Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
lol seriously. And hasn't Mits brought up the dress code thing before? I find it a little funny that is a top concern. There are organizations that are dedicated to helping people find nice things to wear for a job.
You completely missed the point about the dress code. Posters here claim that NYC firms pay more than LI firms. My point is that may be true, but you also have larger expenses working for an NYC firm. One such expense is, since NYC firms have more formal dress codes, you will pay more for clothes. That means less money in your pocket. I think I've explained it enough times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 PM

202 posts, read 265,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
First of all, I've shown the math that shows that JDawg has literally zero free time, as would I if I was commuting to NYC. You can't just make time for family when there is no spare time. There are only 24 hours in a day.

Secondly, you assume that jobs in NYC always give you more money than a LI job. While NYC jobs typically have higher base salaries, there are other criteria that means your disposable income with a NYC job might not be any higher than with an LI job:

(Note that these are all about my field. I realize some fields might be different)

1. You will pay a good chunk of that salary to the LIRR and possibly the NYC subway

2. You will spend a good chunk of that salary on formal clothes (the firm I work for on LI has a casual dress code. Most firms in my field in NYC have formal dress codes, requiring more expensive clothes)

3. Firms in my field in NYC give poorer quality health insurance, and it is more expensive (so you lose more of your salary to health insurance premiums, and it defeats your argument about your mother's oral gum surgery).

4. Firms in my field in NYC give less vacation time and fewer paid holidays. So that defeats the family vacation argument that you gave.

My point is that taking a job in NYC would seriously diminish my quality of life, and in the end will give little or no extra money.
I was talking in generalities. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't turn down better job opportunities just because it might encounter a more work hours and longer commute.

I'm sure those people who work in NYC have plenty of free time on the days they have off. People just don't tend to have a lot of spare time on their work days, that's the reality of it. This is why the weekends exist.

Oral surgery is minimally covered by most plans offered, my dad paid mostly out of pocket. I wouldn't complain about having to dress up for work, you can find nice dress clothes that are inexpensive.

Last edited by Coinnle Corra; 04-16-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
I was talking in generalities. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't turn down better job opportunities just because it might encounter a more work hours and longer commute.
But that is a matter of preference. I would have no interest I more money if it requires longer work hours or a longer commute, since it would give me less time to enjoy that money. Different people feel differently. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I'm sure those people who work in NYC have plenty of free time on the days they have off. People just don't tend to have a lot of spare time on their work days, that's the reality of it. This is why the weekends exist.
At least in my field, most NYC firms expect employees to work weekends.

Quote:
Oral surgery is minimally covered by most plans offered, my dad paid mostly out of pocket. I wouldn't complain about having to dress up for work, you can find nice dress clothes that are inexpensive.
My job on Long Island has dental insurance that would cover oral surgery.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,386 times
Quote:
But that is a matter of preference. I would have no interest I more money if it requires longer work hours or a longer commute, since it would give me less time to enjoy that money. Different people feel differently. Nothing wrong with that.

At least in my field, most NYC firms expect employees to work weekends.

My job on Long Island has dental insurance that would cover oral surgery.
You do realize not every thread on this board is about you and your personal preferences, right?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
You do realize not every thread on this board is about you and your personal preferences, right?
But my point is that not everybody has the same personal preferences. You cannot blanketly give advice that works for everyone.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
JDawg got me somewhat off topic, since I'm talking about her 3 hour commute, not the 45 minute commute of the OP (which even I would be willing to accept).
Did you even read jdawg's post in its entirety or just focus on the dreaded 3 hour commute?

jdawg is in a unique situation she chose to do personally that not many NYC commuters would choose, hence her "3 hour commute" is NOT typical of 99.9% of LI to NYC commuters!

She chooses to walk 1.5 miles to the LIRR station ... that is part of why her commute is 3 hours and something that is atypical of other commuters.

She also chooses to walk A LONG DISTANCE from Penn Station to her job location ... again that is part of why her commute is 3 hours and something that is atypical of other commuters.

I commend jdawg for her physical fitness program, but that is all it is.

Quote:
First of all, I've shown the math that shows that JDawg has literally zero free time, as would I if I was commuting to NYC. You can't just make time for family when there is no spare time. There are only 24 hours in a day.
No, you have (a) hijacked the OP's thread completely in another attempt at a vortex and are (b) incorrectly seizing on jdawg's information on using walking during her commute for physical fitness as "proof" of your cockamamie theory of how ALL NYC commuters have no time for themselves. WRONG!

Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,386 times
Side note (and JDawg, feel free to weigh in here) - wouldn't someone consider walking as "time to themselves" when that hour+ walk is being taken in place of, say, an hour at the gym? Just because she happens to be walking in the direction of the train station, it doesn't count as personal time? That strikes me as silly.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Side note (and JDawg, feel free to weigh in here) - wouldn't someone consider walking as "time to themselves" when that hour+ walk is being taken in place of, say, an hour at the gym? Just because she happens to be walking in the direction of the train station, it doesn't count as personal time? That strikes me as silly.
Exactly. My walk is jdawg time for thinking, spending time with jdawg lol and I usually get a tea on my way too (and maybe a crumpet)

Lets not forget I also have Saturdays and Sundays free, which I use for friends and family and some other fitness-y & fun stuff

There were older threads where I stated I worked weekends. Thankfully that has changed. I worked my butt off and proved myself and now I finally have a normal work week.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-17-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
You completely missed the point about the dress code. Posters here claim that NYC firms pay more than LI firms. My point is that may be true, but you also have larger expenses working for an NYC firm. One such expense is, since NYC firms have more formal dress codes, you will pay more for clothes. That means less money in your pocket. I think I've explained it enough times.
My co lets us wear jeans so... How am I spending more on clothing?

Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
But it's not time that you have available to do whatever you want, or to rest, or to take care of chores such as cooking, shopping, or mowing the lawn, nor is it time spent with your spouse and/or kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island