Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella133 View Post
First of all I was walking my child with a friend in town , right after this had happened..I was right on the scene......(And I hope she reads this) What I saw was a terrible scene , She had to have been speeding if you saw the car and scene.....Then she walked past me and my friend as I was standing on the scene, On the phone (wearing sunglasses) Saying the detectives let her go and she has insurance and will get her car back later.....She was so calm, talking as if she didn't just kill someone...I know people respond differently to situations .....But My friend and I couldn't believe what we saw and heard! As if she was more concerned getting her car back, then anything...... If she was going slow and using caution while passing the garbage truck, This could of been avoided!!!! She would of had time to stop...Sunglare...Okay , but you can't miss a large , loud yellow Garbage Truck!!!!! I feel for his family and friends!!!!!

Bella,

I applaud you for speaking up... I got a text from my friend saying that one of our friends was struck and killed and the person you speak of was my friend. I am shocked and saddened that he is no longer with us and my thoughts go our to his family, friends and especially his girls.

You've been taken way too soon my friend RIP NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella133 View Post
But, If your NOT speeding , you should be able to stop...Always assume you can't see them!
Yes you should be able to stop but for them to assume it's OK to run in front of a car going 20 mph is dumb.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:05 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
so a sanitation worker is killed and what we have to say about it is these guys block roads, rush the job to go to second job and time for self loading garbage trucks? wow.

I would love to hear the comments if a motorist for"blinded" by the sun and run over a 17 year old high school kid.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
so a sanitation worker is killed and what we have to say about it is these guys block roads, rush the job to go to second job and time for self loading garbage trucks? wow.

I would love to hear the comments if a motorist for"blinded" by the sun and run over a 17 year old high school kid.
What people are saying is that sanitation workers do things that un-neccesarily put them in harm's way.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 AM

513 posts, read 837,528 times
Last Thursday I left the house to drive my son to work and saw one of the loaders working one handed with a cell phone to his ear. Surprised that is accepted by his coworkers, not even for the safety factor but I know those guys are always going as fast as they can. Returning an hour later, I saw the same guy, this time texting as he went from the curb to the truck.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
I'm surprised the moronic landscapers who park their trucks in such a way that forces people to cross double yellow lines don't cause more accidents.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
no charges expected: No Charges Expected in Death of Town Sanitation Worker - Police & Fire - Plainview, NY Patch

He just emptied a can and was on his way back toward the cab of the truck when he was struck from behind causing head trauma. And as the comment states, these can be loud machines and workers may not hear your car approaching. Drive with caution.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. The way people treat these guys is shameful. I've seen people blow by them, speed around them, flip them off and even throw stuff out of cars at them. People seem to forget that trash collectors provide a valuable and necessary requirement, and that because they handle trash, they're somehow beneath the rest of us. The funny part is that a lot of these guys are raking in some serious cash.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What people are saying is that sanitation workers do things that un-neccesarily put them in harm's way.
Sanitation workers do nothing that put them in harms way. That is the nature of their job. They work in traffic and most of the time they are very courteous to other motorists.

I think when it comes to public workers, Long Islanders in general has a problem with them.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
The funny part is that a lot of these guys are raking in some serious cash.
I don't know how you define serious cash but by published data the sanitation collectors seem to be making around $50,000 base with overtime that brings them to the high 50s or low 60s. That is for the Town of Oyster Bay.

Considering they can work as little as 3 to 4 hours a day...that isn't bad. Then add in their second job..which many of them have...they can earn a decent living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island