Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM

63 posts, read 90,273 times

Advertisements

How is it? I have been hearing that most people take a different line. If that is the case, which line? I am litterally walking distance to Roslyn LIRR.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 09:48 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,546 times
Roslyn is on the Oyster Bay line, which has diesel-powered trains. Except for two trains a day, you have to change at Jamaica. You can go to the MTA web site and look at the schedule and prices. I would say that you have two alternatives: 1) drive to a station much further away and gamble that you can find non-resident parking (I know someone from Manhasset Hills who drives to Merillon Avenue), or 2) rent a space from a church or gas station in Manhasset and drive there every day. Solution 1 is a gamble and 2 is quite expensive.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM

17 posts, read 36,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd317 View Post
How is it? I have been hearing that most people take a different line. If that is the case, which line? I am litterally walking distance to Roslyn LIRR.

Thanks!
Take the 8:10 AM train from Roslyn to Hunterspoint Ave. This one is direct; no need to change at Jamaica. Get off at Hunterspoint Ave. (8:55am), take a short walk over the bridge to the #7 subway. From there it is 2 stops to Grand Central Station where you can switch to other subways or walk easily around Midtown East.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM

131 posts, read 333,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsd317 View Post

Thanks!
If you are walking distance to Roslyn lirr then you should take that line. It's just fine. There is one express in the am and one in the pm. Otherwise you switch in Jamaica. Big whoop! You just cross a 15 foot platform onto another train and the trains are coordinated to arrive simultaneously. It takes a whole 10 seconds. Don't listen to the naysayers who attack the oyster bay line.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM

11 posts, read 13,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
If you are walking distance to Roslyn lirr then you should take that line. It's just fine. There is one express in the am and one in the pm. Otherwise you switch in Jamaica. Big whoop! You just cross a 15 foot platform onto another train and the trains are coordinated to arrive simultaneously. It takes a whole 10 seconds. Don't listen to the naysayers who attack the oyster bay line.
Exactly! Changing at Jamaica is pretty straightforward if you're older than 12 you can do it.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM

840 posts, read 2,447,037 times
The oyster bay line is awful. if i work til 6, I don't get home til 730 or 745. I wish companies on long island paid a decent salary.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Warning if you work late, the OB line doesn't run late into the late night. Then you are screwed.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Warning if you work late, the OB line doesn't run late into the late night. Then you are screwed.
Nonsense. The last trains for Roslyn station leave Penn Station at 11:14pm or 1:11am. Fine...if you get out of work after that time and you still need to ride the LIRR train home to Roslyn then you should avoid the Oyster Bay line. Otherwise it is just fine. No matter when you leave Penn the ride is no more than 50-55mins. From Penn to Port Washington is 45 minutes off peak. Big deal. You save a whole 10 minutes each way by riding PW line instead of the OB line. If you need to drive to PW then there goes the time difference since you said you can walk to Roslyn RR station. In the age of computers and smartphones you can easily check the LIRR schedule and time your departure from your office accordingly to get on the right train and be home in a little over an hour. Like I said, don't listen to the naysayers.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
The oyster bay line is awful. if i work til 6, I don't get home til 730 or 745. I wish companies on long island paid a decent salary.
OB line is just fine. If you work till 6 then you can take a 6:16pm or 6:36pm train out of Penn which gets you to Roslyn in less than 50 minutes. What's so bad about that? A whole ten minutes later than the PW line. Big deal. Plus OB line is never crowded. Always get a seat and unlimited free parking at Roslyn station. Overall, I think OB line is great. Don't listen to the haters.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
OB line is just fine. If you work till 6 then you can take a 6:16pm or 6:36pm train out of Penn which gets you to Roslyn in less than 50 minutes. What's so bad about that? A whole ten minutes later than the PW line. Big deal. Plus OB line is never crowded. Always get a seat and unlimited free parking at Roslyn station. Overall, I think OB line is great. Don't listen to the haters.
Maybe his office isn't located near Penn Station and he will miss those trains if leaving his office at 6 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: