Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times

Advertisements

happened this morning - surprised accidents don't happen more often. And it's not like you could hold up the cars for a garbage truck going door to door. Got to always assume other drivers cannot see you.

Quote:
A Town of Oyster Bay sanitation worker was struck and killed in Oyster Bay Monday morning on West Main Street while he was working.

Police at the scene said the worker was struck while picking up garbage in the vicinity of Verelli's Market by an eastbound motorist. The victim was either on or near his truck when the collision took place.

Police said the female driver apparently was blinded by sunlight as she drove eastbound past the garbage truck. The windshield of a red Mini-Cooper was shattered about 75-feet away from the garbage truck.

Town Sanitation Worker Struck, Killed by Car - Police & Fire - Plainview, NY Patch

Regardless of whether the sun was truly at fault in this case, it is always an issue, especially at dawn with rush-hour traffic on multiple highways especially the 3 major ones since they run west<->east. Isn't it time for some advancement in glare-reducing windshields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,107,707 times
The garbage men in NHP pickup garbage on both sides of the street at the same time. It's dangerous as you think you are passing the truck safely and a worker runs in front of the truck to the other side of the street without looking.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,884,877 times
I think it's actually time for self loading garbage trucks. Also cuts down on the number of town employees you have to pay.

I am surprised this doesn't happen more often - especially when the workers must handle both sides of the road as is often the case.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,075,321 times
It surprises me this isnt more common as sanitation in my area is under a work to complete contract and those guys drive and act like maniacs so they can rush off to their second jobs.

They often use their trucks to block the streets, run haphazardly from one side to the other without regard to traffic, and barely can replace the can close to the owners house.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 AM

573 posts, read 1,244,785 times
I'm not familiar with the roadway where this happened, but I would imagine if the driver struck him and killed him the driver must have been going pretty fast.

I thought it was common driving practice to slow down when you approach a garbage truck, as you never know if one of the workers will just pop out from behind the truck - I'd rather be a few minutes late than hit somebody (though sometimes I get the feeling the garbage men intentionally block traffic).

If she was so blinded by the sun glare that she didn't even see the truck, she also should have slowed down. I've experienced that and it can really disorient you. A shame this happened.

As an aside, the issue of sun glare has come before the courts and it does not excuse you for getting into an accident (the case itself dealt with whether a driver was entitled to rely on the emergency doctrine when they were blinded by sun glare - the court found they could not - the emergency doctrine holds that a party may not be negligent when, if faced with a sudden and unexpected circumstance which gives little to no time for thought or reflection, a party's actions are reasonable in the context of the emergency, as long as that actor did not create the emergency - a classic example is swerving out your lane to avoid a head-on collision and side-swiping someone). The case was Lifson v. City of Syracuse, 17 N.Y.3d 492 (2011).

Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times
the street is pretty wide. The pic from the article shows the truck also pointed east (like the driver which meant she had to drive around it - but it could've been moved after the accident).
Attached Thumbnails
sanitation worker struck and killed-capture.jpg  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,884,877 times
I've had plenty of claims where people claim they couldn't see for a variety of reasons, including sun glare. Hope this lady has good insurance coverage, because as posted above, it's not an acceptable excuse. Doesn't seem like the thought occurred to her to slow down since she couldn't see and now someone is dead.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,601 times
Default Sanitation Worker Killed

First of all I was walking my child with a friend in town , right after this had happened..I was right on the scene......(And I hope she reads this) What I saw was a terrible scene , She had to have been speeding if you saw the car and scene.....Then she walked past me and my friend as I was standing on the scene, On the phone (wearing sunglasses) Saying the detectives let her go and she has insurance and will get her car back later.....She was so calm, talking as if she didn't just kill someone...I know people respond differently to situations .....But My friend and I couldn't believe what we saw and heard! As if she was more concerned getting her car back, then anything...... If she was going slow and using caution while passing the garbage truck, This could of been avoided!!!! She would of had time to stop...Sunglare...Okay , but you can't miss a large , loud yellow Garbage Truck!!!!! I feel for his family and friends!!!!!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
It surprises me this isnt more common as sanitation in my area is under a work to complete contract and those guys drive and act like maniacs so they can rush off to their second jobs.

They often use their trucks to block the streets, run haphazardly from one side to the other without regard to traffic, and barely can replace the can close to the owners house.

Even if the are doing there jobs , running around taking the trash cans to the truck, Go slow and proceed with caution....They are humans doing a job!!! And deserve to live!!!! There Not all racing to there second jobs, Easy for you to be so critical "Your still alive & get to see your family!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The garbage men in NHP pickup garbage on both sides of the street at the same time. It's dangerous as you think you are passing the truck safely and a worker runs in front of the truck to the other side of the street without looking.

But, If your NOT speeding , you should be able to stop...Always assume you can't see them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island