done. I just hate seeing people spend so much money on an affair, guests giving hefty gifts and you leave the place either hungry, sick or annoyed lol
Both times the wait staff was comprised of immigrants with limited English skills. They must have been told do this, do that by the manager and, like a trail mule, followed along without thought.

A couple of weeks ago we attended a wedding at the Watermill Inn which was great. The food was fantastic and the staff (no language issues) was attentive and tried their hardest to make sure everything was perfect. The attention to detail was evident in all aspects of the venue's portion of the wedding. The only strike was the volume of the DJ -- something many people complained about. He was set at nightclub volume making it difficult to hear a conversation and requiring a speaker to scream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island