Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 78,742 times

Advertisements

Don't give exact addresses but where in E Northport is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:50 PM

68 posts, read 422,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I have a drug dealer across the street from my house. All day long, cars pull up. The owner hops in. 10 minutes later, they drive back and the deal is done.

I've called the East Northport cops probably 20 times. 2 of my neighbors say they've called too. They've done nothing. Only when I get really beligerant will they send a copy to simply drive past the house.

Any suggestions? I don't know what I'd rather do - embarrass the lazy cops here or get this guy busted. Given the tax bill I just received, I almost believe I'd rather embarrass the cops.
Welcome to the "low crime, great schools" suburbs of Long Island.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Like omigawd said, try to contact the Narcotics Division directly. But you cannot simply say I think there is a drug dealer operating across from my house. Take a week or so and record everything down that you see. Time & date, vehicle description w/ license plate number, occupant description, do you see money/product exchange etc. The detectives will run the plate info & see if there are any prior arrests or warrants for the owner and begin to build a case. Then they will start their own surveillance if the info you provided warrants it. You can send it anonymous but it will not lend as much credibility as if it were signed. You can send it to this address:

Suffolk County Police Department
Major Crimes Bureau/ Narcotics Division
P.O. BOX 343
YAPHANK, N.Y. 11980

Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I have considered taping the activity and posting it on YouTube along with advertising drugs on Craigslist.

I've also threatened the East Northport cops to go to the press, and they laugh, say "go ahead."
dude, be REAAL careful with the tapings. if you're gonna do it from your window, roof, basement, and post it somewhere, its going to be PLAINLY obvious where the video came from.
If the guy is a dealer, then theres usually 3 laws they live by.
1- dont fck with my $$$
2- dont fck with my drugs
3- dont fck with my family.
you will be fcking with all 3.
IMO your best bet would be getting license plate numbers and compile them. for cars that are coming alot, you can perhaps give that to the police and maybe the plates are attached to someone that has a warrant. then the cops might act.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:27 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The Northport-East Northport school district is struggling with a huge drug problem and it has to come from somewhere.
I'm not sure where you get that from. I live in East Northport and have family members who work for the district. From what I understand the Northport-East Northport school district does not have a greater drug problem then anywhere else. I certainly would not charecterize them as "struggling with a huge drug problem".

Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Our police in Babylon are pretty good about investigating these kinds of things. Of course, they have to witness things themselves. Otherwise, people could just blame
disliked neighbors for all kinds of offenses and that would lead to false arrests and all.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,595 times
It's certainly a good idea to get the plate numbers of the cars. I had friends experience a similar situation, and this is the advice given to them by the police. What they were to do with the information, I don't know. Unfortunately for you, I don't think you'll get anywhere by taking a hard-nosed attitude with the police. I wonder if it would do any good to set up a neighborhood watch. Those signs might not be the greatest thing for property values, but if they have any deterrent value at all, it might help you. I'm not sure, but I think as part of a neighborhood watch program, it's OK and even expected that the license plates of cars parked on the street will be recorded by the neighborhood "watchers." I can tell you that if I was up to no good, the last thing I would want is my plate number recorded! I would avoid that like the plague. Also, this program may establish some sort of a dialogue with the police, and something is better than nothing, which is what you've got at the present, as far as the police are concerned. Also, it would help to know the type of drug dealer you live by. Is it a hardened criminal, like a parolee? Or is it a dumb kid? There are lots of those around, selling drugs out of their parents' houses, often with the parents turning a blind eye or not even knowing. I've heard about quite a few. The good thing about those is that they tend to move on, to college, or an apartment, or whatever. Also, their customers (likely to be other kids) are far more likely to be intimidated by measures such as plate recording. Like the other posters, I think you should stay away from more aggressive tactics like revealing the address on Craigslist. I feel very bad for you, and understand your desperation, but that sounds like a very dangerous course of action. Somebody suggested contacting the press, I think, but liability issues may go along with that. While I fully agree with you that this is a drug dealing site, let's assume for a moment that they are selling Avon products out of the house (for argument's sake). If that's the case, and an address or even a name of an innocent person is revealed by the press, a lot of legal trouble could ensue. I think they would be hesitant, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default Agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I'm not sure where you get that from. I live in East Northport and have family members who work for the district. From what I understand the Northport-East Northport school district does not have a greater drug problem then anywhere else. I certainly would not charecterize them as "struggling with a huge drug problem".
I get that from having lived in the school district for twelve years and having had two children in the system.

I'm not saying it's any worse (or better) then other school districts because quite frankly I only know about the one. However between friends with children in both Northport Middle and Northport High as well as friends who teach in the district I've long heard about the issue. Sadly a very good friend of mine nearly lost her son to drug abuse that originated while he was attending the high school. The details he shared about recreational drug use and how wide spread it was chilled me to the bone. My friend (the mother) had warned me that I needed to be extra vigilant as my children advanced through the system. She believed it was the result of the perfect storm effect; children with plenty of disposable cash and loads of unsupervised time mixed with parents either disengaged or working.

One of my teacher friends had said that the district is aggressively addressing the situation but without admitting they have a problem. This program (http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/huntington/blog/2007/11/northport_schools_set_mandator_1.html - broken link) is part of their plan of attack.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I get that from having lived in the school district for twelve years and having had two children in the system.

I'm not saying it's any worse (or better) then other school districts because quite frankly I only know about the one. However between friends with children in both Northport Middle and Northport High as well as friends who teach in the district I've long heard about the issue. Sadly a very good friend of mine nearly lost her son to drug abuse that originated while he was attending the high school. The details he shared about recreational drug use and how wide spread it was chilled me to the bone. My friend (the mother) had warned me that I needed to be extra vigilant as my children advanced through the system. She believed it was the result of the perfect storm effect; children with plenty of disposable cash and loads of unsupervised time mixed with parents either disengaged or working.

One of my teacher friends had said that the district is aggressively addressing the situation but without admitting they have a problem. This program (http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/huntington/blog/2007/11/northport_schools_set_mandator_1.html - broken link) is part of their plan of attack.
I'm not saying that they don't have their share, only that you should not malign the school district by implying that the drug problem there is greater then anyplace else might be. Recreational drug use has always been prevelant in High Schools. I think that your comment about unsupervised time is on the mark. I have always made sure that my kids were involved in loads of healty, supervised, extracuricular activites and that has kept them away from drugs. This is an issue that has gone on at all Long Island High Schools as long as I can remember, even back to when I was in High School in the early 70's.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default You should be a politician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nice neighborhood, celebrate diversity.

How secure is your house?
Does the guy show any signs with being affiliated with a gang?
Mr. Clark...well done in evading the "diversity" comment when called on it by NYNewbie. You know what you meant...him being white was probably an inconvenient truth ...I thought better of you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island