Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Ha! I think I made my point exactly the way I wanted to, thank you.
And how does you being rude to the OP when he asked for advice helping anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Agreed. My commute is 3 hours door to door.

Plus you can take that job and still look for others and if something closer to home comes your way, just leave.
3 hours door to door? Remind me again, do you work in Philly or West Point?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Used to take me 35 minutes on SS from the The Pines to Central Ave in Bethpage for my first job. Take it OP, 45 isn't bad.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM

18 posts, read 97,541 times
Im switching from a 5 minutes commute to work, to a 45 minute commute. For more pay/worst benefits... Is that a good move?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
3 hours door to door? Remind me again, do you work in Philly or West Point?
I walk from my house to the train 1.5 miles then I walk from Penn to my office

Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
Quote:
That amount of walking is great for your heart and for weight management. It's worth a few extra minutes on your commute.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
How long is your train ride? I thought that you worked on Long Island?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
How long is your train ride? I thought that you worked on Long Island?
How long is it or how long is it supposed to be? lol

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
And how does you being rude to the OP when he asked for advice helping anyone?
I copped the response I did (call it rude or whatever) because the OP is clearly oblivious to the tens of thousands of people who grind away on the LIE and SSP, EVERYDAY. Some even from out of state.

"What? There's people who commute to/from CT/NJ!? No freakin' Way!"

Yes, son. 45 minutes is quite average for a commute on Long Island. You aren't doing anything extraordinary here. This is life.

Now, I could have totally sugar-coated it by saying to not compromise until OP find's his dream job, doing what your love and getting paid a great living to do it. Perhaps a job that will let you telecommute, all while being protected by a union, has a great pension, guaranteed 5% raises every 6 months, and a such highly respected profession that you get out of traffic stops and get free meals or 10% discounts at place you go to.

I'm sure if the OP waits long enough, something exactly like this will fall right into his web-surfing lap.

Harden up.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I copped the response I did (call it rude or whatever) because the OP is clearly oblivious to the tens of thousands of people who grind away on the LIE and SSP, EVERYDAY. Some even from out of state.

"What? There's people who commute to/from CT/NJ!? No freakin' Way!"

Yes, son. 45 minutes is quite average for a commute on Long Island. You aren't doing anything extraordinary here. This is life.

Now, I could have totally sugar-coated it by saying to not compromise until OP find's his dream job, doing what your love and getting paid a great living to do it. Perhaps a job that will let you telecommute, all while being protected by a union, has a great pension, guaranteed 5% raises every 6 months, and a such highly respected profession that you get out of traffic stops and get free meals or 10% discounts at place you go to.

I'm sure if the OP waits long enough, something exactly like this will fall right into his web-surfing lap.

Harden up.
Instead of being rude, your response should have been something like "45 minutes is not a long commute by Long Island standards. Since you do not currently have a job, I suggest that you take this job, since jobs are hard to find. If you absolutely cannot tolerate the commute, then once you have some work experience and some money, try to either move closer to the job, or try to find a better job that is closer to your home and/or higher paying". Why couldn't you give a response like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island