Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM

44 posts, read 100,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
So it's only those from 'other countries' (Asia-Pac) that contribute to NY? No judgement there. And what's wrong with Mid-Westerners? I know they're corn-ball and talk funny, buy why single them out.

Why don't you mention this is based on your experience, because to a casual reader, your statements are ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with anyone, just don't claim you are from New York just to make yourself feel better when you were not here for the good and bad the real locals endured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Huh?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymaster View Post
Nothing wrong with anyone, just don't claim you are from New York just to make yourself feel better when you were not here for the good and bad the real locals endured.
Real curious what "the good and bad the real locals endured" means... Please elaborate!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Real curious what "the good and bad the real locals endured" means... Please elaborate!

high crime, crack epidemic, subway graffiti, economic stagnation(although we are back to that again). Basically Pre-Giuliani and Pre-Pataki New York. If you weren't here during those times, then you're not a real New Yorker.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM

43 posts, read 60,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeymaster View Post
high crime, crack epidemic, subway graffiti, economic stagnation(although we are back to that again). Basically Pre-Giuliani and Pre-Pataki New York. If you weren't here during those times, then you're not a real New Yorker.
As someone who was in his 20s during this time, this was actually a great NY to grow up in. The crack, crime, numbers and hype were largely in the lousiest areas in NYC.

Giuliani made NYC safer but he made it boring as all hell too. It was nice to have 300 strong around a keg in any NYC park on any given Saturday. Nowadays social interaction is..well...right here is a fine example.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyface tomatonose View Post
As someone who was in his 20s during this time, this was actually a great NY to grow up in. The crack, crime, numbers and hype were largely in the lousiest areas in NYC.

Giuliani made NYC safer but he made it boring as all hell too. It was nice to have 300 strong around a keg in any NYC park on any given Saturday. Nowadays social interaction is..well...right here is a fine example.

It was fun cause music was actually good back in the 1980s. Now it's all pinko effeminate or with posers that think they are all that.
City is boring thanks to Bloombag. Late 1990s, you could feel the economic vibrance since there were lots of REAL jobs. Now, you just hear the sound of another starbucks selling a $1.25 coffe that tastes like **** at $4.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Actually most music past 83 was either sissy synth bands or pathetic hair bands. Long live the 70's!

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Actually most music past 83 was either sissy synth bands or pathetic hair bands. Long live the 70's!
Don't you miss "Men Without Hats" ? I don't.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
How do you think your formerly living on Long Island affected your ability to live the way you do in your new location now? For instance, if you DIDN'T make a profit on your property (even though it was trashed) sold on LI, would you have been able to have the lifestyle you do now (waited a long time to get a job in the new location and travelled instead, house in new location with no mortgage, able to take a low-stress job not needing to make a certain amount of money, able to have one spouse totally unemployed)? What do you think your life would be like there now if you hadn't lived on and owned property on Long Island first?
Ex-pat down south nearly twenty years now. First we paid mortgages back then as you do now, so I had no windfall net profit. Secondly it was helpful to have a job that was transferable. The problem arose when what was a middleish income in NY was a extremely high income in the south. That income level lasted about a year while in their own inventive style we're trying to move me out. Took a few courses online at U of MD and jumped to a southern company and kept my level of salary. Since then both my wife and I take online classes in order for us to be at what we consider a wage we are happy with. Thanks to a second mortgage to do additions to the home (sitting on 10 acres with no viewable neighbors most of the year) I'm still paying a mortgage) and I still have a decent wage. Having a home and a job are not the only reasons I left. There is all the other things and their culminations that made me move. Taxes, fees, noise, traffic, etc have all exponentially grown in in NY. Yet down south the only item that grew by a $1000 in twenty years is my property tax which is still about 20% of the NY rate if were a similar house sitting on a postage stamp. Past that the fees are a joke even twenty years later. No noise, No traffic. People here keep on bringing up familes. In truth most of us really don't want to be around them and complain that living in the same state is too close. Those of who come from immigrants know our families left theirs at least an ocean away. So if they could leave theirs for a better life then we should be able to do the same thing (at least in the same country). If I need to go to a family thing, I can be there within a few hours by plane for mine or a few hours drive for hers. Life here is so much easier without the 4300 reasons to not only leave LI but the whole Metro area. So except for food and utilites everything is much easier to deal with.

But that was before 2008. Now its a little more difficult to jump w/o a transfer or being a retiree on a pension. There are ways to do it, but it requires frugal living to get to a position where you can actually do it. There are many more economic decisions that need to be made in order to move out. If I look at the next generation (kids, godkids, nephews, neices, etc) they've all moved on. To give examples: one has moved to Albany, one has moved to CT, one has moved to Japan, one has moved to Abu Dhabi.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyface tomatonose View Post
...It was nice to have 300 strong around a keg in any NYC park on any given Saturday. Nowadays social interaction is..well...right here is a fine example.
300 is a high number, but we did had alot more social interaction without much police intervention. Open up a few beer balls and party on. We had much more freedom back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island