Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:16 AM

67 posts, read 111,048 times

Advertisements

Title of your post is misleading, he is not evicting you. This is a business he is in, he doesn't care if you like him or not - he needs "X" to cover his monthly expenses. He gave you a choice and you don't like it. That's your right but it doesn't change the facts. If you're a long time renter you should be aware of this by now.

Always amazing how as soon as peoples' LL do something they don't like they "realize it's illegal" and "want to do something about it". Simply amazing how that info becomes available.

The rest of your story is not relevant. Get a job and start saving some money and then you can buy a place and not worry about this. Trust me it will be worth it. Sounds harsh, but it's really not. You seem to think renting is nothing less than relying on the kindness of strangers.

Kids move all the time. If you choose to rent, that's the chance you take. You seem to think you can't afford a place in the district you are in - that should tell you how much you're being undercharged right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,876 times
The answers are all contained right in your own posts. You're in an illegal apartment and have no lease, so the landlord can do whatever he wants when it comes to raising the rent and/or asking you to leave. Whether you believe it's unfair or some kind of personal attack is immaterial. You can either pay the new asking price or find a new place... that's really all there is to it.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:34 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,964 times
Sounds like the driveway situation has made him angry and the $200 a month will calm his nerves for a while. Speak to the LL and see if you can iron out the differences and potentially negotiate the increase.

I believe I understand your situation (kids, one income, school district etc.) but try not to make your problems become his.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
1. Make arrangements to find another place and get ready to move

2. Once you are sure you have a new place and are ready to move,call the town and find out if the house is a one family or a legal 2 family.

3. BEFORE you move out, report him to the town and be there for the town inspectors to let them in so they can see the illegal apartment(s). They will probably also give you an affidavit to sign, stating what you know about the house and apartments.

4. DO NOT BACK OUT ON THIS!!!!!! The town will give him fines (at the very least, a few thousand dollars) and he won't be able to rent to anyone until he gets everything legalized.

5. Report him to the IRS and the NYS Taxation and finance for non-reported income. If you have your rent receipts/cancelled checks, that's enough proof.

I had to do this to my former landlord. For absolutely no reason at all, he was treating us like crap, his son vandalized my car, they threatened us, etc. VERY stupid because he had a one family house that was divided up into 3 aparments. I called the town after I secured a new apartment. The inspector came out, I let him in. He took photos, etc. I filled out and signed the affidavit, etc. The moron tried to fight it in court. I went to the town attorney and said I would testify, I had rent receipts, etc. Once he heard this, he copped out and had to pay thousands in fines. After that? I contacted IRS/NYS --- not sure what kind of back taxes and fines he had to pay there but I'm sure it was a lot.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
Title of your post is misleading, he is not evicting you. This is a business he is in, he doesn't care if you like him or not - he needs "X" to cover his monthly expenses. He gave you a choice and you don't like it. That's your right but it doesn't change the facts. If you're a long time renter you should be aware of this by now.

Always amazing how as soon as peoples' LL do something they don't like they "realize it's illegal" and "want to do something about it". Simply amazing how that info becomes available.

The rest of your story is not relevant. Get a job and start saving some money and then you can buy a place and not worry about this. Trust me it will be worth it. Sounds harsh, but it's really not. You seem to think renting is nothing less than relying on the kindness of strangers.

Kids move all the time. If you choose to rent, that's the chance you take. You seem to think you can't afford a place in the district you are in - that should tell you how much you're being undercharged right now.

What's so "amazing" about it???? When I first moved out here, I never heard of an "illegal" apartment. I lived in the apartment I was in for several years before the new landlord took over and he was a complete asss. When I had to call the cops after his son vandalized my car for the 4th time, the cops asked me who else lived in the house. When I told them, they explained the apartment is almost definitely illegal and to call the town. I was like , The cops had to explain it to me and, once I secured a new place, I made the necessary calls.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 AM

9 posts, read 14,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Sounds like the driveway situation has made him angry and the $200 a month will calm his nerves for a while. Speak to the LL and see if you can iron out the differences and potentially negotiate the increase.

I believe I understand your situation (kids, one income, school district etc.) but try not to make your problems become his.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks peabodyn, you do understand the situation. That thought had crossed my mind as well. I am going to give it a try since no harm can come from trying. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 AM

537 posts, read 1,449,010 times
Landlords also value the importance of "paying tenants". How long have you lived there for and when was the last time he raised your rent? You should basically accept a rent increase every year. If you have been there for more than a year without a rent increase, consider yourself lucky.

Tell the landlord you are a reliable tenant that pays your rent on time, and offer to split the difference and have an increase of $100 a month. And if he agrees, try not to **** him off.

I don't believe a verbal notice to vacate is binding. He should do it in writing. Anyone chime in on the legality of a verbal notice?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 AM

537 posts, read 1,449,010 times
Also while you can complain all you want about the legality of this rental, if you think you are going to find a legal rental for what you are paying... good luck. Illegal rentals are all over Long Island. And the ones that are legal, the landlords charge top dollar because the legal rentals are in the minority.

I saw this all the time, it's amazing how the legality of an apartment only comes up when it's convenient for the tenant.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Sounds like the least difficult position is as Peabody said. Try to humble up and make nice with the LL. Maybe discuss your position politely and negotiate the increase down a little. Even so, a $200 increase in this very hot rental market (even illegal apts after Sandy) in 2 years is really not an egregious deal. Just taxes and LIPA increases eat way more than that. As annoying as it might seem, you seem to need him more than he needs you right now and if it was truly personal he wouldn't raise it $200 and give you 60 days. He'd just give you 30 days. Absorb the cost, make nice and keep your life in tact for the fall and winter. Oh, and another suggestion....TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO STAY OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY...IT'S NOT YOURS and it jeopardizes your (and you family's) living arrangement. Kind of a no-brainer.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 14,207 times
LOL... life happens, people pull in driveways (it's large and empty) , it slips your mind sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island