Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM

238 posts, read 1,957,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No it's not. First of all, doubtful there is a CO for the garage conversion, second of all, I don't want to come home to a fugly house every day, third I would never buy a house built on a slab. Glad it's HGTV proper on the inside.
The garage has a CO. People on this board can be so presumptuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
Prepare to be shocked. It was built that way, as were several (around 20) of the houses within a 2-block radius. All built in 1949.
Is it a levitt? No amount of landscaping is going to make that much of a difference. The driveway is very awkward. It probably would look better on the other side. I wonder if it snows alot if you would have to jump out a window to get out of the house. Mind if I ask how much for the place?

Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
First of all, in general, I think it's a decent raised ranch. Now here's my 2 cents.

I could go into detail on why garage conversions are usually a bad idea, but because it's water under the bridge at this point, I'll focus on the awkwardness of the bay window in front of the driveway. It would be nice to move the driveway to the other side—a crossover. (Better yet, it looks like you might have enough room to move it alongside the house where the trash bins are, if you remove the bushes, which would be more ideal.) Bay windows are supposed to command a good view. No matter how nice my car is, I wouldn't want to stare at it (or vice versa) through that window every morning. Better the top of bushes or even a well-manicured lawn. It'll likely require another permit, but a better view may be worth your while.

I know you don't want to redo the vinyl, but you asked for opinions on adding curb appeal. Even a shade or two darker would make the exterior look less monochromatic.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Is it a levitt? No amount of landscaping is going to make that much of a difference. The driveway is very awkward. It probably would look better on the other side. I wonder if it snows alot if you would have to jump out a window to get out of the house. Mind if I ask how much for the place?
Nope, not a levitt. Many houses in the area are built on slabs - not uncommon at all. Like I said originally, I've been seriously considering moving the driveway to the other side of the property where it can extend further back and no longer run directly into the house.

The house was pretty expensive due to the fully renovated interior, # of bedrooms and bathrooms, and the neighborhood and school district.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
First of all, in general, I think it's a decent raised ranch. Now here's my 2 cents.

I could go into detail on why garage conversions are usually a bad idea, but because it's water under the bridge at this point, I'll focus on the awkwardness of the bay window in front of the driveway. It would be nice to move the driveway to the other side—a crossover. (Better yet, it looks like you might have enough room to move it alongside the house where the trash bins are, if you remove the bushes, which would be more ideal.) Bay windows are supposed to command a good view. No matter how nice my car is, I wouldn't want to stare at it (or vice versa) through that window every morning. Better the top of bushes or even a well-manicured lawn. It'll likely require another permit, but a better view may be worth your while.

I know you don't want to redo the vinyl, but you asked for opinions on adding curb appeal. Even a shade or two darker would make the exterior look less monochromatic.
It's actually a Garrison Colonial, not a raised ranch.

I agree with you about the driveway crossover, and about the color of the vinyl. However, I think I'd sooner do something with the lower level's color rather than replace the brand new vinyl on the upper level.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Can you post photos of the inside?

Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 AM

429 posts, read 853,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Can you post photos of the inside?
Why does it matter what the inside looks like??? He's asking about ways to add CURB appeal... on the outside.

And some of the rest of you are so rude. If you don't have any suggestions for how he can improve the outward appearance, why would you reply with something as unhelpful as "I would never even set foot in that house." He's not asking if you want to BUY it or even if you like it! Rather, how he can improve it.

The only reason I can think of for people being so rude on this particular forum is because you're all so angry and bitter about how much you pay to live here, etc. If you're that unhappy, LEAVE. You're part of what makes this area so undesirable too, you know.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
If you post pictures of your house on an open forum and ask for opinions you are going to get them. Good, bad and in between. You can't "curb appeal" a house that has features that can't or won't be changed.

Get a grip. Is this your husband posting about your prospective house or something?

The OP also posted this question in the house forum last month and then wasn't happy when people in other areas gave their opinions.

The house is on a slab and now has no garage. I don't care how t.v.-ready it is on the inside, it is not a house I would consider. And my DH and I did tell the real estate agent "keep driving" when he pulled up in front of certain houses, or we saw things we couldn't live with on the listing. That is common sense. And will be something this buyer deals with if he eventually wants to sell this home. When buying a house you need to consider all the things that might give a buyer pause on re-sale. Obviously there will almost always be something - it's a question of how big a factor.

And I'm surprised there is a CO with no garage. In Garden City you cannot get a CO with no garage. I'm just hoping the OP has a copy of the document in hand.

Last edited by twingles; 06-01-2013 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 AM

429 posts, read 853,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you post pictures of your house on an open forum and ask for opinions you are going to get them. Good, bad and in between. You can't "curb appeal" a house that has features that can't or won't be changed.

Get a grip. Is this your husband posting about your prospective house or something?

The OP also posted this question in the house forum last month and then wasn't happy when people in other areas gave their opinions.

The house is on a slab and now has no garage. I don't care how t.v.-ready it is on the inside, it is not a house I would consider. And my DH and I did tell the real estate agent "keep driving" when he pulled up in front of certain houses, or we saw things we couldn't live with on the listing. That is common sense. And will be something this buyer deals with if he eventually wants to sell this home. When buying a house you need to consider all the things that might give a buyer pause on re-sale. Obviously there will almost always be something - it's a question of how big a factor.

And I'm surprised there is a CO with no garage. In Garden City you cannot get a CO with no garage. I'm just hoping the OP has a copy of the document in hand.
YOU get a grip. He didn't ask for opinions, he asked for recommendations on how to IMPROVE something he already admits he would like to improve. If you don't have any, then keep driving.

Luckily for the OP, it doesn't matter if it's a house you wouldn't ever consider. You can pay for someone else's hard work and improvements or you can buy a house that has potential to be personalized and improved to your liking and do it yourself. It's not the most foreign concept in the world.

And no, he's not my husband. I'm just so sick of seeing people hide behind their keyboards spouting off insults when you wouldn't dare do it if he asked you face to face. It's cowardly and unhelpful.

You sound kind of cranky. Maybe you should stop watching so much HGTV.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:00 AM

138 posts, read 379,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Why does it matter what the inside looks like??? He's asking about ways to add CURB appeal... on the outside.

And some of the rest of you are so rude. If you don't have any suggestions for how he can improve the outward appearance, why would you reply with something as unhelpful as "I would never even set foot in that house." He's not asking if you want to BUY it or even if you like it! Rather, how he can improve it.

The only reason I can think of for people being so rude on this particular forum is because you're all so angry and bitter about how much you pay to live here, etc. If you're that unhappy, LEAVE. You're part of what makes this area so undesirable too, you know.
Couldnt have said it better myself. You read my mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island