Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Just would like to see what everyone thinks is the worst traffic merge on Long Island.

I would say its the Southern State Westbound merging onto the Meadowbrook North during the AM rush, but there are some other horrible ones as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 AM

74 posts, read 231,976 times
The Oakdale merge on Sunrise is pretty horrible.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
great thread idea!

This isn't a high traffic merge, but the exit (it's not really a ramp) from Sunrise Highway to the service Road in Bay shore (I think it's by 5th Ave.) is extremely dangerous. There's no lane for you to exit onto and then merge onto the service road - you simply have to maintain your speed coming off of Sunrise and hope nobody is coming right behind you on the service road once you're there. It's terrifying.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Northern State Parkway.....exit 35(Hicksville/Oyster Bay) and every other exit around it. I can never understand why so many driver don't know how to merge on to the parkway. Yes, its short but its not wise to go to the very end of the ramp.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
There's a bunch of really short and dangerous ones on the NSP and SSP.

What's bad is if you merge the right way at these death traps...by waiting further up the ramp for a clearing, you'll have some jack*** honking at you or gunning his engine, thinking that you're somehow impeding him by trying not to get yourself killed.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM

34 posts, read 112,486 times
I avoid driving in the right lane on any parkway because I've noticed people entering do not understand the concept of merging and waiting for the right opportunity to merge. Instead they just continue at full speed from the ramp right onto the parkway without even looking and acting as if they have the right of way.

Some hesitant drivers in the right lane suddenly stop to let these people squeeze in and cause a chain reaction of cars stopping short. Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't cars already on the parkway continue at their speed when passing an entrance ramp or should they be slowing down to let people on?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ You are correct. All cars merging onto road are suppose to yield to oncoming traffic.

But your right. Long islanders do not understand this concept.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Northern State Parkway.....exit 35(Hicksville/Oyster Bay) and every other exit around it. I can never understand why so many driver don't know how to merge on to the parkway. Yes, its short but its not wise to go to the very end of the ramp.
I second that. I hate that merger. Those morons pile up at the very end of the ramp and as soon as there is a little opening they make a go for it. I've seen several near accidents on that road because the people are too stupid to realize you need a running start to merge onto traffic safely.

Every time I drive westbound on the Northern State and approach that merger I get real nervous. It's not just the cars on the right lane that are in harm's ways. I've seen cars on the right lane abruptly switch lanes to avoid hitting the car merging off the ramp, causing a near accident with the car(s) on the left lane. I wish they would put up a stop sign 1/3 of the way up the ramp so that the cars don't wait at the very end.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
This one is bad in the afternoons and evenings...coming off of Sunrise Highway and trying to get onto Nicholls Road North via the service road. During evening rush hour you'll be stopped for roughly half a mile before you get to go up the cloverleaf and get onto Nicholls Road.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,162 times
Sagitkos/LIE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island