Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM

75 posts, read 227,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
I would never install a fence in any other direction than out

same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
for curb appeal in the front of the house, definitely nice side on the outside. But if it's in my backyard (which is the only place I would have fences up), I am not spending all that money AND EFFORT putting it in just so my backyard neighbor has the better side. Regardless, I'm never doing wood fences again. They turn to crap in a few years. We just used PVC and we love them despite mixed opinions out there.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
for curb appeal in the front of the house, definitely nice side on the outside. But if it's in my backyard (which is the only place I would have fences up), I am not spending all that money AND EFFORT putting it in just so my backyard neighbor has the better side. Regardless, I'm never doing wood fences again. They turn to crap in a few years. We just used PVC and we love them despite mixed opinions out there.

I agree with you on all points raised.

On the thought that putting the "bad" side out creates a ladder for someone to climb over the fence - I can only offer that anyone who really wants to get into my yard will hop the fence good side OR bad.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
In Sea Cliff it's part of the zoning code. Good side goes out!
Same in Town of Smithtown.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Plastic looks cheap either way
LOL! Thank you. I agree. But I think they're all 'one *side* fits all'.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I agree with you on all points raised.

On the thought that putting the "bad" side out creates a ladder for someone to climb over the fence - I can only offer that anyone who really wants to get into my yard will hop the fence good side OR bad.

My sentiments exactly, but, I wonder what a court of law would say? When I bought I was all fenced in so I never had to deal with it but I know as a kid it was always nice side out.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM

103 posts, read 200,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
I wanted to get opinions.

Do you think it is wrong for the a neighbor to install a fence on their property with the good side facing in and not the usual out?
If this fence borders your property, then imagine that it's yours. Then you'd have the same view. Or you'd reverse it and your neighbor would be posting here.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\/\

When you say "tying " in do you mean physically connecting to you fence post? If that is the case can the person put their own corner post and stop 2" shy of you fence?

People can choose to back off from the neighbors fence, like you said, but for some reason no one does. I have a neighbor across the street that told me if he had known what kind of trouble would ensue with fence problems, he would have done just that. I guess it is a territorial thing. They want to seal their yard tight. If there is even a 2" gap, maybe they feel someone, or something can get in. Who knows how people think? I know if it were me, I would back off from the neighbors fence. Problem solved.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 32,642 times
My Sister had to install fence good side in because her 7 yr old is austic and its an elopement issue. He would climb and go over old fence and the fence is high I think 6ft. She lives in the middle of the block. She went to both neighbors and spoke to them. Fortunately she has kind neighbors who understand and were more concerned with the safety of her son then who got the 'good' side.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3140 View Post
My Sister had to install fence good side in because her 7 yr old is austic and its an elopement issue. He would climb and go over old fence and the fence is high I think 6ft. She lives in the middle of the block. She went to both neighbors and spoke to them. Fortunately she has kind neighbors who understand and were more concerned with the safety of her son then who got the 'good' side.
Funny you mention climbing the bad side. When I lived with my grandma in East Meadow, her neighbor actually put up a fence with the good side facing "in". Needless to say I loved climbing the fence in my grandma's back yard but it would freak out her neighbor so much that he would yell at me all the time! He even kept a basketball of mine because I didnt listen to him and I never understood why.

Fast forward 20 years and Im working in insurance so it finally made sense to me. By giving your neighbors the "bad side", you actually take on an assumption of risk that if anyone is hurt climbing the fence, even though its not on your property, your homeowners policy is the ONLY policy liable for any injuries and you are the only negligent party. Just a little something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island