Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 05:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
A few of misconceptions I want to clear up:

1) I like to talk about and put my 2 cents into what I know from experience. I don't promote any place to move, here or anywhere else. I just give facts...not generalizations about the south like you and other posters. I know L.I. and I know here and I stick to that.

2) I have many many Police friends that have retired and moved all over the country. I like some of the places that I have visited and some not so much. I don't talk about those places because I don't live there and a short visit wouldn't give it proper justification good or bad.

3) I spend all my time on here You have like 14,000 posts nearly 7X's my posts...so maybe you shouldn't cast the first stone This speaks for itself

4) They're 1,000's and 1000's of places to relocate, the main thing is to fine one that will fill your needs or wants...what worked for me might or might not work for you......you results will vary and I never ever ever said this place is paradise....,nowhere is but it works for me and the family! and when its all said and done thats all the really counts!

Hope this helps! Enjoy....
I am not talking about total number of posts, but where they are and what they are about.

How many posts do you have on the Virginia forum?

How many posts do you have on the Long Island forum? Of those, how many are actually ABOUT Long Island? Of those, how many are about Virginia, particularly your home area, and trying to paint it in the most positive light to relocate to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am not talking about total number of posts, but where they are and what they are about.

How many posts do you have on the Long Island forum? Of those, how many are actually ABOUT Long Island? Of those, how many are about Virginia?
I don't post as much on that forum because they live here and know the deal. I'm really not bring anything new to the table.

When you guys post stuff, like you know what you're talking about and is so far from the truth... I chime in with the truth or my experiences. I hate the BS especially most never stepped in to my town. That BS KKK thing is a prime example. Plus I have no Idea how Pequaman knows how much my bills are and how much I can save a year living here....ludicrous.

I still have a boatload of family and friends on the Island....I keep up through them both by visiting,phone calls, and emails,skype,etc and I even DM some through this website....

L.I. will always be part of my live due to the above facts. My life will always be intertwined, I can't help that.

Another Fact.... I don't hate the Island, I think its a fine place to live if you can afford it....I just find it way way to expensive to live...hope once again this helps.....

Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
What happens to these cheap COL locales when the population explodes? I've read about the residents of Austin,tx complain about a huge jump in taxes due to the increase in population. More infrastructure costs money as well. So what do you do? Disrupt your life to save and then move again when you can't afford there? Most of these posters relentless exaggerations of how much better and cheaper their new locale is forget to tell you that if not for NY they would not be anywhere nearly as comfortable as they are now.
Agreed. The areas seeing the most pop. growth are going to (probably already) reach a tipping point eventually where services (ie, schools, services, infrastructure, etc) start to collapse. Either that or they will see skyrocketing tax rates. Pick your poison.

Quote:
Cost of Living Calculator | Richmond, VA vs Nassau County, NY | NerdWallet - Personal Finance

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Cost of Living Reference. Compare reviews & ratings. Nassau and Suffolk has the highest index in the country

Top City Cost-of-Living Comparison - AveryIndex

PayScale - New York City Rent Costs

There's a huge difference in costs between L.I and here
It's somewhere between 30-40 less to live here...trust me just 7,000 in taxes alone add up
BigMath. I'm not interested in these COL calculators. I'd be skeptical of them considering the calculators say the OP should be living very comfortably in NC. Do YOU really believe everything you read on the internet, including these calcs and those joke top 10 perfect suburb lists?
Excluding housing, how are you getting 30-40k less? I'd like to see some sort of brief list. It can't be that hard to duplicate the list of 10-15 major COL expenses I posted in my example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
So which is it, housing is included or it's not?

$8K is the difference in my property taxes alone. If we are including housing, well I'm at $20K right there with $12K a year in mortgage payments for a house bought in 1995, which is a lot less than people are facing with today’s prices.

Sure, some things are the same and some are more expensive depending on where one moves to (like water for me), but big ticket items like electricity, is half of what it costs on LI, not to mention natural gas. Those 2 items bring another $3k per year in savings in my case. Auto insurance is another $700 savings in my case on three (older) cars instead of 2 in NY.

Then there are the intangibles like commuting - 30 to 40 minutes to get to work in my case instead of 90 to Manhattan/down town, since I could not make the salary I was earning in Nassau County.

Currently I make about 85% of what I made in NYC, so for me it works out. The numbers may not pay out for people in the service industry, but for skilled fields like IT, management, and others it may. That’s why it's important to do research ahead of time.

I know everyone who posts on these boards is special and they have special jobs that can be found in NYC, but for the average of us who dared to dream, we did a little reseach and found out that the rest of the country is growing up and that their special job may acutally exist and pay a pretty decent wage in some other place.

And again, for the average person, this is the reality. The average weekly wage, as from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that aside from the 50% increase in pay for jobs in Manhattan, jobs on LI really do not pay as much as people think that they do. Here the comparison is from the Raleigh-Durham (in keeping with your example) and Charlotte areas. From - County wages and employment

Attachment 113811
It makes sense to exclude housing. It's a highly subjective thing to bring into the discussion, as is income disparity. For your example, wash out the 15% loss of income you had vs NYC with the $12k you save in housing. Sound fair? Forget intangibles--again, highly subjective.
So for a 'like house' to the one you lived in on LI, you are saving about $8k in property taxes? Utilities and auto insurance another $3700.... $11,700.
Figure you were most likely getting back about $.25 on every dollar in property tax on LI through tax deductions, that likely brings you easily under $10k in savings vs LI. ($11.7k - $2.5k) $9200. no where near $20k cheaper.

