Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
There will never be another Raegan though, sadly.
Your paycheck is a lot smaller because of Reagan.
This is even worse for those who are self-employed. Reagan raised payroll taxes on the self employed by 50%. 20% on regular workers.

===
I'm not happy with either candidate at this point either.
I'm leaning towards:
Let's Get Gary on TV

or a write in of Ron Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

I'll let Obama answer that.

In all seriousness though, I don't think many liberal people have a leg to stand on when it comes to unaffordable housing and Obama. His 2.8% tax on home sales is going to hit places LI hardest.
That's going to stink big time. We are trying to sell my MIL's home right now and are hoping to have it sold before 1/1/13

Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Sell it to an overseas buyer from Argentina/France. They are moving wealth out of their countries now. You might get 3x the listed price.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's going to stink big time. We are trying to sell my MIL's home right now and are hoping to have it sold before 1/1/13
FactCheck.org : A 3.8 Percent “Sales Tax” on Your Home?

Quote:
We’ve been flooded with queries about this one ever since the health care bill became law. At the last minute, Democratic lawmakers decided on a new 3.8 percent tax on the net investment income of high-income persons. But the claim that this would amount to a $15,200 tax on the sale of a typical $400,000 home is utterly false.

The truth is that only a tiny percentage of home sellers will pay the tax. First of all, only those with incomes over $200,000 a year ($250,000 for married couples filing jointly) will be subject to it. And even for those who have such high incomes, the tax still won’t apply to the first $250,000 on profits from the sale of a personal residence — or to the first $500,000 in the case of a married couple selling their home.
Your MIL falls under the above guidelines? The person who brought it up to scare other LI'ers didn't even know the actual percentage.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Sell it to an overseas buyer from Argentina/France. They are moving wealth out of their countries now. You might get 3x the listed price.
How do you find these out of towners who are gullible enough to pay 3x listing price as well as being wealthy? I really want to know so I can sell my house for 3x the price, buy 2 other houses and still have money left over.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Sotheby's! They're the ones who market to gullible foreigners!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Sotheby's! They're the ones who market to gullible foreigners!
TY! +5! No Century 21 for me!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
He is putting a cap on deductions a person can take....child tax credit, etc, etc. Obama is not as vocal about it, but his plan is to eliminate the mortgage interest deduction, so he is also messing with our deductions, just like Romney. So they talk about cutting taxes, but they are cutting deductions too. Either way, the money comes out of my bank account.
I looked this up also.

Here are Romney's ideas:

Mitt Romney suggests cutting mortgage interest deduction on eve of presidential debate
Search Result item

Quote:
Quote:
He suggested the changes could be part of a plan that includes a 20 percent cut in tax rates across the board, continuation of upper income tax cuts that Obama wants to end and a comprehensive tax overhaul plan that the Republican presidential contender has so far declined to flesh out in detail.

Romney said, "As an option you could say everybody's going to get up to a $17,000 deduction. And you could use your charitable deduction, your home mortgage deduction, or others your health care deduction, and you can fill that bucket, if you will, that $17,000 bucket that way. And higher income people might have a lower number."

A Romney adviser said changes in other areas a taxpayer's personal exemption and the deduction or credit for health care would also be taken into account if deductions were limited as Romney suggested. Combining changes to those two areas with the limit on deductions would maintain Romney's goal of keeping tax burdens the same for wealthy and middle income taxpayers, the adviser said.
Here is Obama's:

Slash mortgage deductions for the rich? Fat chance
Obama wants to cut mortgage interest deductions for the rich - Feb. 15, 2011

Quote:
Under his proposal, taxpayers in the 33% and 35% tax brackets would only be able to deduct their contributions and mortgage interest payments at the 28% rate. It would affect those with taxable income of $250,000 and up and bring in $321 billion over 10 years, according to the White House.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:04 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
I prefer Romney's plan, it goes further towards making this country a flat tax then anything aside from Herman Cain's plan (major parties). I shouldn't have to hunt for a deduction, someone owning a house shouldn't pay less then someone who is renting.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Not to worry, this will only apply IF you exceed the cap gains threshold of $250K single or 500k married, which means unless the MIL income is very high...you need not worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island