Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:15 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times

Advertisements

I say give them all to the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yes you are referring to the human trafficking law. The Democrats in congress will never allow that loophole to be closed.
How else would they garner future new voters?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Statue of Liberty: "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Racism and Bigotry: "Just don't send them near me."
Legal vs illegal immigration buddy.

You do know that when that phrase was coined they wouldn't allow sick, indigent, mentally incapable, or other varieties of people from entering, right? And that Irish immigration waves were subject to a variety of persecution by local residents and law makers (fun fact: the NY Sullivan Act gun law was put into place by a guy with Syphilis Neurosis so the Irish and Italian immigrants couldn't defend themselves against his mob cronies).

Old 08-31-2014, 07:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Legal vs illegal immigration buddy.

You do know that when that phrase was coined they wouldn't allow sick, indigent, mentally incapable, or other varieties of people from entering, right? And that Irish immigration waves were subject to a variety of persecution by local residents and law makers (fun fact: the NY Sullivan Act gun law was put into place by a guy with Syphilis Neurosis so the Irish and Italian immigrants couldn't defend themselves against his mob cronies).
I love when people quote that and act like it's 1890. There is no westward expansion or industrialization anymore that required mass amounts of immigration. It was a different time. We are now a nation trillions in debt with 300 million + people and finite resources. We should now be seeking those who will bring jobs, are educated, invest etc,. We have enough of our own poor and destitute in this country that need to be helped, we simply can't do the same for the rest of the world.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How else would they garner future new voters?
Simply by eliminating the middle class.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 AM

413 posts, read 598,892 times
Ha Ha, the great swindle continues. Keep fighting over dem vs rep, lib vs con, black vs white, 1100 brown kids... Or look at realistic problems:

Massive trade deficits (loss of economic self-suffiency, dependence on foreign production and financing)
Unnecessary wars (inept foreign policy, abandonment of constitutionally mandated neutrality).
Corporate tax loopholes
Dysfunctional (incompetent) Government (abysmal voter participation)
Failed war on drugs and the explosion of prison populations.

Then add Healthcare, Immigration and Education. 1100 kids is not the problem. Failure to do ANYTHING about illegal immigration because both parties have interests in keeping them coming and voters are a joke who don't matter compared to money IS the problem. Money makes policy, voters watch TV.

1100 kids?! Big whoop.

Read more: The Five Biggest Problems Facing America

Old 08-31-2014, 09:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Ha Ha, the great swindle continues. Keep fighting over dem vs rep, lib vs con, black vs white, 1100 brown kids... Or look at realistic problems:

Massive trade deficits (loss of economic self-suffiency, dependence on foreign production and financing)
Unnecessary wars (inept foreign policy, abandonment of constitutionally mandated neutrality).
Corporate tax loopholes

Then add Healthcare, Immigration and Education. 1100 kids is not the problem. Failure to do ANYTHING about illegal immigration because both parties have interests in keeping them coming and voters are a joke who don't matter compared to money IS the problem. Money makes policy, voters watch TV.

1100 kids?! Big whoop.

This actually isn't the classic dem vs. republican as you put it. This is the rare case that both sides are complicit. Democrats want their future entitlement voters and Republicans (beholden to corporate lobbyists) want their slave wages. After all why pay a USC college graduate 70k with benefits to be a programmer when you can pay a Pakistani immigrant H1B 35k with no benefits and he'll gladly take the job.

Big whoop you say? This is only the very beginning. As you said it isn't the 1100 kids themselves that are the problem, it's the complete non enforcement of our immigration laws that created this situation and will only continue to make it worse as time goes on.

And although I agree that some of those problems above are major and should be addressed, others are certainly debatable especially coming from an obvious liberal blog.

Last edited by peconic117; 08-31-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post

Corporate tax loopholes

1100 kids?! Big whoop.

Together the points you've indicated are the giant national iceberg while the 1,100 children on LI is the tip we see.

Voter apathy + career politicians, corporate lobbyists, the highest corporate tax rates, NAFTA fallout have us significantly weakened and unable to compete at a global level. That people can name a litany of pop music and movie stars, but have no idea who their elected officials are, is frightening.

A few years back I took my youngest to see Wall-E , I came out of the theater wondering whether the fat, satiated, unmotivated citizens on the spaceship (who cared only for what the Corporation had to give them) wasn't an allegory for people becoming dependent on government, to the point they blindly believed, followed, and permitted themselves to be contained for their own safety.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:32 AM

413 posts, read 598,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And although I agree that some of those problems above are major and should be addressed, others are certainly debatable especially coming from an obvious liberal blog.
Actually none of my points came directly from that blog and it was only one of many I was reading. I don't even know how it linked to my post. That blog is a goof. My concerns are way more economic than social and certainly not sided lib or con one way or the other. Any class warfare arguments are common sense rebalancing of a sham trickle down fiasco and not geared towards the occupy crowd or 99% lib crusaders. I like the rich, I want to be one. I don't like when they become systemic greedy d-bags who corrupt the game against everyone else getting to live a decent life...particularly middle class Americans getting tossed under the capitalist bus which is the currrent fashion. Again I don't worry about the 1100 kids coming in as much as I do about the 600,000 jobs going out to lift the stock price .013 cents. Long Island is the microcosm of "how do we support this standard of living when we don't make anything?" That's the problem, not the "burden" of the $130k/yr 1st grade teacher having to manage 1 more kid.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
What a waste of money for people who will become landscapers, dishwashers and incarcerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island