Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
St. Anthony's moved to S. Huntington in 1984. 28 years ago.

I'm not aware that St. Pats almost closed in 1997. I am aware that the the school constructed a massive extension in the late 90s nearly doubling its physical space. That would be about the same time you're claiming the school was threatened with closure, so I can't reconcile why it would undertake such a large building project.

I agree, enrollment is up at St. Anthony's (which matriculates students from across Long Island). Looking at the data on schooldigger for 2010-2011, enrollment is also up at Kellenberg, St. Doms, Our Lady of Mercy, and St. John Baptist HS.

Enrollment is down at the very expensive private schools like Portledge and Friends. I would venture a guess (supported by some unscientific word-of-mouth) that many former private schoolers have transferred to the less expensive parochial schools during the recession. I also don't disagree that parents have pulled their children out of #3 in recent years due to the changing demographics (also supported by some unscientific word-of-mouth). Most parents haven't and there is still a level of academic excellence found at HHS. There was a similar trend in the late 80s and early 90s when there was also gang activity - not only outside in H. Station, but in the schools themselves (S.I.B.).

You're missing my point, so perhaps I explained it poorly. I'm not denying Elwood has higher test scores and a better reputation than #3 and #13. I took issue with your "no brainer" comment. IMO, if you just blindly look at test scores, yes, its a "no brainer" (in the literal sense that you're not using your brain). If you look at the whole picture, the issue becomes more complicated. The two most important issues are:

1) There's a very good chance the small homogeneous lily white middle class Elwood SD might not exist in a couple years and will likely merge with a much the much more diverse S. Huntington District. That has to be considered.

2) #3 and #13's generic test scores are pulled down by a large immigrant and working class population. If you don't want your kids going to school with these kids, that's your call and I won't judge you for it. They will also be going to school with kids from Wincoma, H. Bay, Halesite, West Hills, Cold Spring Hills, etc. They will have a larger number of academic programs, technology, and extracurriculars available to them. These districts get bad reps.

Some stats about HHS' Class of 2012:

- 96 seniors (aprox. 35.55 %) took one or more Advanced Placement exams.
- $12,849,554 in college scholarship money
- The seniors were accepted by many of the top colleges and universities in the country including Columbia, Princeton, Cornell, Harvard and Yale, as well as New York University, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Northwestern, Georgetown, Fordham, Boston University, Colgate, Rutgers, James Madison, Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Villanova, Penn State, Ohio State, Maryland, Syracuse, Indiana, Arizona State, School of Visual Arts, Maryland Institute College of Art, Berklee College of Music, Carnegie Mellon, The Citadel, Case Western Reserve and Vassar.

Nearly 36% enrollment in AP classes, nearly 13 million in scholarship money, and an impressive list of college acceptance that includes 5/8 of the ivies for a class of approximately 270. That's not bad, and certainly suggests test scores and media stories don't paint a full picture about the district.
More bad news for Huntington Schools:
State: 21 LI schools must boost poor performance

Originally published: August 30, 2012 8:54 PM
Updated: August 30, 2012 10:27 PM
By JO NAPOLITANO jo.napolitano@newsday.com

Twenty-one Long Island schools within seven districts must develop comprehensive plans to improve because of poor academic performance, state officials said Thursday.
The schools were all in the Central Islip, Hempstead, Huntington, Manhasset, Roosevelt, South Country and Wyandanch districts and have been identified as "focus" or "priority" under the state's new classification system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
More bad news for Huntington Schools:
State: 21 LI schools must boost poor performance

Originally published: August 30, 2012 8:54 PM
Updated: August 30, 2012 10:27 PM
By JO NAPOLITANO jo.napolitano@newsday.com

Twenty-one Long Island schools within seven districts must develop comprehensive plans to improve because of poor academic performance, state officials said Thursday.
The schools were all in the Central Islip, Hempstead, Huntington, Manhasset, Roosevelt, South Country and Wyandanch districts and have been identified as "focus" or "priority" under the state's new classification system.
I saw that on TV last night - was surprised to find Manhasset on the list!!

Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I saw that on TV last night - was surprised to find Manhasset on the list!!
Agreed

Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM

186 posts, read 713,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
This is a no-brainer as Elwood (1) has long been considered one of the top academic schools in Suffolk County while Huntington (3) and South Huntington (13) are about average in Suffolk County. The most recent test scores in Newsday certainly confirm this general perception if there is, indeed, any doubt: Schools database: Test scores, school districts and salaries
Elwood one of the top academic schools in Suffolk? Come on...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 15,313 times
I live in school district 13 and over the past few years have experienced 1st hand the downward slide it is on. Unfortunately the narrow minded choice to continue as one of the few neighboring districts with full day kindergarten has resulted in a greater influx of students from huntington station who are not paying their fair share of school taxes ( or any taxes at all) and have become a huge financial burden. The result is overcrowded classrooms ( my daughter has 34 kids in her 4th grade class), the end to all challenge programs for gifted students, the end to any clubs for 3-6th grade, CLOSING OF THE LIBRARY AT THE SIXTH GRADE CENTER, end to most field trips, intramural sports, you name it.
Our kids are being robbed of many childhood experiences they rightfully deserve. We pay as much in taxes as neighboring districts like northport or commack and our kids are getting nothing for it. Forget the significant number of behavior issues that are a huge distraction and negatively impacting my child's education. It's so disheartening that south huntington is such a wonderful place to live, with a great core group of citizens that are now stuck with declining home values and declining educational value for their families.

Four years ago was it a stellar district- YES, is it now NO! Could it have been saved by Dr. Shea retiring 5 years ago when he stopped caring? Unfortunately we will never know. The new superintendent is amazing and he probably could have stopped the downward spiral in its tracks had he come at the beginning of the spiral. Can he reverse it? I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island