Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 AM

208 posts, read 913,397 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have a quick question about landscaping contractors. Has anyone ever heard of them just doing something like a fall cleanup of leaves and such on your property without having to hire them to maintain your lawn as well?

Reason I ask is because I currently use a landscaper, but after this year's fall cleanup I will be canceling their services to do them myself next year. With a one year old at home now, I find it utterly offensive to have to listen to these high powered leaf blowers and huge lawn mowers cutting and blowing around leaves on 40x100 properties, especially since they always seem to be doing this while my son is sleeping, but I digress....

Anyway, I think I can handle cutting my own lawn on my small property, however, my property as well as my neighbor's properties on all sides have huge trees and the leaves always seem to make their way into my yard. I wouldn't mind hiring a company to just clean up the leaves while I cut the lawn myself, because regardless of the blower noise, it is a big job around here and I don't have much time with the baby around.

Does anyone know if any landscapers do this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I think most landscapers will do a fall cleanup w/o a contract. During our first 2 years in our home, we used to hire them for just Fall and Spring cleanups because at the time, my husband cut our lawn.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Does your town do it? Garden City goes around with these huge vacuum trucks. Maybe you should check?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Does your town do it? Garden City goes around with these huge vacuum trucks. Maybe you should check?
Yeah, but you still have to get those leaves to the curb. A Fall/Spring cleanup usually involves collecting all the leaves on the property, near fence lines, in planting beds, etc..

Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default Keep it simple...

I would recommend asking your neighbors for a landscaper reference. Every outfit offers some form of leaf removal service with varying degrees of complexity. For my money I'd only go with a service if they did it all from collecting to removal.

I'm not sure why the earlier poster believes you would need to push the piles to the curb. No one I've known to use such a service ever had to do so and the two times I used a service they took care of the whole deal.

Also, I know of some people who have approached work crews (not the boss/owner) and offered them cash to do the work. If they're in the neighborhood and can squeeze in a small job they are sometimes willing to accommodate.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

I'm not sure why the earlier poster believes you would need to push the piles to the curb. No one I've known to use such a service ever had to do so and the two times I used a service they took care of the whole deal.
My post was in reference to "town vacuum trucks" and generally when towns offer that service, they require that you bring the leaves to the curb.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:16 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default Where, oh where, do they still offer that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My post was in reference to "town vacuum trucks" and generally when towns offer that service, they require that you bring the leaves to the curb.
I didn't think there were towns on Long Island that still offered that service. Does that still happen?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I would recommend asking your neighbors for a landscaper reference. Every outfit offers some form of leaf removal service with varying degrees of complexity. For my money I'd only go with a service if they did it all from collecting to removal.
Good idea -- the landscaper who is already doing a neighbor's yard might be more willing to take a new client/job on the same street as an existing customer.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 AM

187 posts, read 863,155 times
Just check the pennysaver - there are always landscapers advertising fall cleanups. you call them, they come and give you an estimate, and you decide if you want to pay them that amount to do the cleanup. No other obligation required.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
I've been cutting my own lawn for years. I used to hire a contractor for fall clean-up only and never had any problem finding one to do it. Just don't let them pressure you into signing a contract for the rest of the year.

I live in Port Washington and the Town of North Hempstead does pick up leaves in late November/early December. All you have to do is sweep them into the street. Just don't do it 3 weeks before or the leaves will blow into your neighbor's yard and they will yell at you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island