Last edited by Yac; 07-05-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 06:09 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Agreed. The areas seeing the most pop. growth are going to (probably already) reach a tipping point eventually where services (ie, schools, services, infrastructure, etc) start to collapse. Either that or they will see skyrocketing tax rates. Pick your poison.

BigMath. I'm not interested in these COL calculators. I'd be skeptical of them considering the calculators say the OP should be living very comfortably in NC. Do YOU really believe everything you read on the internet, including these calcs and those joke top 10 perfect suburb lists?
Excluding housing, how are you getting 30-40k less? I'd like to see some sort of brief list. It can't be that hard to duplicate the list of 10-15 major COL expenses I posted in my example...

It makes sense to exclude housing. It's a highly subjective thing to bring into the discussion, as is income disparity. For your example, wash out the 15% loss of income you had vs NYC with the $12k you save in housing. Sound fair? Forget intangibles--again, highly subjective.
So for a 'like house' to the one you lived in on LI, you are saving about $8k in property taxes? Utilities and auto insurance another $3700.... $11,700.
Figure you were most likely getting back about $.25 on every dollar in property tax on LI through tax deductions, that likely brings you easily under $10k in savings vs LI. ($11.7k - $2.5k) $9200. no where near $20k cheaper.
Ok throw all that out... I play poker with guys that make around 70-80K a year, wives don't work and they live very well... New homes,new cars, vacations, etc on a combined 75k.., I don't see that happening on L.I.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I don't post as much on that forum because they live here and know the deal. I'm really not bring anything new to the table.

When you guys post stuff, like you know what you're talking about and is so far from the truth... I chime in with the truth or my experiences. I hate the BS especially most never stepped in to my town. That BS KKK thing is a prime example. Plus I have no Idea how Pequaman knows how much my bills are and how much I can save a year living here....ludicrous.

I still have a boatload of family and friends on the Island....I keep up through them both by visiting,phone calls, and emails,skype,etc and I even DM some through this website....

L.I. will always be part of my live due to the above facts. My life will always be intertwined, I can't help that.

Another Fact.... I don't hate the Island, I think its a fine place to live if you can afford it....I just find it way way to expensive to live...hope once again this helps.....
You chime in with complete utter derisive nonsense sometimes. I still enjoy your posts at times, so I wouldn't suggest to stop posting here. Although the whole promoting VA thing while talking down LI is a little weird if you ask me.
With the KKK thread, unprovoked, you specifically targeted one predominantly white area in a derisive manner. For what reason, IDK. Coming from anyone else, it would not have been a big deal. You want to find stories on the internet about some moronic lady who moved here and was surprised there were so few blacks, I was returning the favor. If the KKK thing was BS, how were there so many relevant hits, stories, news events, involving your area on it? I don't see any LI towns with a huge KKK presence as is down there to warrant so many recent results back for that kind of search.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:

#2 - Aren't you forgetting something? How is she going to get to work on LI? Hitchhike? She is probably planning to do the NY-NC commute via driving as she is going to need a car on LI for commuting purposes. So if you insist the only option is to fly, then add a rental car for 3 days a week to the expenses column too then.

#3 - I also think anyone who spends so much time on the forum where they used to live justifying their move is terribly lonely and is obviously enjoying their new location a lot less than they pretend they are.
#2 - This is why I said it wasn't feasible. I wouldn't drive when it was eight hours each way and for the OP its going to be twelve hours (without traffic). If the OP doesn't have a car (their own or a rental), then the expenses for doing so would jump to $25k easily. I was able to do because I created an LLC to do it and got paid as a contractor. I still have a contract in NY, but I build travel and transportation into my bids. This is my last NY contract and told them, once this contract is over, I won't be bidding anymore. I advised them the only way I'd come up there is per diem and they would have to cover all expenses to come up there.

#3 - I jumped 21 years ago. The first 5 years were difficult, But once I adjusted to the Virginian way of doing things, loneliness' was the least of my issues. When I moved down here I originally settled in an area called Henrico. The worst area then and is still now is the Far West End. Too many NYrs brought their problems with them and turned a once peaceful area into Smithtown on steroids. The attitudes, traffic and drivers are as bad as LI. But once one crosses the river its a whole different world and believe it or not what BM50 states about his area is mostly correct. But it is getting congested.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Have you looked at the Virginia forum? The only ones who complain as much NYC/LI is the NOVA subforum. His is the Richmond and mine is the Richmond & Charlottesville. On both subforums no one really has any issues. That has to something when people are not complaining or ranting in these boards.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ok throw all that out... I play poker with guys that make around 70-80K a year, wives don't work and they live very well... New homes,new cars, vacations, etc on a combined 75k.., I don't see that happening on L.I.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Klansman must be a decent line of work then?? How much for getting promoted to Imperial Wizard? Kidding...

That's true, it's very unlikely on LI on a combined $75k. I just don't see where the savings are that significant besides property taxes [Housing costs and income difference excluded]

Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I just don't see where the savings are that significant besides property taxes [Housing costs and income difference excluded]
State taxes, Mortgage, Insurance are the biggies. But all the small ones like fees are minimal compared to NYC/LI. If we're talking about gas, food (supermarket), clothing, utilities,etc its about the same.

Here let me put by cable bill: HD, three DVRs, all movie channels turned on, all sport channels turned on. Nearly 1000 channels. Internet is 50/10. My bill is $160/month. How much is this on LI now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island