Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I was born & raised on LI but when I turned 22 I moved away and have been living in Burlington, VT for 7 years. I have had my career out here and just a few weeks ago was offered a significant salary increase & job title to move back to LI and be closer to friends & family. I currently own a condo here in VT and hope not to sell it (but due to certain bylaws I'm having issues renting it). So considering I'll have to continue paying that mortgage for the time being, I have an extra $1700 a month to spend on a rental.

My job is located in Bayshore. I've been looking around and really not sure where is a safe and quaint place to rent at. We do have a 45 lb dog who is very mellow as well as a cat. I know that's probably going to be the biggest challenge...we come from a very dog-friendly state and moving to one that seems not-so-friendly. Thankfully I have the ability for my boyfriend & the dog to live in our VT condo while I live at my father's house on LI with the cat so that we have time to shop around but...I'm noticing a lot of scary things popping up on Craigslist! I mean half of these, if not more, have to be scams right??

Can anyone help me with any websites or recommendations for realtors? I'm actually starting to panic at the idea of this because based on my initial searches...there isn't much being offered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,214,526 times
The dog will be the biggest problem. Even $1,700 will not get you far for a rental on LI with a 45 lb dog. Does not matter if you claim dog sleeps 24/7 they will not care. Even cat would be a problem. No rental wants any animals at all. Best bet is one of the apt. complexes. Don't forget to add on top of the $1,700 if utilities are not included as is the case with the complexes.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,738,778 times
If the dog is staying in VT with the boyfriend, you'll be OK. Is he staying there for a while? For $1700, you can probably find a nice 2BR. A cat shouldn't be a problem. Most LLs will allow a cat since they're quiet, clean, and are good for rodent control! Dogs are usually more of an issue for LLs because of insurance (dog biting or whatever).

Stay away from CraigsList!!!! Scams galore.

Somerset Woods in North Babylon has very nice apartments and they allow cats. You wouldn't be able to get a 2BR there for $1700 but you could probably get a 1BR. Check out their site (you can google it).

Stay away from Fairfield! I've heard/read many bad things about them.

Since your family is here already, why not have them ask around for you? Maybe they know someone who is renting out a place.

If it comes down to it, would your father be able to take the dog if you can't find a place that will let you have it?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_slaughter View Post
I have an extra $1700 a month to spend on a rental.

My job is located in Bayshore. I've been looking around and really not sure where is a safe and quaint place to rent at. We do have a 45 lb dog who is very mellow as well as a cat. I know that's probably going to be the biggest challenge...we come from a very dog-friendly state and moving to one that seems not-so-friendly. Thankfully I have the ability for my boyfriend & the dog to live in our VT condo while I live at my father's house on LI with the cat so that we have time to shop around but...I'm noticing a lot of scary things popping up on Craigslist! I mean half of these, if not more, have to be scams right??

Can anyone help me with any websites or recommendations for realtors? I'm actually starting to panic at the idea of this because based on my initial searches...there isn't much being offered!

You don't state what size rental you're looking for in the Bay Shore area. If a 1-bedroom (3 - 3 1/2 rooms) is enough, your budget should work. Almost no rentals include electric, many include heat and/or gas.

Very few landlords are willing to accept pets, which severely limits your options (potential for damage = $$). I did see some apartments currently available who may take either a cat or a dog and possibly a few with both. Often there will be additional fees for the pets. Almost all rentals that accept dogs won't take certain breeds - don't know what you have.

And yes, things on CL aren't always what they appear to be; caution advised.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 AM

791 posts, read 1,625,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The dog will be the biggest problem. Even $1,700 will not get you far for a rental on LI with a 45 lb dog. Does not matter if you claim dog sleeps 24/7 they will not care. Even cat would be a problem. No rental wants any animals at all. Best bet is one of the apt. complexes. Don't forget to add on top of the $1,700 if utilities are not included as is the case with the complexes.
Unfortunately most apartment complexes have size and breed restrictions for dogs - many limit dogs to 35 or 40 lbs, and exclude a number of breeds regardless of size (most often pit bulls, but depending on the complex I've also seen leases that prohibit German shepherds, dobermans, rottweilers, and even boxers - not sure why, although I'd guess it has something to do with the breeds' "bite risk" and maybe relates to insurance concerns?).

Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,188,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Unfortunately most apartment complexes have size and breed restrictions for dogs - many limit dogs to 35 or 40 lbs, and exclude a number of breeds regardless of size (most often pit bulls, but depending on the complex I've also seen leases that prohibit German shepherds, dobermans, rottweilers, and even boxers - not sure why, although I'd guess it has something to do with the breeds' "bite risk" and maybe relates to insurance concerns?).

Yes.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,163,836 times
Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com®

Old 02-26-2014, 04:51 PM

409 posts, read 512,863 times
Since you have been away from LI for some time now, you should consider staying with your Dad.
What happens if your new job is not what you expected? Perhaps living on LI is not the place you thought it would be. In the event that things are not working out, you can always go back up north. You are young,so take some time before make a move that you may regret.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,462,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_slaughter View Post
Hey there! I was born & raised on LI but when I turned 22 I moved away and have been living in Burlington, VT for 7 years. I have had my career out here and just a few weeks ago was offered a significant salary increase & job title to move back to LI and be closer to friends & family. I currently own a condo here in VT and hope not to sell it (but due to certain bylaws I'm having issues renting it). So considering I'll have to continue paying that mortgage for the time being, I have an extra $1700 a month to spend on a rental.

Funny I have a two bedroom rental place and the cat and the dog are not an issue. My town has a grouper law single family occupency only so I would not be able to rent to you if your boyfriend wanted to live there too.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,462,001 times
My complex allows dogs and cats. Unless it was a tenant with a small well behaved dog considering how easy it is to rent a place dealing with large dogs and cats is a pain. My place is rented furnished so I avoid pets and smokers in general.

My sister had a big dog when she was newly married and got stuck in dumps, she had a chance to buy a coop at a great price through a family friend and it did not allow dogs,

dogs and cats are a pain when you move from apt to apt.

Trouble is unlike kids, handicapped, religion, race, age etc. It is not something that is a protected class. Landlords in general smell cigarette smoke or hear potential tenant has a large dog watch out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island