Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Nice, maybe you can go door to door and amass some signatures for your proposal? I'm sure your neighbors with school aged children would appreciate it.
Why does she have these kids records. I thought that was a violation of their privacy? Also some parents choose to hold a child back a year (if they don't feel they are ready) or they may have moved from a state where the education level is not deemed up to par and thus they were put back a grade and are sometimes 18 or 19 as a senior. Most kids do not graduate until they are 18 stop generalizing. You have issues with a select few and may have information that you should not be in possession of because of privacy laws.

Let the hunt begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Why does she have these kids records. I thought that was a violation of their privacy? Also some parents choose to hold a child back a year (if they don't feel they are ready) or they may have moved from a state where the education level is not deemed up to par and thus they were put back a grade and are sometimes 18 or 19 as a senior. Most kids do not graduate until they are 18 stop generalizing. You have issues with a select few and may have information that you should not be in possession of because of privacy laws.

Let the hunt begin.
You have some excellent points. Can you expand to the OP on how you can help?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No, they aren't picking on her and haven't invited her to get high or anything like that. However, I don't want her to be around (and possibly influenced by) people like that. My daughter is pretty straight-laced but is sometimes "fascinated" by the "badass" people or gothic stuff she sees on TV. She could easily decide one day to "just see" what it's like or something and then what?

I'm sure they feel like complete idiots, too. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be 18 or 19 and having to sit in a class with a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds. Embarassing!!!!

We're working on getting her grades higher. She currently has a B - B+ average. She's working harder now and hopefully by the end of the year, she will be back up to an A average as she had been in past years.
Newsflash: There are plenty of "badass", gothic, drug-using 14 and 15 year olds roaming high schools everywhere. Your kid is either going to seek out trouble or she isn't, and that's mostly determined by your ability/skills/effort as a parent, not who she happens to sit next to in math class. If your ability to keep your daughter on the straight-and-narrow is so limited/tenuous that sitting next to a person with tattoos in a supervised educational setting is going to be her undoing, I'd say the seeds of trouble were sown long before she entered that classroom, and whatever happens would've happened regardless.

I was in advanced classes and spent most of high school in classrooms with seniors and "super seniors" - none of those older students ever exposed me to anything I hadn't already been exposed to by students my own age, and it never occurred to me to want to be "bad" just because I knew "bad" kids.

Last point - you keep referring to these students as "adults" - have you met an 18 year old? Specifically an 18 year old boy? They're bigger than 14 year olds, but they're hardly "grown men." An 18 year old boy is a lot closer, cognitively, to your daughter than he is to you, tattooed or not. Get a grip on yourself, get a grip on your daughter, and focus on being a parent instead of preemptively looking for outside forces to blame in the event your kids exits the straight-and-narrow.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
OMG, piercings and tattoos?! EEEEK... The horror. Tell your daughter to keep it in her pants and stop fantasizing about the "older bad boys." Or is it "Mom" who has the real cradle robber issues?! Hmmm. BTW, grade levels are mixed in extracurricular programs, afterschool, etc from K-5, then 6-8, then 9-12. If this classroom is your kid's first experience with older boys, she must have been home schooled or doesn't do much else. Band? Sports? Drama? All mixed grades. If you want to stereotype, that "tattooed kid who smells like weed" is probably the next Eddie Van Halen. Just bad at math. Deal with individuals, not sweeping generalizations. If the kid acts inappropriately, then deal with it. If he's yelling at the teacher, that's something. Why are you complaining here then? Talk to the school. It's an INDIVIDUAL acting out. Not an indictment of an age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island