Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times

Advertisements

Nice to hear you've escaped from the land of the five figure property tax bill. Live well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Not sure if this post is supposed to be inspirational or just sh*t shoved in our face. If it is meant to be an example of "anyone can do it", you are far from anyone. You come from the rich area of Southhampton buoyed by a pension that no one in the real world could touch. Don't worry about the price of avocados. You can afford as many as you desire. Live a little, don't obsess on every penny you spend or every penny that you save.

And IF(don't know you well enough to say it certainly is) it is a sh*t shoved into our face post, hope a den of rattlesnakes make your rental home their new rental home

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
inspirational. I was not a rich person in Southampton. The income is from Soc Security, pension, interest and dividends, rental property. Taught from 1972-2005

Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
inspirational. I was not a rich person in Southampton. The income is from Soc Security, pension, interest and dividends, rental property. Taught from 1972-2005
too bad you had to wait so long for the good life. Many folks are able to afford such "luxuries" much earlier in life.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Not sure if this post is supposed to be inspirational or just sh*t shoved in our face. If it is meant to be an example of "anyone can do it", you are far from anyone. You come from the rich area of Southhampton buoyed by a pension that no one in the real world could touch. Don't worry about the price of avocados. You can afford as many as you desire. Live a little, don't obsess on every penny you spend or every penny that you save.

And IF(don't know you well enough to say it certainly is) it is a sh*t shoved into our face post, hope a den of rattlesnakes make your rental home their new rental home
This board is full of ex-pat narcissists (not all expats, but most on this board anyway). I think it's a good thing we are shedding these type of shallow LI'ers. It will make LI a more bearable place to live. Seriously, we are not green with envy over your new found desert utopia or Carolina blue wasteland paradise. Give it up already. The reason there's less traffic in your parts is because there's nowhere of interest to drive to.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I think it was very commendable of Fastrudy to inform us of his new adventures. You get invested in reading the posts of regulars, whether you agree with them or not, and it's thoughtful when someone returns to explain his absence and describe a major life changing event.

The United States is a very beautiful country. There are places of interest worthy of a drive all over. Fastrudy mentioned some beautiful scenic places in the Las Vegas area in his post. They look different at every viewing with the change of the seasons and the time of day. They can never be boring if you are open to an appreciation of natural wonder. As a Long Islander, the huge variety of that desert landscape seemed quite exotic to me.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM

The reason there's less traffic in your parts is because there's nowhere of interest to drive to.

Pequaman do you seriously think that Las Vegas is devoid of interesting things? Really? I was born on LI & lived there for 62 years. I did not post to make you green with envy or rub s**t in your face or rekindle old arguments regarding my career choice. It was a little frightening to pack up and leave all that I ever knew, leave friends and family and go to a place I never was before, at age 62. I posted to inform my friends (and detractors) that there might be better places to live than LI. I do miss the proximity to the ocean, but the Pacific is only 5 hours away. I don't miss people like you.

Coney, thank you. It is very beautiful. The mountains are majestic and the desert has its own 'dangerous beauty'. Everything here is new and different...all new fauna and all new flora. Something to learn everyday. To the young readers of this post, don't move here unless you have a job here or are fortunate enough to start a business. My wife and I are retired, we served our time and this is a great place to retire to.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The reason there's less traffic in your parts is because there's nowhere of interest to drive to.
Fastrudy aren't you the op and moved to or near Vegas

OMG!.. ok I just got home and might have indulged in a little to much of the adult beverages but are we talking about Las Vegas here Are you saying that there is no places of interest in or around Vegas

Yeah no fun, action,entertainment,nightlife in that place compared to Nassau County.

You might like hanging at Fire Island Pines but I'll take Vegas baby every time!

Do really think Nassau County is so congested with traffic because they're so many places of interest and things to do? Really you do?

100 Things to Do in Las Vegas

Last edited by BigMike50; 08-22-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 AM

no Bigmike50, Pequaman was saying that "there is nowhere of interest to drive to". You and I know better. I agree with you, man!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Keep us posted from out there in a year or two.

I have two friends that have moved there in the boom era. One is back in Philly. And one is trying to leave now. But they were not in the financial situation you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island