Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM

169 posts, read 632,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
According to anywho.com, they have about 10 locations on the south shore from Valley Stream to Hampton Bays.
Who does? Whole Foods? No way... they only have two stores at present. One on the 'Miracle Mile' in Manhasset (north shore) and the other on Route 106 in Jericho just north of the LIE (just north of center island).

I tried anywho and it only shows the two north shore locations of Wild by Nature (Huntington and East Setauket).

King Kullen is just an ordinary supermarket (a step below Stop & Shop in most instances, IMO). Actually I didn't know that WBN was owned by them, though I must say I'm not surprised; IMO their stores have a similar 'ambiance'. On the other hand Whole Foods is its own corporate entity and their stock is traded on NASDAQ (ticker symbol WFMI).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Oh, TJs is tremendous, too. Where on the SS do you live?

I live in Babylon Village. There was a rumour that we'd get a Trader Joe's, but we never did.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:50 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,180 times
When we lived in Islip Hamlet we would take a weekly trip to the Trader Joes in Commack, worth the trip IMO

Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Who does? Whole Foods? No way... they only have two stores at present. One on the 'Miracle Mile' in Manhasset (north shore) and the other on Route 106 in Jericho just north of the LIE (just north of center island).

I tried anywho and it only shows the two north shore locations of Wild by Nature (Huntington and East Setauket).

King Kullen is just an ordinary supermarket (a step below Stop & Shop in most instances, IMO). Actually I didn't know that WBN was owned by them, though I must say I'm not surprised; IMO their stores have a similar 'ambiance'. On the other hand Whole Foods is its own corporate entity and their stock is traded on NASDAQ (ticker symbol WFMI).
I have a fairly new (2-3 years old) King Kullen and in the next shopping center over a cavernous Stop and Shop which was remodeled (yet again -- 4th time in 11 years) near me. In this case, the KK is much nicer than S&S. I prefer the smaller size and the availability of items I am looking for. I found that once Royal Ahold had purchased the S&S chain, I was no longer able to get bulk-sized, or family-sized items I once purchased there.

The KK is smaller and user friendly; I can do a complete shop in far less time than I did in S&S and walk away paying less.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Definitely supermarkets are not "one size fits all"! It's interesting that the things you don't like about S&S are the very reasons I prefer them over KK: I like a larger store, the bigger the better, and have found that every KK I have gone into just seems "dinky" and they never have all the specific brand items that I always buy at S&S. I'm just not a fan of small supermarkets (which is one reason I prefer Whole Foods over Wild by Nature).

There are still a few of the old S&S stores (the one near the Smith Haven Mall really should be closed down, it's really dumpy) and even among the new S&Ss I think some are nicer than others.

I don't mind the few cents more it may cost for something at S&S. It would cost me more in gas to pay less at KK or Waldbaums and then have to drive to a S&S in order to complete my shopping list!

But of course it's all a matter of personal preference. For instance, I'm a single person so I never buy in bulk (I'll never have or want a Costco card!).

Old 10-18-2007, 12:04 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
I used to love TJ's, until I read somewhere that their frozen produce comes from China. Then I heard that some of their fresh garlic comes from China as well, and this was confirmed for me when I wrote them an email. Apparently, in the off-season, they get the garlic from China - it's packaged in California, but not grown there unless it says so.

I still shop there occasionally as it is a good deal, but I don't buy any frozen veggies anymore...

Anyone interested in shopping locally and getting organic/healthy fruits and veggies should join a CSA and support the local farms on the East End...I pay about $500 in February and every week from the end of May til the end of November, we get fresh picked fruits and vegetables from a farm on the North Fork. We split it with my aunt as it's a lot of food...it's great because it forces us to eat more veggies, and we are supporting local farmers who might otherwise sell their property to developers.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Oh, TJs is tremendous, too. Where on the SS do you live?

I live in Babylon Village. There was a rumour that we'd get a Trader Joe's, but we never did.
I'm in Lindenhurst, I go to the Trader Joe's in Merrick. Takes under a half hour and is worth the trip!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
"For instance, I'm a single person so I never buy in bulk (I'll never have or want a Costco card!)."

Sometimes, if they have something you really like, you might.

When I lived in California, there used to be this soda called "Clearly Canadian." I'm not sure that they ever had it here. They were these clear sodas, with various fruit flavors, that were just the best. I got a chance to go to some Costco type place out there, and I bought three cases.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Dedalus, I know that Clearly Canadian brand, and it WAS good! I did see it once here on LI, at the St. James Delicatessen on Rte 25A, but that was a good five or six years ago and I'm not in that area very often so I don't know if they still carry it. You could try calling to ask them, though, just in case.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I'm in Lindenhurst, I go to the Trader Joe's in Merrick. Takes under a half hour and is worth the trip!

Where is it , exactly. If it's on Montauk Highway (I think they call it Merrick Road there) , it would be easy to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island