Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,894 times

Advertisements

How about Devry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Please dont take Naive in Nassau (aka i love li) as entirely the truth. Hofstra has no great reputation. Its a local school catering to local ambitions but it isnt a garbage institution. You can do very well with a degree from hofstra but you wont be recruited by big firms. With that said, if you can make an elite school, and get a job as a lawyer in a big firm or as an investment banker, that 200,000 in debt will be small change.

I Love Li But....where did you go to college? Elite school or local?
Oh stop being silly ... I'm a junior high school dropout! College? Who needs college? ...rolling my eyes...at gpsma.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticg View Post
Hofstra university with very little loan or an elite liberal arts college which is in top 5 US News ranking with large 200k loan?
International student with no visa to work in US.
Dream: Wall street, iBanking, law school, MBA

I've made to the most selective school but the money makes me think again. Will I be happy at Hofra?

Simply put, you will not get into iBanking/Wall Street with a Hofstra degree. Those are very competitive industries, that can afford to filter out applicants based solely on the prestige of their degree. Hofstra has zero prestige.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
IF you have the grades do your under grad at Hofstra and then apply to another institution for your JD or MBA.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
IF you have the grades do your under grad at Hofstra and then apply to another institution for your JD or MBA.
Do not plan on being able to do this.

#1-You can only get your MBA after years of work experience, and you will not get into a top-notch MBA program working in the kinds of positions that will be available to you with a Hofstra degree;

#2-Although you can apply to law school straight from undergrad, the fact is, law schools know Hofstra is a "lesser" school, so unless you've got a 4.0 with an amazing LSAT and stellar recommendations, you will struggle to get into the highest-ranked law schools.

Nothing but a degree from a first-rate institution will get you into investment banking or in the door at one of the major Wall St. players. Hofstra ain't it, and it will be a real struggle to develop the type of credentials needed for a first-rate graduate school with a Hofstra education.

(If you wanted to be in almost any other field, I'd be telling you to go for Hofstra - it's a decent enough school and a free education is a huge benefit in this day and age. However, there is almost no way to make the jump from an undergrad like Hofstra to a white-shoe law firm or a major i-banking firm; if you're 100% certain that that's what you want to do, you need the credentials to make it happen.)

Old 04-06-2014, 05:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
You dont need work experience to get an MBA. I know many people who went straight to grad school right after undergrad

Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh stop being silly ... I'm a junior high school dropout! College? Who needs college? ...rolling my eyes...at gpsma.
Oh come on now we know you are an Ivy League grad. You have a BS, MS and PHD....you know what they stand for...BS, More of the Same, and Piled,High and Deep.

Your erudite commentary is the only reason LI CD is here for!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticg View Post
[b]
Dream: Wall street, iBanking, law school,
These are dying industries in America. The way to land a US job in a big city, big company nowadays is with a degree in computer science.

Maybe you want to get a job in i-banking or law in Hong Kong or Singapore? Better check where they recruit their employees. I suspect it's not from Hofstra.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You dont need work experience to get an MBA. I know many people who went straight to grad school right after undergrad
Ditto this. My advice is Hofstra, then law school or MBA which ever floats your boat when the times comes. I think you need to stop planning the "forever' part of you life and worry about what is in front of you now. I would be wealthy if every high school kid I know followed the career path they thought they would when they were in high school. Also, often times if you are bright, the company will pay a portion of the mba tuition. Take one step at a time and don't plan so far ahead. It is nice to have dreams and goals but you need to creep before you can walk.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 AM

483 posts, read 670,860 times
I've known people to graduate as undergrads at Farmingdale and Stony Brook and get into wonderful graduate programs, including very good law schools. It is all in how much you study and apply yourself. Study like there is no tomorrow, get a mentor, bug the professors for internships, ect. DO NOT get into debt as an undergraduate-save that $$$ for graduate school or to start your household. 200,000 is a lot of money. And one last piece of advice. The LSAT counts for lot, much more than your choice of undergraduate school. Start studying that test two years in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island