Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM

188 posts, read 358,281 times

Advertisements

I lived on LI for 30 years and am now in Las Vegas. I follow Newsday on FB and saw a headline that read Nassau police were investigating 2 burglaries in the county. Is crime really THAT low? According to the Las Vegas police crime map, we had 288 burglaries this past week alone and none of them made the news. Population is a little higher in Vegas than Nassau, but still. I don't know if the Nassau crime map is accurate but it stated only 98 burglaries for the whole year. Are home invasions really that rare there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
No. It is much higher than that.
Only a small portion of stuff makes it to the news. Crime is out of control in Nassau. Mostly silly stuff like burglaries, theft, vandalism, domestics,
muggings, etc...murder is still kinda low I guess aside from the gang stuff and occassional serial killer. Oh and murder for hire plots, they seem to be on an upswing.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Nassau's crime rate is much lower than Vegas'. Vegas is a tourist city where people go to flash their money around, go out, wander and drink. Gamble. Transiency, ect. That is the perfect recipe for crime. If you want to compare, compare your suburban area to Nassau.

Even NYC has half the crime rate of LV

Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Only a small portion of stuff makes it to the news. Crime is out of control in Nassau. Mostly silly stuff like burglaries, theft, vandalism, domestics,
muggings, etc...murder is still kinda low I guess aside from the gang stuff and occassional serial killer. Oh and murder for hire plots, they seem to be on an upswing.

Really? Can you back that up with some facts? links? All of Nassau or just where you live?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Can you post where you got that info from? According to Mangano and law enforcement, crime is down

Mangano And Nassau County Police Announce New Approach To Fighting Crime

Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano and Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter today announced a new crime fighting predictive analysis that not only helps stop crimes before they occur but that has also contributed to a reduction in Major Crime of 13.16% year-to-date. This reduction in crime is on top of the 10% crime reduction that has taken place since County Executive Mangano took office in 2010.

Since the inception of STRAT-COM in January 2014, major crimes have decreased more than thirteen percent and directed patrols have affected over 100 arrests of targeted subjects. Several Major crime issues have been solved in the first few months of operation. This impressive first step proves that STRAT-COM will continue to evolve into an invaluable law enforcement tool that will maintain Nassau County’s decreasing crime rate well into the twenty-first century.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
I lived on LI for 30 years and am now in Las Vegas. I follow Newsday on FB and saw a headline that read Nassau police were investigating 2 burglaries in the county. Is crime really THAT low? According to the Las Vegas police crime map, we had 288 burglaries this past week alone and none of them made the news. Population is a little higher in Vegas than Nassau, but still. I don't know if the Nassau crime map is accurate but it stated only 98 burglaries for the whole year. Are home invasions really that rare there?
How can you compare crime concentrated to a 135 sq mile city with a 453 sq mile county made up of a few cities and hamlets?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
Yes home invasions are very rare in Nassau, and if you do them, you're going to need a time machine or to become immortal to ever see the outside again in your lifetime because they don't fool around here with home invaders AT ALL. Example:

55 years in jail for robber - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

Quote:
Levy Robinson, 46, of Jamaica, Queens, was sentenced to 55 years in prison by County Court Judge David Sullivan, along with five years of post-release supervision. After a three-week trial, he was convicted in March on several charges, including robbery, burglary, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, unlawful imprisonment and endangering the welfare of a child. The jury found him guilty of 14 felonies and 11 misdemeanors.
Levy Robinson was not even the mastermind of the crime; it was actually a relative of the victims. (How low can you go?):

Quote:
A third suspect, 25-year-old Varinder Singh of North Valley Stream, was also arrested for his involvement in planning the home invasion. He pleaded guilty last year to several charges and was sentenced to seven years in prison.
If you watch reality live action crime shows on TV, also note Nassau and Suffolk DO NOT get on these shows often. I only saw Nassau (Long Beach) once on a crime show and it was "Speeders." Unlike other large suburban areas, producers of "Cops," "Police Women of ______," "The First 48," etc., do not produce shows here. There is not enough action around here and would make for BORING TV shows.

Nassau (and Suffolk) also always place highly in surveys of "the safest places in America." Here's one survey:

Where Are The Safest Places To Live In The United States?

The top 20 safest communities to live among the large metro areas are:

Quote:
1. Boise City-Nampa, Idaho
2. Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, Maine
3. Las Vegas-Paradise, Nevada
4. Honolulu, Hawaii
5. Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Roseville, California
6. Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazelton, Pennsylvania
7. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, California
8. Bethesda-Gaithersburg-Frederick, Maryland
9. Syracuse, New York
10. Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, California
11. El Paso, Texas
12. Albany-Troy-Schenectady, New York
13. Rochester, New York
14. Buffalo-Niagara Falls, New York
15. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks- Ventura, California
16. Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown, New York
17. Nassau-Suffolk, New York
18. Harrisburg-Carlisle, Pennsylvania
19. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut.
20. New Haven-Milford, Connecticut.
Also note that Paradise, NV ranked well up there. So, as other people already said, Las Vegas' suburban areas are not as bad as you think!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM

I have family on the "force" aka public dime. I get all the inside scoop on what is really going on. Stats are skewed for numerous and obvious reasons so don't believe the hype. They also use creative license when they make these announcements that crime is down.
Maybe violent crime is down but robberies may be up. They wont tell you the part about which crime is down they will generalize. Which when called out on stuff like this they can actually claim they didn't lie.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
I have family on the "force" aka public dime. I get all the inside scoop on what is really going on. Stats are skewed for numerous and obvious reasons so don't believe the hype. They also use creative license when they make these announcements that crime is down.
Maybe violent crime is down but robberies may be up. They wont tell you the part about which crime is down they will generalize. Which when called out on stuff like this they can actually claim they didn't lie.
Robbery is a violent crime.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:38 PM

I'm actually more scared of getting run over or t-boned by a car than getting mugged, so even if certain crimes are in fact up, I still feel relatively safe in most of Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island