Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

I also needed a new base board and I also added a towel rack. I did get a quote from a local guy (forgot the name) and he wanted $9,000 but that would mean I had to shop around for everything and I didn't want anything from home depot or lowes. It was easier with allure one stop shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM

246 posts, read 430,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Honestly, it all depends on what you want. Sears is actually finishing up renovating our main bathroom today (small bathroom). My parents are paying over $20k for this...this was for vent installation, new tub, new sink, faucets, lighting, and wall and floor tiling. Bathroom renovations are not cheap!
That seems extraordinarily high. Of course, I don't know the specifics of your renovation.

However, Sears seems to charge much higher than others. When I was getting quotes for a roof, their price was insanely higher than other quotes that I got.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
see here is the disconnect. I spent around $3800 on the materials to do my 5x8 bathroom. that didn't include the building materials(sheetrock, lumber, wire, pex). Just tub, toilet, vanity, over the toilet cabinet, towel bars, lighting tub faucet, rough in, diverter sink faucet, and tile.

I have a nice bathroom, and I'm sure some would say very nice, but it is far from high end.

I would guess to do my bathroom "right" it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K. I dn't know how much it costs since it was part of a larger renovation. I could have cut some things and went a bit cheaper on some things and ended up with an 8K bathroom and it still being nice.

Also, I'm assuming you may have some experience in this stuff, but no average homeowner should be hiring individual contractors by the day. there is basically no oversight there, no one checking the work, no one coordinating the effort ordering thigns, ensuring materials are on sight etc. If you're paying a construction crew that works that way and does it all, well, you got a bargin if they can finish in that short a time and do a high quailty job, especially since I'm assuming you didn't hire an electrician or a plumber.

Just going to throw this out there, I've looked at a lot of houses when looking to buy mine. I would say at least half the homeowners don't know what quality work is, and have settled for crap. I'm sure some of it is DIY, but a lot of it are contractors who do a quick cheap and dirty job. The work is shoddy, the framing not square and insufficiant, the sheetrock work amaturish, the tile work uneven and cracking, the design, the moldings hackish.
I can't agree more. I can't tell you how many baths and kitchens I inspect that look great at a quick glance but are poorly constructed and designed. No one seems to care. Cheap materials in baths do not last long. Many of Home Depot brand name products are made inferior to the same product purchased at a plumbing supply house. The quality of tile work has declined to a point where anyone can tile. Really a shame....

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I can't agree more. I can't tell you how many baths and kitchens I inspect that look great at a quick glance but are poorly constructed and designed. No one seems to care. Cheap materials in baths do not last long. Many of Home Depot brand name products are made inferior to the same product purchased at a plumbing supply house. The quality of tile work has declined to a point where anyone can tile. Really a shame....
But they got bargain!

Anyone can tile. Only few can tile correctly. The problem being many homeowners don't know what should or shouldn't be done.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
My original bathroom when we bought the house in 2003 was brand new and after 1 year things started falling apart, tub was loose, counter top on sink came away from the wall and then 6 months after that tiles starting coming loose, we lived with until 2008 and then decided we could finally do a new bathroom and have it done correctly. The old bathroom looked like a cheap home depot job.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I am also interested in any recommendations, but not in a total rush. I figured we would wait until most of the Sandy-rush-to repair was over. I don't want anything fancy. No fancy water jets in the shower. Like the OP, it's just a basic small bathroom. I won't be replacing any lighting and do not expect any electrical work, but if needed, that is something we can do ourselves. I do have to replace the shower box and wouldn't be suprised if other plumbing problems are discovered. I dont' want to move anything around and would like to try to keep the tiled floor as it is.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 PM

43 posts, read 60,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Demo and debris removal
Any rot repair
Rough plumbing (tub/shower body, toilet Sink)
Heating - relocate?
Rough electric
Insulation
mud floor
Durock
Sheetrock and spackle
Tile floor/walls
Counter top material? Vanity?
Install tub, toilet, sink
Tile tub area
Finish plumbing
Shower doors
Finish electric - hang fixtures, outlet covers, etc
Install. Medicine cabinet, towel bars, tp holder, grab bars, soap dishes, toothbrush holder, shelves, etc.

Just a few things off the top of ky head in no particular order.
I know this is a typo but "KY" head almost seems appropo

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Each to his own, but I think most Long Islanders would find it a challenge to get a bathroom done properly in this manner and for this cost. If the OP had the time and skills to correctly inventory the materials and go out and buy them, maybe he could also do the work himself. And getting a reputable -- and I stress the word "reputable" -- contractor on Long Island to do the job for $2K is wishful thinking. You obviously haven't hired a plumber recently.

Most Long Islanders would fid it a challenge to punch our way out of a paper bag. You know one of the most intresting result of globalization is that we don't make anything anymore. Nothing tangable. All of the factories are gone and we cannot survive without going to Wallmart, Ikea, Target or Costco and getting it. LI was all farms back in the days people doing things themself, come on at least get in there and demo the bathroom yourself it does not take skilled labor for that just be careful.

And we get upset because the illegials are willing to do these jobs.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was very pleased and very satisfied. I would use them again for a kitchen renovation.
Good to know. I had one guy do a tiny bathroom and he took weeks to complete it. I remember coming home early one day and finding him reading the paper and drinking coffee. Then he sliced his thumb and that set things back further. We used to joke that This Old House would have had to go for several seasons to cover this guy's work on the bathroom. ("On today's show: Bob sits down and drinks coffee.")

On a more recent bathroom, I got a solid recommendation from friends and had the guy buy the materials for us. Then, we couldn't get him to show up to start the work. It was impossible to get him on the phone for weeks. If I recall correctly, I may have had to file a small claims action to goose him about sending our deposit back for the labor.

Then we turned over the job to a great carpenter who's done a lot of work for us in the past. He assured us he could do it and, on the surface, it looked good. Now, we are having some problems with slightly bowed shower walls and tiles cracking. As a bathroom installer, he's a great carpenter.

Call me wasteful, but I'd rather pay more and get the job done right. And to the DIYers, please consider that there are some of us who don't really feel like doing demo work after we get off the LIRR at 8 pm.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Good to know. I had one guy do a tiny bathroom and he took weeks to complete it. I remember coming home early one day and finding him reading the paper and drinking coffee. Then he sliced his thumb and that set things back further. We used to joke that This Old House would have had to go for several seasons to cover this guy's work on the bathroom. ("On today's show: Bob sits down and drinks coffee.")

On a more recent bathroom, I got a solid recommendation from friends and had the guy buy the materials for us. Then, we couldn't get him to show up to start the work. It was impossible to get him on the phone for weeks. If I recall correctly, I may have had to file a small claims action to goose him about sending our deposit back for the labor.

Then we turned over the job to a great carpenter who's done a lot of work for us in the past. He assured us he could do it and, on the surface, it looked good. Now, we are having some problems with slightly bowed shower walls and tiles cracking. As a bathroom installer, he's a great carpenter.

Call me wasteful, but I'd rather pay more and get the job done right. And to the DIYers, please consider that there are some of us who don't really feel like doing demo work after we get off the LIRR at 8 pm.
He he, LIRR at 8 PM... I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island