Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

The best part about Long Island is that people will fight to the death for what they got.

The worst part about Long Island is that peole will fight to the death for what they think they've got.

Bottom line: Long Island is urban in density and unwilling to change and we are killing ourselves with nostalgia.

What improvements would you like to see along the worlds biggest Cul de Sac?

I've been screaming for an Intermodal Transportation Hub for Brookhaven.
What would you guys like to see and why?

I think we all realize that were not in Kansas anymore and since we're fresh out of Time Machines, how do we handle our population explosion moving forward?

crookhaven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The best part about Long Island is that people will fight to the death for what they got.

The worst part about Long Island is that peole will fight to the death for what they think they've got.

Bottom line: Long Island is urban in density and unwilling to change and we are killing ourselves with nostalgia.

What improvements would you like to see along the worlds biggest Cul de Sac?

I've been screaming for an Intermodal Transportation Hub for Brookhaven.
What would you guys like to see and why?

I think we all realize that were not in Kansas anymore and since we're fresh out of Time Machines, how do we handle our population explosion moving forward?

crookhaven
People think that improving the infrastructure will make it worse. See all the work that was done to stop the turning of 347 into a limited access highway from the Northern State to route 112.

Yes, we do need expanded mass transit, no we won't get it in our lifetimes.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 AM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
I would like to see an improved LIRR with a high speed train that goes from different points in eastern suffolk to manhattan. Trains that are on rails and raised above existing trains so there's nothing in their path and can travel at 80-90 MPH. If it only took 25 minutes to get into manhattan from ronkonkama, or 35 to get to manhattan from riverhead (maybe the train would have to go faster, i dont know the exact distance), those areas of eastern suffolk can grow just like areas in nassau where the commute is only 30 minutes into manhattan.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I would like to see semi-high rise modern apartment buildings at the railroad stations.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,220 times
High speed trains, large high rise buildings ???? move to the city! STOP URBAN SPRAWL ! long island should remain full of open space,clean air,no noise, I moved further out east to wine country the way long island should be! BUT I am slowly getting pushed off the island by the ''we need a target,kohls,high speed trains,ect'',folks. IT's a shame....

Old 09-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
I would like to see an improved LIRR with a high speed train that goes from different points in eastern suffolk to manhattan. Trains that are on rails and raised above existing trains so there's nothing in their path and can travel at 80-90 MPH. If it only took 25 minutes to get into manhattan from ronkonkama, or 35 to get to manhattan from riverhead (maybe the train would have to go faster, i dont know the exact distance), those areas of eastern suffolk can grow just like areas in nassau where the commute is only 30 minutes into manhattan.
you are killing me !!! the day eastern suffolk turns into nass. I hope my kids are long gone too!!! you made me actually tear just thinking of it..

Old 09-03-2008, 08:51 AM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
you are killing me !!! the day eastern suffolk turns into nass. I hope my kids are long gone too!!! you made me actually tear just thinking of it..
sorry pal this is how LI can grow. I wish the days of 100k homes were still here to, but such is life. The best way for eastern suffolk to develop is a high speed train. We don't even need high rise condos... a high speed train from eastern LI will allow many people who work in manhattan to afford a house on eastern LI without a deathly commute.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
sorry pal this is how LI can grow. I wish the days of 100k homes were still here to, but such is life. The best way for eastern suffolk to develop is a high speed train. We don't even need high rise condos... a high speed train from eastern LI will allow many people who work in manhattan to afford a house on eastern LI without a deathly commute.
who the hell says eastern long island needs to grow??you! sorry pal we will bankrupt you!!!NEVER HAPPEN..real long islanders will sit in traffic for 2-3 hours and pay 30k a year in taxes before Moderator cut: comment you get your way!

Last edited by Keeper; 09-03-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: no need for the name calling.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 AM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
High speed trains, large high rise buildings ???? move to the city! STOP URBAN SPRAWL ! long island should remain full of open space,clean air,no noise, I moved further out east to wine country the way long island should be! BUT I am slowly getting pushed off the island by the ''we need a target,kohls,high speed trains,ect'',folks. IT's a shame....
A quote from Perry Duryea about the defeat of the Sunrise Highway extension applies here.

"They said if you build it they would come. They won and it wasn't built. They came anyway and now what do we have?"

What are you going to do when the population explodes anyways? As far as I can see, you should lose the right to complain when it does happen.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
A quote from Perry Duryea about the defeat of the Sunrise Highway extension applies here.

"They said if you build it they would come. They won and it wasn't built. They came anyway and now what do we have?"
This is a good point. The problem with Long Island is not the growth that we have experienced, it is the lack of planning for the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island