Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM

25 posts, read 100,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
great thread idea!

This isn't a high traffic merge, but the exit (it's not really a ramp) from Sunrise Highway to the service Road in Bay shore (I think it's by 5th Ave.) is extremely dangerous. There's no lane for you to exit onto and then merge onto the service road - you simply have to maintain your speed coming off of Sunrise and hope nobody is coming right behind you on the service road once you're there. It's terrifying.
OMG it is the absolute worst - so dangerous. I always would look well in advance of the exit to see if anyone was in the left lane of the service road. I just moved away from that area and that was one thing I was very happy about not having to deal with anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenerz View Post
OMG it is the absolute worst - so dangerous. I always would look well in advance of the exit to see if anyone was in the left lane of the service road. I just moved away from that area and that was one thing I was very happy about not having to deal with anymore!
I never use it - I'll enter the service road one exit early to avoid it altogether.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,588 times
Quote:
This isn't a high traffic merge, but the exit (it's not really a ramp) from Sunrise Highway to the service Road in Bay shore (I think it's by 5th Ave.) is extremely dangerous. There's no lane for you to exit onto and then merge onto the service road - you simply have to maintain your speed coming off of Sunrise and hope nobody is coming right behind you on the service road once you're there. It's terrifying.
I missed this before - those exits are terrible, no idea what they were smoking when they built them. You're thinking of the express-to-service exits for 5th Ave and Brentwood Rd, from both directions they dump you directly into the left lane of the service road with no run-off space. The eastbound 5th Ave exit and westbound Brentwood Rd exit are especially bad because you're exiting as you come down from an overpass, making it that much harder to see who's coming.

The westbound ramp for the Robert Moses exits is equally bad, especially if you're trying to get on the northbound RM - not only are you dumped right into the left lane while coming down from an overpass, you also have to cut across immediately or you'll miss the exit. Pathetic planning.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Never said anything about letting who's behind me "dictate" anything? Putting words in my mouth is another indication your'e either unfamiliar with the exit or simply misinformed.

my point is that the "danger" is there regardless of how well you drive due to the short length of the exit "ramp". It's significantly shorter than the previous one after Udall. Always has been. Not only that, but the prior exit gives you your own lane to enter into. And I haven't even gotten into the extremely quick lane change necessary if you want to get onto 5th Ave. South.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone that it's a poorly designed road. I agree with that.

But, the fact still stands that you must yield and not what you said below

Quote:
you simply have to maintain your speed coming off of Sunrise and hope nobody is coming right behind you on the service road once you're there
That is how you're doing it wrong.

Not putting anything in anyone's mouth.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:39 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
I missed this before - those exits are terrible, no idea what they were smoking when they built them. You're thinking of the express-to-service exits for 5th Ave and Brentwood Rd, from both directions they dump you directly into the left lane of the service road with no run-off space. The eastbound 5th Ave exit and westbound Brentwood Rd exit are especially bad because you're exiting as you come down from an overpass, making it that much harder to see who's coming.

The westbound ramp for the Robert Moses exits is equally bad, especially if you're trying to get on the northbound RM - not only are you dumped right into the left lane while coming down from an overpass, you also have to cut across immediately or you'll miss the exit. Pathetic planning.
I agree.

In general, it's also difficult when you're on the LIE (probably also some cases on Sunrise) when you need to turn right onto a cross street, since you have very little time to weave to the far right side of the service road. One of the worst is LIE eastbound Exit 57. That is signed for Vets Highway (NY 454), but the first traffic light you get to is Motor Parkway, and it is almost immediately after you exit. When you exit, you are in a left turn only lane onto Motor Parkway. If traffic stopped at the light is backed up beyond the ramp, there is literally no way to get over to the right to go straight across Motor Parkway to get to Vets Highway. Your best bet is to just turn left onto Motor Parkway, and then turn onto Vets Highway.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I agree that it could be dangerous.

Coming FROM the westbound LIE and going south onto the Sagtikos Pkwy, there is a thin lane that curves across the whole interchange. When your driving on it, it feels very uncomfortable and if it's icy then you better slow down! lol
Are you referring to where the left lane of the flyover ramp merges into the right lane of the Sagtikos? I agree that's not the best design, but it seems to work better than it should, maybe since most of through the traffic on the Sag stays in the left lane. The right lane on the flyover ramp is mostly useless, since it becomes an exit only lane to Pilgrim State.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I'm not disagreeing with anyone that it's a poorly designed road. I agree with that.

But, the fact still stands that you must yield and not what you said below
And because of the poor design, it can be very difficult to yield/merge. That's the whole point.
Doing it "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant. You can do everything perfectly as you approach the exit and still find yourself in a dangerous situation.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
As other have said, one of the worst merges has to be Sunrise Highway off ramp to the service road in the West Islip-Bay Shore area. For that reason when I am on the service road in that area I try to stay in the right lane so people coming off Sunrise have one less car to worry about.

In the Town of Babylon we would have the same problem but instead what they do is force the service road into one lane and then give the off ramp for Sunrise its own lane. Much, much safer then Islip.

Why it was not set up like that in Islip I do not know but maybe its because the service road is too busy.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
How about Exit 25A going from the Cross Island Parkway to the Southern State Parkway (the other side, Exit 25B takes you to the Belt Parkway)? It's two very narrow, almost circular lanes wide and people ALWAYS go at least double the conspicuously posted 25 mph (marked complete with flashing lights and "Slow Down"), so there are plenty of accidents, many with cars hitting the wall on the left side of the exit (you can see all the impact marks on the wall) or if they are in the right lane when they lose control, their cars fall down into the brush on the right side of the exit. That exit is an engineering nightmare and whoever designed it was either drunk or had a way too optimistic viewpoint of the typical driver's capabilities and likelihood to obey instructions like a 25 mph speed limit for the curve. When I was a kid I used to call it the "curly Q" because it was so curvy.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Just would like to see what everyone thinks is the worst traffic merge on Long Island.

I would say its the Southern State Westbound merging onto the Meadowbrook North during the AM rush, but there are some other horrible ones as well.
I also find the Southern State eastbound merging onto the Meadowbrook north is horrible anytime because you have a tiny, narrow window of opportunity to actually get into the exit without getting rear-ended by cars trying to get onto the Southern State coming from northbound Jones Beach/Meadowbrook. It's hair-raising. There is literally a white line with those cars racing onto the Southern State and then about 3 feet of a dashed line for you to squeeze in and get to the curve going OFF the Southern State and curving around onto the northbound Meadowbrook. And you KNOW with LI drivers, the ones coming onto the Southern State will have no mercy and will try their damnedest NOT to let you in and you have to literally bull your way in or miss the exit ramp altogether!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island